Selling help

Posted 14th Jan
When selling on gumtree what's the best form of payment? Cash? Bank transfer? PayPal?
Community Updates
Misc
20 Comments
Cash
Cash, no alternatives
Cash! Anything else and you’ll (potentially) say goodbye to the item and the payment.
Avoid PayPal
So many jokers on gumtree will offer you full amount through PayPal
They don’t want to haggle on price and on top of that will pay silly money on top for postage
To send to there grandad in the army
Cash, if you can tolerate fake notes.
Bank transfer if you can tolerate unauthorised transfers and subsequent chargebacks.
PayPal if you don't want to see your money and your goods ever again.
So arguably best to opt for cash paid into a quaint physical bank with you standing next to buyer as they hand the notes to the bank teller to be checked & counted.
PayPal friends and family payment is ok too, but ideally cash and don’t be embarrassed to check it
Make sure you meet the person at the bank if its a large amount. I have sold items before and received fake money mixed in with real.

You can usually tell by the texture, but when in these situations you may not always think to properly check each note etc.
Edited by: "flowersofwar" 15th Jan
whatyadoinsucka15/01/2020 06:08

PayPal friends and family payment is ok too, but ideally cash and don’t be …PayPal friends and family payment is ok too, but ideally cash and don’t be embarrassed to check it

PP F&F can and will be reversed by PayPal or funding institution when "buyer" states the payment was unauthorised; far easier to reverse than attempting the usual PP farce of INR / SNAD.
AndyRoyd15/01/2020 06:39

PP F&F can and will be reversed by PayPal or funding institution when …PP F&F can and will be reversed by PayPal or funding institution when "buyer" states the payment was unauthorised; far easier to reverse than attempting the usual PP farce of INR / SNAD.

Ok, I guess payments can be reversed, it’s all about risk management, I’d accept PayPal friends and family on a small amount, but I’d say the easiest way in recent years, sold a few push bikes and taken cash,
A quick picture of the car reg plate is always useful too
Thanks for everyone's replies, I'm selling a laptop for a few hundred £ so i think it's best i meet the buyer at my bank and deposit the money before handing over goods.

reasonable?
Jordan_Taylor15/01/2020 07:25

Thanks for everyone's replies, I'm selling a laptop for a few hundred £ so …Thanks for everyone's replies, I'm selling a laptop for a few hundred £ so i think it's best i meet the buyer at my bank and deposit the money before handing over goods.reasonable?

Good idea

Thanks for everyone's replies, I'm selling a laptop for a few hundred £ so …Thanks for everyone's replies, I'm selling a laptop for a few hundred £ so i think it's best i meet the buyer at my bank and deposit the money before handing over goods.reasonable?

Just tell them to come to your house and collect, I update my laptop every 2 years and just let people come pick it up and pay cash.
Or just drop it off at their house if they're local to you and don't drive.
Toon_army15/01/2020 08:04

Just tell them to come to your house and collect, I update my laptop …Just tell them to come to your house and collect, I update my laptop every 2 years and just let people come pick it up and pay cash.Or just drop it off at their house if they're local to you and don't drive.

Until one day someone comes with a gun and not only takes your laptop but every single electronic device for free. I wouldn’t take that risk
Id sell on shpock , you can also check their feedback so you will know you aren’t selling to a pirate !
Istanbul15/01/2020 11:26

Until one day someone comes with a gun and not only takes your laptop but …Until one day someone comes with a gun and not only takes your laptop but every single electronic device for free. I wouldn’t take that risk

A gun! What planet you on, who's going to come to your house with a gun?
Toon_army15/01/2020 12:03

A gun! What planet you on, who's going to come to your house with a gun?

I guess your not from London? Happens here all the time
Istanbul15/01/2020 12:08

I guess your not from London? Happens here all the time

I've got a Newcastle badge on my profile, that should give it away where I am
Gun crime isn't an issue up and in all my years have never heard anybody selling something to be robbed over selling an item such as a laptop
Toon_army15/01/2020 12:30

I've got a Newcastle badge on my profile, that should give it away where I …I've got a Newcastle badge on my profile, that should give it away where I am Gun crime isn't an issue up and in all my years have never heard anybody selling something to be robbed over selling an item such as a laptop

same in west yorkshire, i've not been mugged or done over with a gun either..
whatyadoinsucka15/01/2020 17:55

same in west yorkshire, i've not been mugged or done over with a gun …same in west yorkshire, i've not been mugged or done over with a gun either..

Think if they've got a gun they've got bigger and better things to do than nick a laptop, probably drug dealers making a couple of grand a day lol

Bank or probably more convenient at a Post Office offering your bank's services as many POs are open longer hours than banks, esp evenings. Buyer hands cash directly to teller; you have no need to ever touch the cash so cannot be accused of tampering with it, and the teller performs the completely independent amount count & counterfeit check.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions