Expired

Selling on Gumtree a high value item, recieving money via Bank Transfer and then the buyer collecting

Found 26th Aug 2011
My dad is selling a laptop on gumtree and someone phoned him tonight and offered him the asking price.

They said they planned to pay by bank transfer into his account (took his sortcode and account number) and then stated that after payment had been made they would call him and get a "friend" to collect from our local train station.

He phoned me after the conversation, obviously alarm bells ringing.

1. giving his bank details out
2. guy paying before collection (bit odd as my dad could be a scammer)
3. collection from train station.

Personally, having sold and bought hundreds of stuff online, when it comes to Gumtree, i see it purely as a cash on collection kind of bag.

I've suggested that as his account is one he was going to close down eventually anyway (basic account he never uses) that he closes it down tonight. That way, if the guy pays it will just be reversed and he can't set up any standing orders/direct debits with my dads account.

What possible scam could this guy be trying to pull if any? Obviously my dad would have checked the funds were ACTUALLY in his account before hand so fake emails or taking the dudes word for it would not have been an option.
Community Updates
49 Comments
obviously a scam, dont do it.
With bank transfer, the other person cant do anything with your details, its the same details that are on cheques and statments, so i think your overreacting a bit, they cant do nowt with the details.

Secondly if they guy can pay by bank transfer, he needs to go into the bank, just tell him cash on collection only. Sounds dodgy they would pay before getting the goods and getting a friend to pick it up. The issue is they can do a bank reversal meaning you lose money and goods.
Edited by: "littlepinkstarz" 26th Aug 2011
Bank Transfers can be reversed if proved fraudulent.

If he is genuine ask that he simply withdraw the cash and give cash on collection.

Or alternatively, ask the guy to do a bank deposit by cash, also 100% failsafe.

If you wanted to do it... you could still be scammed... but I would suggest you go to your local bank with this person and get them to do a transfer over the counter to your account.

This way that person will have to have the card (unless they can provide ID ) and no scammer will wak into a branch full of CCTV and do that.

Rick
Original Poster
yeah agree with all comments particulary why would a guy pay by bank transfer if the same day he can pay by cash? doesn't make sense.

I read on another forum that a similar situation happened to someone else. turned out the money was from someone who had paid money into the scammers account thinking they were buying game cube games, and then he transfered there money into the 3rd parties accounts. The scammer collected, the game cube dude managed to get his money back from a fraud team and the seller got stuck with no goods and was £200 down.
The thing most people dont understand is with bank transfers it can be reversed - particularly within 48 hours of being transferred. With face to face deals you need to do cash, and have the person who is wanting to buy it, have them collect it and not a friend.

It seems like you have had a lucky escape.
RickT

If you wanted to do it... you could still be scammed... but I would … If you wanted to do it... you could still be scammed... but I would suggest you go to your local bank with this person and get them to do a transfer over the counter to your account.This way that person will have to have the card (unless they can provide ID ) and no scammer will wak into a branch full of CCTV and do that.Rick

ts pretty easy to get a friend to go instead and do the transfer, that method doesn't make you any more protected - the only thing that would is if they got the cash out right in front of you.
Edited by: "littlepinkstarz" 26th Aug 2011
Little late now I know, but why the heck would you dad give his bank details to a complete stranger? This absolutely screams scam, really feel for your dad because I bet he feels terrible now.

I would not even sell to this person now and just wait until someone else wants to buy.
Good advice to get this account closed down immediately.
Edited by: "maccy1" 26th Aug 2011
Original Poster
i said to him even if the guy calls back and agrees cash not to do it. he feels like a proper dunce. He's a fantastic business man but when it comes to the internet he really doesnt have a clue.
I wouldn't be concerned with giving the bank details. Those saying to close the account are as clueless as your dad.

There is no good reason that I can think of why he would be paying into the bank, and then collecting.
My guess is that he will deposit a cheque that will bounce.

Edited by: "thesaint" 26th Aug 2011
Banned
COD on gumtree. Nothing else.
thesaint

I wouldn't be concerned with giving the bank details. Those saying to … I wouldn't be concerned with giving the bank details. Those saying to close the account are as clueless as your dad.There is no good reason that I can think of why he would be paying into the bank, and then collecting.My guess is that he will deposit a cheque that will bounce.

Not saying it's not a scam but maybe the buyer feels safer pre paying for it, what's to say the seller wouldn't steal the money and do a runner with the laptop, plus if he has pre paid his 'friend' won't be in any danger.
Well if you where buying something you where picking up, i dont think anyone would feel safer paying in advance, more the opposite in fact.
Banned
thesaint

I wouldn't be concerned with giving the bank details. Those saying to … I wouldn't be concerned with giving the bank details. Those saying to close the account are as clueless as your dad.There is no good reason that I can think of why he would be paying into the bank, and then collecting.My guess is that he will deposit a cheque that will bounce.

or it could be a hacked account that will get reversed?
OP the guy is 100% a scammer.He will pay with a dodgy account & then after it gets recalled from other bank due to a customer complaint,your dad will have to refund the persons account that was hacked.
Use your Loaf & ask why is this guy not just handing over the money & why is he not coming to your house.
Stay clear of him & only accept cash on collection.That includes ebay when someone pays by paypal & then says they have made payment,but will come & collect.Paypal will not protect you if this happens & it's a well knowing scam.
A lot of hysteria on here.

Bank account details are all issued on cheques, no harm there.
Your dads bank details are secure from fraud. Even if a DD is setup it can be refunded if fraudulent. However a BT can be reversed. Ask yourself why they MUST do a BT - why can't they just withdraw the cash and pay upon exchange.
So are you meeting me at the train station then or not?
Banned
Inactive

A lot of hysteria on here.Bank account details are all issued on cheques, … A lot of hysteria on here.Bank account details are all issued on cheques, no harm there.

so? what does that have to do with someone paying for something, getting the goods then reversing the payment?
colinsunderland

so? what does that have to do with someone paying for something, getting … so? what does that have to do with someone paying for something, getting the goods then reversing the payment?

The OP was mainly concerned about his Fathers Account details being given to a stranger.
Or, the alternative version:

"Hi Greenhell's dad. Where were you? My friend waited for an hour to meet you, ended up giving up. Not happy about this..."

"Hi. Um. Then who did I give the laptop to?"

You really have to trade with cash on Gumtree. Like, really, it's a mandatory thing if you're going to avoid being scammed.
[quote=thesaint]I wouldn't be concerned with giving the bank details. Those saying to close the account are as clueless as your dad.There is no good reason that I can think of why he would be paying into the bank, and then collecting.
My guess is that he will deposit a cheque that will bounce.

-------------------------
lol - I certainly do not class myself as clueless. As far as the OP person dad being clueless, people get scammed like this all the time, sometimes it really is catching a person 'off guard'.

The OP said the account was never used so, to me, this would be the perfect opportunity to close it.

As far as you saying they may deposit a cheque 'that will bounce', if the account is closed they cannot deposit the cheque in the first place - job done. Why go through all the hassle if the cheque does bounce, of trying to reclaim the money.

If things are not important about giving out your bank details - why is there so much hype about never disclosing your details?

Edited by: "maccy1" 27th Aug 2011
Original Poster
Hi guys thanks for the continuing posts today. I can confirm my dad did close the account down last night. This afternoon the guy phoned and said he was just away to make payment and then get his "friend" to meet my dad later on today. My dad explained the circumstances and that he would only accept cash but would be happy to deliver the item to the guy.

The scammer said he would just leave it...

Was definately dodgy.
You need to be so carful with things nowadays, gumtree is pretty bad - you can get scammed for anything on there. The one i find silly that people fall for is the renting a flat one, where they will post pictures of an amazing place with low rent, but they are away and cant let you veiw it, but need deposit and two months rent upfront paid by western union (which you should run a mile if anyone ever wants to be paid that way). End of story someone loses nearly a grand and has no flat.

Glad your dad wised up and wasnt caught out.
Banned
Inactive

The OP was mainly concerned about his Fathers Account details being given … The OP was mainly concerned about his Fathers Account details being given to a stranger.

no he wasn't, he was concerned about being scammed, which he will be if he goes ahead with it.
greenhell

Hi guys thanks for the continuing posts today. I can confirm my dad did … Hi guys thanks for the continuing posts today. I can confirm my dad did close the account down last night. This afternoon the guy phoned and said he was just away to make payment and then get his "friend" to meet my dad later on today. My dad explained the circumstances and that he would only accept cash but would be happy to deliver the item to the guy.The scammer said he would just leave it...Was definately dodgy.

Thanks for letting us know what happened. I least your dad know where he stands now, bet he feels a lot better - alls well that ends well
maccy1

lol - I certainly do not class myself as clueless. As far as the OP … lol - I certainly do not class myself as clueless. As far as the OP person dad being clueless, people get scammed like this all the time, sometimes it really is catching a person 'off guard'.

Which is why we are here to give sound advice to the OP.

maccy1

The OP said the account was never used so, to me, this would be the … The OP said the account was never used so, to me, this would be the perfect opportunity to close it.

"The perfect oppurtunity to close it". I have accounts that I haven't used for 10 years+.
They don't cost me anything, so I don't see what benefit closing them has.

maccy1

As far as you saying they may deposit a cheque 'that will bounce', if the … As far as you saying they may deposit a cheque 'that will bounce', if the account is closed they cannot deposit the cheque in the first place - job done. Why go through all the hassle if the cheque does bounce, of trying to reclaim the money.

Reclaim what money? Everyone in the thread said not to part with whatever it was that he was selling, why would he have needed to reclaim any money?

maccy1

If things are not important about giving out your bank details - why is … If things are not important about giving out your bank details - why is there so much hype about never disclosing your details?

The reason is because people like you have no clue, and repeat it Parrot fashion on the internet.

Now I'm confused.
I don't meet to sell in person to sell much but I would have thought paying via bank transfer is safer than paypal for sure and cash which could also be fake.
what the OP's dad gona do if the payment make from a hacked account?
Slash

Now I'm confused.I don't meet to sell in person to sell much but I would … Now I'm confused.I don't meet to sell in person to sell much but I would have thought paying via bank transfer is safer than paypal for sure and cash which could also be fake.

It really depends on what site ect but no, no way is foolproof or safer that cash on collection. With paypal and bank transfers they can easily be reversed if bounced or a fake account - its why you need to wait 48 hours with bank transfers incase they do bounce - but it really depends on the circumstances of your sale and whats being sent.
Banned
littlepinkstarz

It really depends on what site ect but no, no way is foolproof or safer … It really depends on what site ect but no, no way is foolproof or safer that cash on collection. With paypal and bank transfers they can easily be reversed if bounced or a fake account - its why you need to wait 48 hours with bank transfers incase they do bounce - but it really depends on the circumstances of your sale and whats being sent.

Western Union is safer than any other method. 48 hours doesn't do anything, a bank transfer can be recalled weeks later.
western union is safe if you are receiving a payment and sending money to someone you know, but if you are paying someone you dont know by western union then it is extremely unsafe.
colinsunderland

Western Union is safer than any other method. 48 hours doesn't do … Western Union is safer than any other method. 48 hours doesn't do anything, a bank transfer can be recalled weeks later.

Western Union is the preferred method for the majority of fraudsters.
its why ebay banned it, and why if you ever hear the words "payment to be by western union" you run like wind, otherwise you are going to end up with no money, no recourse and no item.
Inactive

Not for sending money, which is the case in this thread.

littlepinkstarz

its why ebay banned it, and why if you ever hear the words "payment to be … its why ebay banned it, and why if you ever hear the words "payment to be by western union" you run like wind, otherwise you are going to end up with no money, no recourse and no item.

Explain how a pre-payment by Western Union could have seen the OP's father out of cash?

Edited by: "thesaint" 28th Aug 2011
Banned
Inactive

really, can you explain how the op would have got scammed if they had accepted money using western union then?
the saint
The reason is because people like you have no clue, and repeat it Parrot fashion on the internet.

lol again - I am not repeating 'parrot' fashion on the internet as you so professionally put it.

I really think you are one of those people that would argue with themselves.

Clearly, you are the expert in all this, it seems you can not take anybodies opinion but your own, this shows by remarking any any comment that has not agreed with you.

We are not worthy and I take my hat off to you

Edited by: "maccy1" 28th Aug 2011
colinsunderland

really, can you explain how the op would have got scammed if they had … really, can you explain how the op would have got scammed if they had accepted money using western union then?

Not sure about the receiving money side of it,but I remember a few years ago that Western union cheques where guaranteed to clear in your bank & then 7 days later the banks would say it's bounced.Everyone was getting scammed this way & this was one of the first big scams I had read where a woman had sold a Plasma TV for something like £1000 & the scammer offered her £1300 if she could post it to uncle fred in Nigeria.She accepted because the cheque cleared & then she posted as requested.
The postage money also came from the bank/cheque & 7 days later the poor woman was told by the bank the cheque had bounced & she had to pay back the money she used to post the item.
She lost the TV & whatever the postage would have been to ship a TV.

That was around 6-7 Years ago,but not sure how Western Union works these days.
maccy1

Clearly, you are the expert in all this, it seems you can not take … Clearly, you are the expert in all this, it seems you can not take anybodies opinion but your own, this shows by remarking any any comment that has not agreed with you.

I am not interested in opinions, just facts. If you could post one, I would be happy to concede.
If you receive payment by western union it is usually fine - although they tell you never to send/receive money from people you dont know using he service, however if you pay someone by it its extremely easy to be scammed. I would say read this.
Edited by: "littlepinkstarz" 28th Aug 2011

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants