Found 6th Feb 2009
After having a desktop for 3 years, I've decided to get a 'desktop replacement laptop' and want to sell as much as my desktop to offset the price...

Want to know whether it's better to sell parts individually or all as one lot.
Also, is it safe to sell your HDD once its been formatted? They always say that even if you delete things, they can be retrieved.

Any help would be appreciated guys!

1. Misc
  2. Laptop
  3. PC
12 Comments

once your hdd is formatted its fine, you could go to the extreme and get a programme that reverts the hdd back to 0001111

Its always best to 'wipe' the drive and write 0's and 1's over the whole disk using a suitable utility. There are many free ones by just Googleing. I only say this as the same Google will also bring up many utilities which will happily recover even formatted drive areas.

For anyone who is worried about their data on an old Hard drive, I have used this program in the past to securely wipe the contents of a hard drive. It is no longer supported but is free and does an excellent job.

Autoclave
hard drive sterilization on a bootable floppy

It can perform simple zeroing. It can also overwrite the hard drive with specific patterns which exercise all the bits on the drive, making it extremely difficult to recover anything at all. Could the NSA recover anything from a drive which has been erased using this disk? I don't know. I personally doubt it. But if that's who you're worried about reading your data, it's probably best if you pound the drive into dust using a sledge hammer, and then fuse the pieces together with a blowtorch.

staff.washington.edu/jdl…tml

just of interest what do you have to hide, lol

wickedteen;4300605

once your hdd is formatted its fine

This is not true, files can still be retrieved from a formatted hard drive.

I know you might say who would bother, but in this day of identity theft people do buy old computers and old hard drives just to try and get personal information and bank details off a hard drive.

This program, called DBAN, is one of the best programs for overwriting a hard disk.

dban.org/

Original Poster

cheers guys... might just hang onto the HDD then... It's not such a good one anyway...

Would it be better to sell the PC locally all in one bundle or parts separately?

Also, are there any stores that buy parts from you? besides cex?

I'm not gonna need this desktop anymore...

Any details of puter & pics please ?

Original Poster

Off the top of my head its a Fujitsu Siemens, Windows XP Media Centre, 1GB RAM, 3.2Ghz intel processor, 512mb graphics card...

I'll likely be making a sale thread in the next few days - it's in Leeds and likely be collection only...
I'll find out proper specs if you're interested at all?

wickedteen;4300605

once your hdd is formatted its fine, you could go to the extreme and get … once your hdd is formatted its fine, you could go to the extreme and get a programme that reverts the hdd back to 0001111

Heh, not quite. Formatting doesn't do anything to the data, as my extra-special collection of photographs from a laptop bought recently demonstrates nicely.

to normal people formatting it will be fine, however if you sell it to someone that knows a thing or two then they can get data back....

Blancco is pretty good, basically there are 5 levels of deleting and it does up to level 3, which is easily enough (the MoD etc use a level 3 delete program that I just can't recall the name of.

Banned

dxx;4305596

Heh, not quite. Formatting doesn't do anything to the data, as my … Heh, not quite. Formatting doesn't do anything to the data, as my extra-special collection of photographs from a laptop bought recently demonstrates nicely.

I got this as well, apparently she works for the associated press as the Bureau Chief and I quote "Emily Rotberg couldn’t have chosen a better time for an internship" and has attended the World Economic Forum for world Trade :lol: do you think the sun would be interested? I've got to buy more hard drives.

btw a hotel in Guantanamo costs $36 :thumbsup:

Banned

Andypes3;4666633

to normal people formatting it will be fine, however if you sell it to … to normal people formatting it will be fine, however if you sell it to someone that knows a thing or two then they can get data back....Blancco is pretty good, basically there are 5 levels of deleting and it does up to level 3, which is easily enough (the MoD etc use a level 3 delete program that I just can't recall the name of.

the MoD aren't allowed to delete top secret files, only personal messages can be deleted anything to do with work has to be kept and archived :roll:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. landlord trying to get tenant to purchase a new bed when the old one was al…1118
    2. Foo fighters presale code.3437
    3. THOMSON TUI 2 CRUISE PROBLEM - ANY HELP APPRECIATED22
    4. School shoes - with lights33

See more discussions