Selling DLC codes on eBay?

Found 24th Jun 2011
Hey people,

So I'm planning on listing a few PSN DLC (downloadable content) codes on eBay tonight. I'm aware that this is legit so long as the delivery option is posted.

However I'm a bit wary about doing this! Just in case I happen to be the one who gets a scamming fraudulent buyer etc

Has anyone ever done this before? How did it work out for you? Any tips for doing it?

Also, turns out I can offer posted delivery or email delivery to the buyer, which would you all recommend? I'd personally rather email, but I know the buyer could say they never received it. Although at the end of the day, I could post it to them recorded delivery and due to the weight they could still say it was an empty envelope! I think either way if a buyer will scam, they're going to scam lol

Gah, so fearful of selling on eBay nowadays and unfortunately I know I can't list them here

Thanks for any replies!
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
11 Comments
Original Poster
I realize that sounds a bit muddled about the posting, sorry lol
People I've spoken to have said that in the listing to offer postal delivery, then email the buyer and ask if they would prefer it emailed...
I have done this a fair bit.

I tend to be very open in the listing saying - I am happy to either send the unscratched (if it can be) card to you by post at no extra cost to you, or I am more than happy to send the code via ebay messaging.

I don't add postage costs at all and if I do message the code I ALWAYS keep every message and the physical code for a few months in the event of the buyers trying a fast one and claiming a problem.
Also, I found it best to list no longer than 5 days as ebay and some people like to complain about digital content and it gets removed.
I also found that the mass majority want the code NOW. I message after I get payment asking about delivery method and I think after 12 codes sold I have posted 2.

Its ebay end of the day. No matter the item sold there is a group of people that buy only to complain and scam.
technically if the code is messaged to them (i.e. non perishable) then its not protected by paypal protection anyway, so even if they do try scam you paypal won't do anything
Original Poster
Ah thank you both!
I appreciate the reassurance
I think I will just offer both delivery options and ask the buyer which they would rather, as I know for one I'd rather it emailed to me!
And I will only list for 3 days as you say
winifer

technically if the code is messaged to them (i.e. non perishable) then … technically if the code is messaged to them (i.e. non perishable) then its not protected by paypal protection anyway, so even if they do try scam you paypal won't do anything

I thought sending this way had no seller protection, but buyer usually always has protection no matter the circumstances.
I'd say emailing a code is a sure fire way to get scammed by the old non receipt scam.
callum84

I thought sending this way had no seller protection, but buyer usually … I thought sending this way had no seller protection, but buyer usually always has protection no matter the circumstances. I'd say emailing a code is a sure fire way to get scammed by the old non receipt scam.

I could be wrong, but i believe what i said is correct and what you have said is wrong.. I seem to remember a) reading it myself in the paypal protection, and b) having a member on here a few weeks back mentioning about no protection when someone brought £100 odd worth of amazon e-vouchers..

If it was me selling DLC then i would have a read through the protection to try find the non-perishable item bit of the T & Cs

I'll take your word for it. Not saying your wrong was only mentioning what I always thought it to be. I'll definitely be wary about buying vouchers on ebay now.

winifer

I could be wrong, but i believe what i said is correct and what you have … I could be wrong, but i believe what i said is correct and what you have said is wrong.. I seem to remember a) reading it myself in the paypal protection, and b) having a member on here a few weeks back mentioning about no protection when someone brought £100 odd worth of amazon e-vouchers..If it was me selling DLC then i would have a read through the protection to try find the non-perishable item bit of the T & Cs

Original Poster
I must admit, it would seem that if the seller sent through a non-traceable means it should be the seller without protection... Although I'm not too sure on this.
And I have read through as much of the T&C that I could handle lol I couldn't find anything about DLC, the closest I could find was about digital downloads which is not allowed under any means (I think because of seller/buyer protection tbh) but you are allowed to send a piece of paper with a code on it through the post... Which is just no different imo.
Like I said though, I think at the end of the day if a buyer really wants to pull a fast one, then if you email it they will claim not received or code doesn't work, and if you post it they will claim either nothing in the envelope, or code doesn't work...
Most buyers are genuine I know but if someone is really intent on scamming, they will scam either way
Sold a code for 99p (plus 50p postage). Was amazed that the postage option was taken, I decided to digitally deliver in case of "lost in post" etc to cover myself, BUT you can't really cover against a fraudulent buyer, and I would have thought a genuine buyer would want to save 33% (ok only 50p but in %age terms its quite a lot)

If a buyer, with either delivery method, claims "code not working" will paypal / ebay immediately find in their favour? After all, you cannot really prove that noone else has seen the code
Edited by: "Johnboy_1975" 2nd Jul 2011
Original Poster
The whole code not working is my fear too... The only thing I can recommend is to tell the buyer you know the code is legit because you rang up Sony/Microsoft to check and that you will ring them again to see what time the code was redeemed and by what user and what real name...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions