Groups

Selling an iPad on Gumtree...

I'm selling an iPad on Gumtree and have someone coming to collect it tomorrow. I've made it clear that cash on collection is required. Is there any precautions that I should take in relation to factory reset or taking the money?

You hear about lots of scams on Gumtree and I just want to be 100% safe.

Thanks.

13 Comments

Most of the time you won't run into a problem. Don't rush things and have someone with you who can check the cash to make sure the notes aren't fake.

If you are meeting in a neutral location and not your house (always best to), make sure its somewhere where people are around such as at mcdonalds. Scammers might try and rush you or their body language might seem off. Just remember it's your ipad so if things dont seem right, call it off.

get them to meet u at a shop and ask them to check the money

lisafierka1

get them to meet u at a shop and ask them to check the money

Early contender for 'worst suggestion of the year' there.

Log out of iCloud and do a full erase and reset before they get to touch it. If they want to test it, they can use their details.

And check the £ notes you're given. Actually hold each one up and check. If they're a legit buyer, they won't have a problem with this.

Take pics of ipad working and it's conditions also the s/n if they say there is a fault your covered

Banned

artnada

And check the £ notes you're given. Actually hold each one up and check. … And check the £ notes you're given. Actually hold each one up and check. If they're a legit buyer, they won't have a problem with this.

​wow. you can see the foil just by tilting the note

Just remember to write down your serial number.

I always meet in a busy supermarket, lot of people around and cameras

allowed

I always meet in a busy supermarket, lot of people around and cameras

I would never buy something expensive from someone who wants me to meet me at a shop. It's either a house or no deal, just looks dodgy otherwise. On the flip side I have offered to meet buyers at a bank for very expensive purchases, it means everything is on CCTV if you're inside and you can put the money in your account while they wait.

I am very experienced with selling goods on Gumtree. Just do the norm and you'll be fine; wipe the iPad, take note of the serial number, count the cash in front of the buyer.
    Edited by: "joshp" 2nd Jan

Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice. Unfortunately the buyer did not turn up to collect but I will bare this information in mind for future trading.

devshib

Take pics of ipad working and it's conditions also the s/n if they say … Take pics of ipad working and it's conditions also the s/n if they say there is a fault your covered

sold as seen, don't need to be covered

I bought an iPad from gumtree in a busy public space with tables and chairs. I chatted with the seller to see if he was legit or not.

Definitely recommend going to a public place and for the buyer to check the item in front of the seller.

Hope you're able to find another buyer soon!

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844473
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553782
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?816
      4. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers911

See more discussions