Selling mobo CPU and ram

Posted 8th May
what does everyone do before selling their old computer bits? remove the CMO battery?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
I would personally update it to the latest bios and correctly configure it but nothing apart from that.

Why would you remove the CMOS battery?
Gormond08/05/2020 14:53

I would personally update it to the latest bios and correctly configure it …I would personally update it to the latest bios and correctly configure it but nothing apart from that.Why would you remove the CMOS battery?

Just to reset the board? Not sure I'm been totally out of the loop havent built a PC in years.
toge08/05/2020 15:00

Just to reset the board? Not sure I'm been totally out of the loop havent …Just to reset the board? Not sure I'm been totally out of the loop havent built a PC in years.

You could just use the little jumper or pop the battery out and put it back in.

Although why would you want to erase it? it's not as if it contains any personal information.
Gormond08/05/2020 15:59

You could just use the little jumper or pop the battery out and put it …You could just use the little jumper or pop the battery out and put it back in.Although why would you want to erase it? it's not as if it contains any personal information.

*shrug* thank you.

any tips overclocking the ryzen 5 3600? or just point me towards a guide

thanks
toge08/05/2020 16:04

*shrug* thank you.any tips overclocking the ryzen 5 3600? or just point me …*shrug* thank you.any tips overclocking the ryzen 5 3600? or just point me towards a guidethanks

TBH there isn't really any point, Zen 2 chips will OC themselves as much as thermals allow. The best you will get is about 100 MHz.
Gormond08/05/2020 16:55

TBH there isn't really any point, Zen 2 chips will OC themselves as much …TBH there isn't really any point, Zen 2 chips will OC themselves as much as thermals allow. The best you will get is about 100 MHz.

Depends on your luck. My 3600 would not boost over 4200mhz but overclock stable at all core 4300mhz 1.312v. Can push it to 4375 but with higher V and I dont want to push it that far for my use.

(And I cool it with Corsair H115i Platinum, so it was not thermal issue that it did not boost over 4200)
Edited by: "Aici" 8th May
Aici08/05/2020 17:17

Depends on your luck. My 3600 would not boost over 4200mhz but overclock …Depends on your luck. My 3600 would not boost over 4200mhz but overclock stable at all core 4300mhz 1.312v. Can push it to 4375 but with higher V and I dont want to push it that far for my use.(And I cool it with Corsair H115i Platinum, so it was not thermal issue that it did not boost over 4200)

is there a guide i can follow?
There are several. Look some guides on youtube.
Easy way is to use amd software. Overclocking is done in windows and it is relatively easy process.
Once you find your stable overclock and you are happy to use it I would suggest to apply it in the bios and uninstall the amd software.
You should be able to get 4200mhz all core at 1.35V no problem (unless you are extremely unlucky) and than you can try up the mhz in steps of 25 until it is not stable. Than give it higher Voltage and try again. I would no go above 1.40V even with good cooler, to be on safe side.
One advice I would give is go for fast RAM. 3600mhz ram with cl16 timings with stock 3600 cpu will give you better results than overclock 3600cpu and 3200mhz memory with cl16 timings.
Edited by: "Aici" 8th May
Aici08/05/2020 17:17

Depends on your luck. My 3600 would not boost over 4200mhz but overclock …Depends on your luck. My 3600 would not boost over 4200mhz but overclock stable at all core 4300mhz 1.312v. Can push it to 4375 but with higher V and I dont want to push it that far for my use.(And I cool it with Corsair H115i Platinum, so it was not thermal issue that it did not boost over 4200)

Yeah I tried to overclock a friends PC to 4300 MHz and even at 1.4v it wasn't stable. If I recall correctly it was eventually stable at about 1.45v but he didn't want to run it at that for just a 100 MHz gain - It was almost unnoticeable in benchmarks.
Edited by: "Gormond" 8th May
Gormond08/05/2020 17:45

Yeah I tried to overclock a friends PC to 4300 MHz and even at 1.4v it …Yeah I tried to overclock a friends PC to 4300 MHz and even at 1.4v it wasn't stable. If I recall correctly it was eventually stable at about 1.45v but he didn't want to run it at that for just a 100 MHz gain - It was almost unnoticeable in benchmarks.

Sadly it depends on the luck. As well as mobo and cooler. But 4200 all clock is still better than leaving it at stock as it will not usually boost to it anyway.
I was lucky. I went higher while lowering the voltage- less heat.
I was gonna run stock cooler for a bit until down the line im looking at getting a snowman 4
Edited by: "toge" 8th May
You can try and see. Not sure how much you can push it with stock cooler. I guess it also depends how good airflow is in your case.
Definitely look out for high temperature and thermal throttling.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions