Selling laptop without hard drive

Edited by:"mutley1"Found 30th Jul 2017
Hope someone with PC knowledge can help me out. If I remove the hard drive from my laptop, am I safe to sell the laptop without removing anything else from it?

It has windows operating system and microsoft office installed which I do not propose to remove. As far as I understand as long as the hard drive is taken out, there is no sensitive data that can be retrieved from the laptop.

Is this correct? I am wondering if data may be stored any where else on the laptop?

20 Comments

Unless you have more than one physical drive, if you remove the hard drive, Windows\Office etc. Will no longer work as they are installed onto the physical disk.

You can certainly sell a laptop without a hard drive but you'll get a lot less for it and it will be much harder to sell. You'd be better taking off what you want to keep and then using something like Dban or another program to overwrite the disk
Edited by: "darlodge" 30th Jul 2017

darlodge6 m ago

Unless you have more than one physical drive, if you remove the hard …Unless you have more than one physical drive, if you remove the hard drive, Windows\Office etc. Will no longer work as they are installed onto the physical disk.You can certainly sell a laptop without a hard drive but you'll get a lot less for it and it will be much harder to sell. You'd be better taking off what you want to keep and then using something like Dban or another program to overwrite the disk

This. Plenty of free eraser software available.

Why don't you just factory reset your laptop (youtube factory reset 'your make and model') and sell it on, unless you really need your hard drive. All your personal information is stored on your hard drive.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 30th Jul 2017

Just buy a cheap 2nd hand drive for it

RiverDragon844 m ago

Why don't you just factory reset your laptop (youtube factory reset 'your …Why don't you just factory reset your laptop (youtube factory reset 'your make and model') and sell it on, unless you really need your hard drive. All your personal information is stored on your hard drive.

That doesn't wipe the hard drive.
Edited by: "catbeans" 30th Jul 2017

catbeans

That doesn't whipe the hard drive.

Did I say it does? 'rolls my eyes' If you factory reset the device all personal information stored will be wiped and reset to the day you bought it.

RiverDragon81 m ago

Did I say it does? 'rolls my eyes' If you factory reset the device all …Did I say it does? 'rolls my eyes' If you factory reset the device all personal information stored will be wiped and reset to the day you bought it.

No it won't. 'rolls my eyes'
Edited by: "catbeans" 30th Jul 2017

catbeans

No it won't. 'rolls my eyes'

LOOOOOL do you even know what factory reset means?? OMG the dumb people on this site. If your're going to sell on a laptop you either A) Factory reset and sell it on or B) Fresh install and sell it on. THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE DOES.

Boot and nuke will erase the hdd and write over each bit one by one over a few passes. It'll be okay to send out like that.

RiverDragon88 m ago

LOOOOOL do you even know what factory reset means?? OMG the dumb people on …LOOOOOL do you even know what factory reset means?? OMG the dumb people on this site. If your're going to sell on a laptop you either A) Factory reset and sell it on or B) Fresh install and sell it on.

The people who think they know everything about computers are worse than the dumb people.

howtogeek.com/213…em/

It'll be deleted, but wiped in this context can have a slightly different meaning. Ordinary deletion just deletes the record of a file, hides it essentially, the data itself doesn't get removed until the space is needed for something else. Undelete utilities can recover it.

Getting rid of the data is generally called secure delete or secure erase.

Whether a factory reset will irretrievably destroy your data depends on what's doing the resetting. Windows 8 & 10's built in reset option does provide this ability but manufacturer reset options on older laptops may or may not do this.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 30th Jul 2017

catbeans

This. Plenty of free eraser software available.

Windows 10 already has built in software to factory reset the device (wipe drive and restore like new). pick a video,any video, they're all the same.

RiverDragon. A factory reset returns the laptop to the day it was purchased yes however that doesn't stop someone recovering what you deleted via the factory reset. It's the same as deleting a file from the recycle bin, yes Windows can't see it any longer, but it's still stored in the hard disk table that's hidden and with the right software and knowledge it's recoverable. The only fool proof way is wiping it nervous times (with dban\boot and nuke etc.) and\or physically destroying the disk.

Original Poster

RiverDragon81 h, 24 m ago

Why don't you just factory reset your laptop (youtube factory reset 'your …Why don't you just factory reset your laptop (youtube factory reset 'your make and model') and sell it on, unless you really need your hard drive. All your personal information is stored on your hard drive.

I need the hard drive so I can't sell it. I am selling the laptop cheap as I was just going to chuck it in the bin as I don't want it any more except the hard drive.

Original Poster

darlodge1 h, 51 m ago

Unless you have more than one physical drive, if you remove the hard …Unless you have more than one physical drive, if you remove the hard drive, Windows\Office etc. Will no longer work as they are installed onto the physical disk.You can certainly sell a laptop without a hard drive but you'll get a lot less for it and it will be much harder to sell. You'd be better taking off what you want to keep and then using something like Dban or another program to overwrite the disk

Thanks I didn't know this. But if I had thought about it, I would have realised where else is the operating system and microsoft office going to be installed on the laptop! I can be so dumb. Lol.

mutley1

Thanks I didn't know this. But if I had thought about it, I would have … Thanks I didn't know this. But if I had thought about it, I would have realised where else is the operating system and microsoft office going to be installed on the laptop! I can be so dumb. Lol.

What laptop is it? You can strip it and sell it in parts i.e bezel, HDD caddy, screen (if no dead pixels or bright spots) etc etc.

Original Poster

RiverDragon84 m ago

What laptop is it? You can strip it and sell it in parts i.e bezel, HDD …What laptop is it? You can strip it and sell it in parts i.e bezel, HDD caddy, screen (if no dead pixels or bright spots) etc etc.

You may berate me for this, but I am pretty lazy and can not be bothered to do anything more than hand over the laptop as it is without compromising security of my sensitive data. I am just after an easy life and selling something for its best price is never my motive. I know this may sound silly but I am very odd, but hey that's just me.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

mutley1

You may berate me for this, but I am pretty lazy and can not be bothered … You may berate me for this, but I am pretty lazy and can not be bothered to do anything more than hand over the laptop as it is without compromising security of my sensitive data. I am just after an easy life and selling something for its best price is never my motive. I know this may sound silly but I am very odd, but hey that's just me.Thanks for the advice anyway.

Up to you for example if you've got 2x2GB DDR2 RAM that's worth £15 or 1x4GB DDR3 thats worth £12+. Your screen if unblemished £20+ but like you said if your're lazy person then don't bother.

darlodge

RiverDragon. A factory reset returns the laptop to the day it was … RiverDragon. A factory reset returns the laptop to the day it was purchased yes however that doesn't stop someone recovering what you deleted via the factory reset. It's the same as deleting a file from the recycle bin, yes Windows can't see it any longer, but it's still stored in the hard disk table that's hidden and with the right software and knowledge it's recoverable. The only fool proof way is wiping it nervous times (with dban\boot and nuke etc.) and\or physically destroying the disk.

As RiverDragon8 has stated Windows has an option to securely erase the drive when performing a factory reset. I've done it once and it took absolutely ages on a Surface Pro. Had to leave it overnight.
Saying that I can't comment on how well it works but I imagine it's secure enough.

I'd be interested to know if including simply overwriting the drive with misc data can protect you from data recovery.
A topic to look into tomorrow I guess
Edited by: "FireOnAWire" 31st Jul 2017

anonimousse

The OP is filling their usual quota of 'Ask a question a day' to get … The OP is filling their usual quota of 'Ask a question a day' to get paid. The genuine comments below by a reputable member can be re-appropriated as responses.Looks cool. :-)Hehehehehehe. :-DTrue true, fair enough ... thanx. :-)Hehehe, yep!, same here too, looool. :-)I'm sure McDonald's must luvvvvvvv you?, lool.Yeh, sure, at:zippydidoodazippydidooda.comWe need it for this same cheaper price again soon me thinks?. :-)It's what we cloakially refer to as "Thankful for small mercies", huh?, hehehe. :-)Hahahahahaha, I see what you did there ..Ahhhhhhh well ...You guys are KILLING me with this ..... lol.Oh well, lol.Ooooooooooooooo, BETTER!. :-)Gooood to know!. :-)OUCH!.Loooooooool. ;-)Hahahahahaha, that's funny, on many different levels, lool.Care to elaborate on that for me?, thanx. :-)I'm in London, lol, but fair play, thanx. :-)OOOOOOOOO!!, would love to know the answer to that question too please?. :-)Lol, that's the way the cookie sometimes crumbles I guess?.Yep!, I too have a few rounds of unecessary impulse buys under my belt (on account of here too), hehehehe.And let's just say, some of those impulse buys were more useful than that of some others too ...And still all the while, NADDA!.So why embellish for?. :-(I don't get it ...Valid points ...Then bam!.That's what I meant ...

when theres a job opening give us a shout how much ££ a question ?X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions