Selling my old phone, what website would you recommend to sell it on? MusicMagpie reliable?

Found 15th Jun 2016
I checked on a comparison site, and Music Magpie was quoted with giving the best price. But checking the reviews for them, they didn't seem to reliable.

Do any of you have recommendations for a good site to sell on? I used Mazuma Mobile before, but the phone I'm selling they're offering the lowest amount on the comparison site. (HTC One M8)

17 Comments

Check cex, got 91quid for my m8 couple of days ago.
I don't sell it on eBay since its a lot of hassle, can have dodgy buyers and profit often is lower than cex itself

Just be careful of some recyclers such as Music Magpie, mazuma and the rest as they will sometimes find any reason to devalue your device. Brick and mortar stores or face to face selling is better.

Music Magpie will tell you they will give the best price, you send it and suddenly it has a broken screen and it's valued at £0. They did this with my 5S and I was worried it had been broken in transit. They sent it back and it was as perfect as when I sent it. I eventually traded traded it in with Apple.

I second above comment - sold in 3 phones. an i6 which failed because of marks on the phone. When I say marks, there was one faint mark where the case had marked it. No scratch, no dent.
An S4 that had a 3rd party lcd but yet that passed fine.
and an S6 that failed due to screenburn - no screenburn detected by Samsung repair

Avoid MM

I got a good deal from Game........That or CEX

not music magpie.

Why not try selling it on here in the For Sale section

Ebay every time. Always got more than any website would offer (even with selling costs). Never had anyone give me hassle or problems (but that could be because im honest and carefull in descriptions).

Gumtree, Facebook selling pages or on here.

Cash on collection much better than being faced with eBay/PayPal fees and postage

you will also have to wait six months for payment from music magpie

Original Poster

mattsokolinski

Check cex, got 91quid for my m8 couple of days ago. I don't sell it on … Check cex, got 91quid for my m8 couple of days ago. I don't sell it on eBay since its a lot of hassle, can have dodgy buyers and profit often is lower than cex itself

I'll take a look, what condition was it in when you got £91? Did you need all the accessories it came with? Cause mine has a few scratches around the edge of the phone and I'm missing the original headphones.

Look at comparison sites, price ranges vary by many pounds. Also the post office sometimes offer good money for your old phones.

Original Poster

cornishscouse

Look at comparison sites, price ranges vary by many pounds. Also the post … Look at comparison sites, price ranges vary by many pounds. Also the post office sometimes offer good money for your old phones.

I checked on some and the highest price was Music Magpie, but according to commenters here they aren't very good. The other sites it offered had low reliability as well.

byazura

I'll take a look, what condition was it in when you got £91? Did you need … I'll take a look, what condition was it in when you got £91? Did you need all the accessories it came with? Cause mine has a few scratches around the edge of the phone and I'm missing the original headphones.

I usually look after my devices. Had glass screen protector on it and as soon as the girl seen it she said its likely A grade. to be perfectly honest it did not have any scratches dents etc (it was in immaculate condition) but thats just me looking after the phone. However, the "special" camera at the back had dust behind the lens (no idea how it got there) and for some reason she did not noticed it.
I was expecting to have it graded as B which would give me around 80quid. I had the box for it but forgot to include a charger with cabe (left it at home) and did not include headphones for hygienic reasons so basically phone an the box.

To be honest even at 80quid its more what you can get on ebay. they usually go for around 80-90quid with whole shebang included but if you take away fees, time it takes to post it and hassle in case buyer says its faulty, id rather have it sold at cex.

Even at 80 it more than the lousy 40 at music magpie and other recycling greedy shops....

Edited by: "mattsk" 17th Jun 2016

I reckon stick it on gumtree cash in hand collected from ur home

aj84

I second above comment - sold in 3 phones. an i6 which failed because of … I second above comment - sold in 3 phones. an i6 which failed because of marks on the phone. When I say marks, there was one faint mark where the case had marked it. No scratch, no dent.An S4 that had a 3rd party lcd but yet that passed fine.and an S6 that failed due to screenburn - no screenburn detected by Samsung repair Avoid MM

Yea music magpie quoted me 170 for a note 4 then devalued the offer to 16 quid due to screenburn. I thought that was an insult as you can barely see any screenburn.

Ive heard these type of websites quote you, When you send the item in they find a fault and low ball you. Then takes ages to return it if you don't take the quote. Be careful
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions