Selling Car on ebay - a few questions please

Posted 2nd Oct
Hi Guys

I bought a new car this week and so now am looking at how best to go about selling my old car.

Its a Seat Leon SE (special edition) 1.6 - 2006 plate - has done 100k miles and i would class as average condition for its age, a few marks here and there but generally in decent condition and mechanically it drives perfect.
The vehicle has quite alot of history as i have always kept MOT certs and receipts of any repairs work its had over the years, so things like the mileage etc are all logged through the years.

We buy any car valued my car at £575 but i really do think it could be worth a little more so am looking at how i can achieve the best price to sell it.

There is an almost identical car for sale on ebay ( item number 254339556893) - this car has done a few more miles and is priced at £1,595 - but this is from a car dealer and they offer warrenty etc.

Can anyone please give me a rough idea what a decent price would be to list the car at as i have no idea?? I was going to sell on auto trader but quite a few friends said ebay is cheaper and easier.

Also when selling a car on ebay, is there anything i need to be careful of concerning scammer buyers?

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I will buy it for £2,000 and pay by PayPal (very secure for you) but my friend will have to collect it as I am working away on an oil rig in Antarctica.
19 Comments
What does the auto trader suggest you list it as pricewise?
jabbatheshed02/10/2019 11:57

What does the auto trader suggest you list it as pricewise?

I didn’t know auto trader did a valuation I will check them out and see what it says
nick198102/10/2019 11:59

I didn’t know auto trader did a valuation I will check them out and see w … I didn’t know auto trader did a valuation I will check them out and see what it says

Just click on sell your car and put Yr Reg in, mileage and condition and it'll suggest a price then stick another 3 to 4 hundred on that cos they always suggest a lower price to help sell it quickly.
I will buy it for £2,000 and pay by PayPal (very secure for you) but my friend will have to collect it as I am working away on an oil rig in Antarctica.
deeky02/10/2019 12:04

I will buy it for £2,000 and pay by PayPal (very secure for you) but my …I will buy it for £2,000 and pay by PayPal (very secure for you) but my friend will have to collect it as I am working away on an oil rig in Antarctica.

You should be called "Cheeky" - not Deeky! Haha.
Just done the valuation on auto trader and it states £1,080 if sold private and £290 if part exchanged.
I guess the we buy any car valuation of £575 was kind of in the middle.

Lol thanks for the 2k offer but I maybe more inclined to listen to offers from Nigerian phone callers
nick198102/10/2019 14:22

Just done the valuation on auto trader and it states £1,080 if sold …Just done the valuation on auto trader and it states £1,080 if sold private and £290 if part exchanged.I guess the we buy any car valuation of £575 was kind of in the middle.Lol thanks for the 2k offer but I maybe more inclined to listen to offers from Nigerian phone callers

Gumtree quite good for selling cars and you won’t have any fees to pay.

Now you’ve got a rough idea for valueadd around £100 so buyers can haggle a little and feel they are getting a good deal.

Good luck selling.
Probably £800
nick198102/10/2019 14:22

Just done the valuation on auto trader and it states £1,080 if sold …Just done the valuation on auto trader and it states £1,080 if sold private and £290 if part exchanged.I guess the we buy any car valuation of £575 was kind of in the middle.Lol thanks for the 2k offer but I maybe more inclined to listen to offers from Nigerian phone callers

Nigerian scammers don't usually call so you'd be waiting a long time.
Sold a few cars on eBay before. No test drives without full cash in hand. Cash only. Sold as seen. In my experience dealers have bought the vehicles anyway as they can sell on for a nice profit.
deeky02/10/2019 12:04

I will buy it for £2,000 and pay by PayPal (very secure for you) but my …I will buy it for £2,000 and pay by PayPal (very secure for you) but my friend will have to collect it as I am working away on an oil rig in Antarctica.

Hi, I am Deeky's 'friend' - we both use the term lightly .. I have asked my cousin to collect as he lives far from you and I am blind .. There is a no problem with paypal and so we all ask kindly that you pay us the £2000 up front and we will then collect the car giving you an additional £ for your troubles .. a friend of my cousins will collect you and take you to your banks nearest branch to make the withdrawal (you will need to contribute to the petrol costs)
JumpMan198002/10/2019 17:13

Hi, I am Deeky's 'friend' - we both use the term lightly .. I have asked …Hi, I am Deeky's 'friend' - we both use the term lightly .. I have asked my cousin to collect as he lives far from you and I am blind .. There is a no problem with paypal and so we all ask kindly that you pay us the £2000 up front and we will then collect the car giving you an additional £ for your troubles .. a friend of my cousins will collect you and take you to your banks nearest branch to make the withdrawal (you will need to contribute to the petrol costs)

Hi, I am Deeky's 'friend' - we both use the term lightly .. I have asked …Hi, I am Deeky's 'friend' - we both use the term lightly .. I have asked my cousin to collect as he lives far from you and I am blind .. There is a no problem with paypal and so we all ask kindly that you pay us the £2000 up front and we will then collect the car giving you an additional £ for your troubles .. a friend of my cousins will collect you and take you to your banks nearest branch to make the withdrawal (you will need to contribute to the petrol costs)

Seems legit.... ish
SE - special equipment. It is a trim level.
Adam_C-82b30.6486602/10/2019 20:21

SE - special equipment. It is a trim level.

Ah rite - honestly never knew that, thanks for the info will make sure I put that when selling

You are blind, so the car is for you? I see you bought a braille steering wheel cover from my Chinese cousins.
I'm no fan of facebook but may also be worth thinking about using the local for sale groups on there. Sold mine that way; plenty of enquiries and got a reasonable price. (Autotrader produced just one enquiry, from someone who wanted to buy without seeing so was, I assume, a scam.)
No fee sites like gumtree are quite good for selling lower value cars and there is a reasonable audience on there. You can always try eBay after. With eBay the fees put me off.

As long as it's priced right it should generate a decent amount of interest.

Watch our for the scammers though

There's just something about laptops, phones and cars that seems to attract the wrong sort of people. I dunno why.

I was once offered drugs in exchange for a 57 plate ford focus I was selling. Off course I told him where to go

Good luck with the sale
Try local adverts first on Gumtree, Facebook and maybe Shpock.
Cash only sale, be prepared to reject stupid offers on Mike Brewer, I’m standing here and have 2/3 of what you want offers.
Low cost cars are always in demand, you shouldn’t have any lack in interest.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants