Selling on Ebay as a business ?

Does anyone know what you have to do to sell on Ebay as a business seller ?

Ebay are asking everyone to declare if they are a private or a business seller.

VAT etc ?

7 Comments

Don't think u have to do much apart from declare it to them and for vat u dont have to register until your turnover exceeds bout £50,000 oh and get some stock

I suppose you have to declare everything if it is run as a business , if not [your main form of income [ treat it as personall. Like any other business ,you would have to keep books , acccounts ,pay tax , employ an acccountant and all that clart .
Not worth it if you only sell a couple of pairs of old shoes once a year !

If you are selling personal belongings, then you are a private seller. If you sell anything that you have bought or made for the purposes of selling on (whether you make a profit or not) then you are 'trading' and therefore counted as a business seller. If you are a business seller, then you should register with HMRC as Self Employed and submit tax returns.

Things to remember:

- There is no minimum threshold below which you are allowed to 'trade' without declaring it.

- You are only taxed on the profits you make.

- Many things can be counted as business overheads, so if you are careful, you can find legitimate ways of reducing your profits.

- If you go above certain levels you will also have to pay NI and register for VAT.

This is quite a complex subject though, and I am in no way an expert, or even that knowledgeable in the area (all this is from what I have picked up on eBay forums), so it goes without saying that you should get professional advice. From what I understand though, it is not as painful a process as it may seem.

(As an aside, personally I have always found the MSE eBay forum very informative/helpful and there's lots of info on there if you search for it. ]This page has some useful advice, as does ]this page.)

Most people would come as a private seller.
You should only really register if you are selling lots of items as a trade ie you buy goods and sell them on for a profit.
If you are just selling stuff out of your home or trade in things like collectables, you are a private seller.

Original Poster

nightswimmer;1723219

If you are selling personal belongings, then you are a private seller. If … If you are selling personal belongings, then you are a private seller. If you sell anything that you have bought or made for the purposes of selling on (whether you make a profit or not) then you are 'trading' and therefore counted as a business seller. If you are a business seller, then you should register with HMRC as Self Employed and submit tax returns.Things to remember: - There is no minimum threshold below which you are allowed to 'trade' without declaring it.- You are only taxed on the profits you make.- Many things can be counted as business overheads, so if you are careful, you can find legitimate ways of reducing your profits.- If you go above certain levels you will also have to pay NI and register for VAT.This is quite a complex subject though, and I am in no way an expert, or even that knowledgeable in the area (all this is from what I have picked up on eBay forums), so it goes without saying that you should get professional advice. From what I understand though, it is not as painful a process as it may seem.(As an aside, personally I have always found the MSE eBay forum very informative/helpful and there's lots of info on there if you search for it. ]This page has some useful advice, as does ]this page.)

Thanks V Much .... very helpful x

you can ask me on tax and ni, vat implications if you have questions

Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your help:)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
    2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211
    3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2235
    4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917265

See more discussions