Selling on EBay

Found 15th Mar
Afternoon, I 've been buying and selling on EBay for years but lately noticed more scams. Want to sell an Xbox one. How can I protect myself from losing out, e.g., buyer saying it's faulty, not received, and other scams? Thanks.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments
Limit your buyer audience only to high rated customers. Video yourself with the xbox working in every aspect - powered on, disk tray, etc. The video yourself boxing it up and bringing it to the post office (the camera being on the boxed item at all times). I know its a faff but often times if theres any issues with my sales I show them the video - they see it is working, I have proof of postage and me actually sending the correct item.
Is there any serial numbers?
take photos of this too, prevents them being swapped for faulty.

Might be better FB selling page, cash on collection. Save the fees
Don't use ebay, too many dodgy characters.

Or a more helpful answer -

Photograph the serial number and use a tamper proof warranty sticker somewhere they can't remove it to swap out internals. Add the pics of the serial and warranty sticker to the listing and state that you have used them in the description, this will stop "swapper Bob".

Only deliver to the address on the PayPal receipt. Obviously use a tracked and fully insured service.

And pray to several Gods.
If it were me I wouldn't risk anything of any value these days on eBay; we have been scammed several times and just won't take the risk anymore. Anything of value we now sell locally, through shop window postcard ad's, word of mouth etc.
bobac
1 h, 30 m ago

Limit your buyer audience only to high rated customers. Video yourself with the xbox working in every aspect - powered on, disk tray, etc. The video yourself boxing it up and bringing it to the post office (the camera being on the boxed item at all times). I know its a faff but often times if theres any issues with my sales I show them the video - they see it is working, I have proof of postage and me actually sending the correct item

you realise ebay and paypal will not care about your video its a great idea that a lot of people post but has no legal standing at all
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 15th Mar
Richard_Richard1 h, 29 m ago

Don't use ebay, too many dodgy characters.Or a more helpful answer …Don't use ebay, too many dodgy characters.Or a more helpful answer -Photograph the serial number and use a tamper proof warranty sticker somewhere they can't remove it to swap out internals. Add the pics of the serial and warranty sticker to the listing and state that you have used them in the description, this will stop "swapper Bob". Only deliver to the address on the PayPal receipt. Obviously use a tracked and fully insured service. And pray to several Gods.

33446622-pvPPF.jpg have a user name like pablo
There's always a risk of getting a buyer claiming the item isn't as described.
Post plenty of pics, clearly state any faults and if you aren't sure something is working fine say it might have unlisted faults etc.
Package the item well.

As for the item not received scenario, send strictly via tracked delivery and only accept cash if buyer collects
Taking numerous photos and videos of the item to be sold and of you packaging it etc etc are a waste of your time, they hold no relevance to eBay/paypal whatsover should the buyer make a non-receipt or not as described claim.

Anything likely to sell for £50-75+ I always offer to friends through Facebook then advertise on Gumtree and Facebook selling pages.

eBay and PayPal fees, recorded delivery and packing costs make it harder to make anything decent for the item your selling.

Then factor in the scams which are getting more frequent and more elaborate then its easy top avoid eBay as a seller.

A very quick eBay search I can find an xbox one 500gb with 30 day returns offered for buy now £99, IF yours fetched £100, fees and p&p would see you make £80??

if you advertised it cash on collection for £80, it'd be snapped up quickly i'd imagine....
andynicol15 m ago

Taking numerous photos and videos of the item to be sold and of you …Taking numerous photos and videos of the item to be sold and of you packaging it etc etc are a waste of your time, they hold no relevance to eBay/paypal whatsover should the buyer make a non-receipt or not as described claim.Anything likely to sell for £50-75+ I always offer to friends through Facebook then advertise on Gumtree and Facebook selling pages.eBay and PayPal fees, recorded delivery and packing costs make it harder to make anything decent for the item your selling.Then factor in the scams which are getting more frequent and more elaborate then its easy top avoid eBay as a seller.A very quick eBay search I can find an xbox one 500gb with 30 day returns offered for buy now £99, IF yours fetched £100, fees and p&p would see you make £80??if you advertised it cash on collection for £80, it'd be snapped up quickly i'd imagine....

They should sell when they have a promotion on fees only and make sure the description is super complete.

They need to state any cosmetic imperfections (no matter how minimal as you never know what the buyer is like), faults, accessories included or not and take pictures of everything.

If I'm selling a phone or laptop I include in the listing a pic with the serial number to prevent scams where they send you back a different item.

A buyer can then still claim item not as described, though. You'll never be fully covered against that. They can drop it and break it and claim it arrived damaged and then you're out of luck.

I sold a MacBook Pro worth almost 1K and thankfully my buyer was a good one but I was a bit worried selling that particular expensive item on eBay but no luck selling it privately for the price I wanted for it so had to stick with eBay.
Original Poster
Appreciate the advice, EBay has definitely changed over the years I've been on.
bobac4 h, 21 m ago

Limit your buyer audience only to high rated customers. Video yourself …Limit your buyer audience only to high rated customers. Video yourself with the xbox working in every aspect - powered on, disk tray, etc. The video yourself boxing it up and bringing it to the post office (the camera being on the boxed item at all times). I know its a faff but often times if theres any issues with my sales I show them the video - they see it is working, I have proof of postage and me actually sending the correct item.

Additionally record any unique serial numbers, that way if they return another broken one you’ll know. Use insurance on the postage.
Although videos hold no weight with EBay / PayPal, they are often enough to make a scammer back off.

But Gumtree / Facebook it. You'll get £30 less, but once it's gone, you've got the cash.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants