Selling / Giving away a built Conservatory

Found 6th Mar 2015
I'm going to be replacing my conservatory with a brick built extension - the builder has quoted about £1000 to demolish and dispose of the existing conservatory.

Someone suggested eBaying it for 1p and saying buyer to collect, dismantle and take away.
Has anyone done this? Is it realistic that I'll actually find someone who wants it?

Else has anyone ever demolished one and tried to take it to your local tip / recycling site?
Do they take kindly to receiving an entire conservatory?
Community Updates
AskGarden Furniture
16 Comments
How big is the conservatory and what is it constructed of?
Putting on eBay seems like a good idea as people like a bargain. Sort of thing I personally would be interested in if it what right size etc.
was right size etc
I'm sure someone would want it, and would be happy to dismantle and collect it themselves, if it's the usual upvc with the dwarf wall type they easily dismantle, just getting rid of the bricks may be the hardest part
White uPVC (?) conservatory - constructed of single panels sealant-ed together. One double door.
The odd thing about it, is that it's a lean-to which attaches to the wall on the longest length and the garage on one end.
So in effect it's only got two sides, which might limit the 'market' to those in a similar situation.
Corrugated plastic? roof.
About 2.4m x 4.5m
Not dwarf wall, full length uPVC.
Our neighbours actually sold theirs on Gumtree, so we'll worth a try! Good luck
I'd be worried about who would be dismantling it and what damage they could cause to the rest of the house.
mclovin9091

I'd be worried about who would be dismantling it and what damage they … I'd be worried about who would be dismantling it and what damage they could cause to the rest of the house.

Good point.
However it's only a lean-to, so not very attached to the rest of the house (or is it?)
Should be able to get £100 for the glass and doors alone.
You know what They say "one man's rubbish is another man's treasure"
Where in the country are you and have you put it on eBay/Gumtree yet with some pics?
Edited by: "fmillington" 8th Mar 2015
fmillington

Where in the country are you snd have you put it on eBay/Gumtree yet with … Where in the country are you snd have you put it on eBay/Gumtree yet with some pics?

Up in Lancaster, but not going for a month or so. Just making plans.
Sold mine for £450 two weeks ago on gumtree. My builder dismantled it
Edited by: "colinmcdonald" 7th Mar 2015
I sold my fence and block paving on ebay. Buyer removed. Saved me paying to get them removed, I made a few quid too, great idea.
They are easy enough to dismantle, and it is a good plan if you don't mind a little extra hassle to do this. Give it a good wash first and take loads of photos - to maximise puchase cost.

The worst part of the whole job is that, when it is all removed, the foundations/floor will probably still need to be replaced as I doubt they will be up to standard for the extension. So you may well find that the builder still wants to charge a good element of the original demolishing charge. To demolish the concrete floor and foundations. I would check this with them first as they may count that as demolishing or alternatively they may count it as part of the build costs.
free cycle is good
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants