Selling on EBAY for somebody else..

Found 20th Mar
Hi all, I've been asked by somebody to sell some expensive farming machinery on EBAY on their behalf.

They have claimed that they cannot do this using their own account as they have a limit due to being a new seller.

They have promised me a cut of the money if i do this for them but i'm concerned i might be getting scammed.

Basically, they want me to list the equipment at around £4000 as buy-it-now, and then send them 95% after fees and keep 5% for my troubles.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments
deleted800342
I wouldn't risk it as if there are any problems with the item or sale you're responsible for it on your account.
don't do it as it's really not worth the hassle if something goes wrong. suggest he looks at alternative places to sell items. Ebay is really only for buyers these days..Sellers seem to get ripped off to easily.
How well do you know the person probably answers your question.

I've listed some double glazing for my brother in law as he isn't tech savvy, I know he won't rip someone off leaving me looking like a thief.

As a rule no but if it's family or close friend I would, I'm guessing it'll be picked up with cash by the buyer anyway, can't imagine you can post whatever it is if it's for farming.
Cash on collection only
PayPal are useless
Leaving you open to being collected then dispute opened and buyer refunded
Is it definitely his machinery
Original Poster
Thanks guys, you've confirmed my suspicions that this guy is chancer haha.
I don't really know him to be honest and i'd be setting myself up for a fall by the sounds of it.

Appreciate the advice @deleted800342 @vcd1man@Richard_Richard@Bradleigh
I wouldn't mate, what he could do is let you list it, buy it himself, wait for you to send the money and the claim the money back via PayPal and you be £4000 out of pocket. Stay well clear
If you don't even know him and he is willing to risk you having his money from the sale in your account and potentially losing it if you were a dishonest person (he can't know you're not), then it must be a scammer...
Don't touch with a 10 mile pole. As has been said, if it was family or a very close friend, fine. A stranger, never. My rule of thumb is if it seems to good to be true, it probably isn't.
OP, are you 100% sure you're not fencing stolen goods ?
I will swap you these Magic beans for your Cow
Why hasn’t he asked his family or friends? There’s no doubt a reason for that.
RadiantDuck24 m ago

Don't touch with a 10 mile pole. As has been said, if it was family or a …Don't touch with a 10 mile pole. As has been said, if it was family or a very close friend, fine. A stranger, never. My rule of thumb is if it seems to good to be true, it probably isn't.

hmmm what a way to live!
Edited by: "brilly" 20th Mar
Original Poster
cheekyboy449 m ago

I will swap you these Magic beans for your Cow

We all know that Magic Beans end up with a chicken that can lay Golden Eggs!
Count me in! Hahaha

My suspicion is that he will purchase the equipment using a different account and then contact Ebay for a refund after i send him the money, leaving me £4k out of pocket...

I was already convinced that this was a scam, i just wasn't sure on his angle or how exactly i was going to be financially disadvantaged!
Not a chance! (unless you know them a long time and trust them). I'd guess it would leave you with all the risk.
Just tell him your account has been suspended for a month as eBay suspect you have been selling outside their terms etc etc.....
god damn how naive are people
That’s one of the oldest scams in the book!!!! I suspect the farm equipment is stolen and maybe worth reporting it to the police anonymously!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants