selling on ebay - all new to me!

Posted 11th Oct
I have never sold on ebay before but am thinking about it as I've recently noticed offers of £1 final value fees or the one that I've been invited to is sell for absolutely nothing for 10 listings.

So with the sell for nothing offer, there's no final value fee or insertion fees? But there'll be paypal fees which - if I'm correct - is 2.9% plus fixed fee of 30p?

If I sold an item for £40, it'll only cost me £1.46 in paypal fees? And if I chose to list it as Buy It Now, it's ana additonal cost of 35p?

Just trying to understand.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Is this an eBay advertisement?
You’ve got to really read what they’re actually offering you.
I got this offer this week (might be the same as you received)
10379731711570821823.jpgOnly the listing amount is free of charge, you would still have to pay final values fees and PayPal fees. The basic listing fee is free anyway to private sellers, (or 35p over a certain amount of listings) so this promotion is pretty much pointless. You need a £1 final value fees promotion to make any worthwhile saving, and PayPal fees will be be payable on top as they’re not included and a separate entity.
if you sold an item for £40, eBay will take 10% of the final transaction value including postage and PayPal would be £1.46 on top.
If you’re unsure try Ebay’s Calculator tool
Put this on Ebay community boards and you will get your answer there. From previous selling on Ebay and those so called Ebay offers along with Paypal you lose around 20-30% of the sale price as they also take fees on your post as well. Stopped using it as got so expensive.
Maybe try something like Shpock. Maybe easier and no fees! Unless you sell through PayPal
Don't sell anything of large value on there... You'll just get ripped off and if you do weigh things before you send them and send it tracked and signed for! And keep all the receipts
Toptrumpet11/10/2019 20:37

You’ve got to really read what they’re actually offering you.I got this off …You’ve got to really read what they’re actually offering you.I got this offer this week (might be the same as you received)[Image] Only the listing amount is free of charge, you would still have to pay final values fees and PayPal fees. The basic listing fee is free anyway to private sellers, (or 35p over a certain amount of listings) so this promotion is pretty much pointless. You need a £1 final value fees promotion to make any worthwhile saving, and PayPal fees will be be payable on top as they’re not included and a separate entity.if you sold an item for £40, eBay will take 10% of the final transaction value including postage and PayPal would be £1.46 on top.If you’re unsure try Ebay’s Calculator tool

that is wrong offer.
10 free items is send to unused accounts and looks different
Thanks for your feedback evryone.

High fees is what has put me off and the hassle of posting items.

I've to to a point where I'm considering offloading some stuff.

The offer I got looks very account-specific titled The Best Things in Life Are Free - sell up to 10 items and pay absolutely nothing. States 'pay no final value fees per listing if they sell' and 'you won't pay an insertion fee for each of the 10 listsings'.

Does insertion mean listing?

Are there any catches, other than Paypal fees?
FL8811/10/2019 22:36

Thanks for your feedback evryone.High fees is what has put me off and the …Thanks for your feedback evryone.High fees is what has put me off and the hassle of posting items.I've to to a point where I'm considering offloading some stuff.The offer I got looks very account-specific titled The Best Things in Life Are Free - sell up to 10 items and pay absolutely nothing. States 'pay no final value fees per listing if they sell' and 'you won't pay an insertion fee for each of the 10 listsings'.Does insertion mean listing?Are there any catches, other than Paypal fees?

Items that haven't sold when the listing period ends get automatically relisted with final value fee applicable if they subsequently sell, but you can end the relisted item without fees being due, providing it hasn't sold before you end it.
Yes it sounds like you have it correct OP. But not the extra 35p for Buy It Now, I don't think that would apply to you. I recently started selling a few things on eBay, all went fine for me. Go forth and prosper
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants