Groups

Selling an Ipad on ebay scams to watch out for?

buyer has 100+ feedback and active for just over a year.

what raised my suspicions was the name & request for overnight delivery

18 Comments

I had an s7 sold on ebay for 500+
    Sent to confirmed pp address whos ebay was in the 600 positives

A week later told by paypal it was a fraud but still managed to claim as i was covered

So to be honest you cannot tell who is a genuine buyer
    You just gotto take the risk but always send recorded or special delivery depending on value as this is the proof you would defo have to give to pp incase **** hits the fan
    And sometimes if your luck is out you lose out both sides cash and item.
    Maybe gumtree better option on expensive items ?
    Edited by: "optimus_prime2" 6th Jun

Original Poster

thanks for your reply......I might cancel this sale.

ebay is ok for selling cheap items......anything above £100 seems to get risky!

Many ebay + Paypal hacked accounts used for fraud, actual original owner doesn't realise until they have loads of purchases on a certain day. Best to send at least a day or 2 after the ebay sale, and then call paypal to see if anything's been flagged by their system for the buyers name/address etc.
    Of course there's also many dodgy ebayers that want something for nothing and also may claim they didn't order it or the item didn't turn up.
    Always send tracked, insured for the full cost and requiring a signature.

Original Poster

one message I received from the buyer before they bought through ebay

"Ok great. What about the delivery please ? It s going to be next day ? Can you send me your PayPal account please ?"

Original Poster

then they paid £5 more than we agreed and sent this

"Hi, I paid you £1** for you to send it to me next delivery please ... Thank you"

some claim not as described send it back to you you sign for it on return open it and it is a lump of wood. you have signed for it nothing you can do

refund them, that does sound dodgy

tell them PayPal is holding onto the funds and You're not comfortable with that. if they still want to buy they can do a bank transfer

Sell to buyer face to face collection only with cash up front or don't bid.

Original Poster

welder299

some claim not as described send it back to you you sign for it on return … some claim not as described send it back to you you sign for it on return open it and it is a lump of wood. you have signed for it nothing you can do

I should send them a piece of wood!

You've heard of gumtree right?
    Free to advertise and people turn up with cold hard cash without he worry of posting.

Original Poster

the buyer had an african name too.

confusedx

So because they have an African sounding name they are going to be fraudulent? That's quite a narrow minded discriminatory view.

confusedx

one message I received from the buyer before they bought through ebay"Ok … one message I received from the buyer before they bought through ebay"Ok great. What about the delivery please ? It s going to be next day ? Can you send me your PayPal account please ?"

They don't need to know your Paypal Account, Ebay checkout would handle this. This tells me that they don't have access to the email for that Ebay account and/or they want it sent to an address that doesn't match the paypal account.

You'll get no seller protection going outside of the Ebay bubble. Either the Paypal account is stolen or they'll say it didn't arrive and you'll have no comeback.

I'd be 95% sure it's a scam.

confusedx

​and that instantly means scammer...... maybe you should get scammed to be honest, solely because you're a tad narrow minded and racist.

Original Poster

NotTayyeb

and that instantly means scammer...... maybe you should get scammed to be … and that instantly means scammer...... maybe you should get scammed to be honest, solely because you're a tad narrow minded and racist.

it's about targeting fraud.......put an expensive electronic item on ebay and you will see what I mean.....you will get quite a few people from africa trying to get you to ship it out the country......(or using a shipping contact within the UK)

Had a scammer do me out of some money, sent an unmarked USB Killer to the address, my only distress was i wasnt able to witness the **** using it

confusedx

it's about targeting fraud.......put an expensive electronic item on ebay … it's about targeting fraud.......put an expensive electronic item on ebay and you will see what I mean.....you will get quite a few people from africa trying to get you to ship it out the country......(or using a shipping contact within the UK)

​sure, and I do sell stuff on eBay all the time.... it's just kinda assey to just assume someone's a scammer based on the origin of their name, no?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767197
      2. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!55
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047093
      4. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie11

See more discussions