Groups
    EXPIRED

Selling on gumtree. Any advice?

Brother bought his nipper a Xbox one S for xmas. He managed to nab a good PS4 deal and is flogging the xbox. He's been offered what he wants by someone on gumtree and they're coming to collect it later. Any pitfalls to be aware of? He's not opened the console prior to today, should he and make not of serial etc?

14 Comments

Could he not just take the xbox back to where he bought it?

Original Poster

He's had it for more than a month. Not sure why he bought so early, but no he can't.

Make sure he takes cash only

Definitely take note of serials numbers etc so no arguments if they try to bring a faulty one back (I know sold as seen etc but less hassle if they get upset). Cash only no PayPal or bank transfers. And if possible show working etc.

Original Poster

copycatuk

Definitely take note of serials numbers etc so no arguments if they try … Definitely take note of serials numbers etc so no arguments if they try to bring a faulty one back (I know sold as seen etc but less hassle if they get upset). Cash only no PayPal or bank transfers. And if possible show working etc.

Cheers. I warned him of dodgy £20's as well.

Paddy_o_furniture

Brother bought his nipper a Xbox one S for xmas. He managed to … Brother bought his nipper a Xbox one S for xmas. He managed to nab a good PS4 deal and is flogging the xbox. He's been offered what he wants by someone on gumtree and they're coming to collect it later. Any pitfalls to be aware of? He's not opened the console prior to today, should he and make not of serial etc?

Have it set up and insist on the buyer seeing it working.

Note serial no's.

Accept cash only, possibly get hold of a pen to check the notes..?

Ensure someone is with you when buyer collects, preferably that WWE wrestler lookalike friend you may have

Follow the above and I'd be surprised if you had any problems.

Original Poster

andynicol

Have it set up and insist on the buyer seeing it working.Note serial … Have it set up and insist on the buyer seeing it working.Note serial no's.Accept cash only, possibly get hold of a pen to check the notes..? Ensure someone is with you when buyer collects, preferably that WWE wrestler lookalike friend you may have ;)Follow the above and I'd be surprised if you had any problems.

His wife ain't that butch!

Cheers.

Paddy_o_furniture

His wife ain't that butch!Cheers.

X)

p.s. ensure he hasn't left himself signed into Xbox Live..

Original Poster

andynicol

X)p.s. ensure he hasn't left himself signed into Xbox Live..

Pretty sure he's not even opened it.

Paddy_o_furniture

Pretty sure he's not even opened it.

Shouldn't have anything to worry about then.

Most scams on Gumtree etc occur when the seller doesn't follow the above advice, bank transfer and posting an item is a popular scam, as is returning a faulty item to a seller on the pretence it is the same item when it was there own faulty unit all along.

Sometimes advertising something your selling on your Facebook page is a good idea, that way your selling to a friend, or friend of a friend, less likely to be scammed, although problems could arise should said item develop a fault within a short space of time of course..

Good luck.

I just have people come to where I live and give me money for what I'm selling. I suppose I should take more precautions, but I suppose I just figure "oh, it's not that bad, people wouldn't do that"
    Though if you want to be as safe as possible:
    -meet in a neutral location with people around, preferably somewhere you know there's CCTV in operation
    -don't be alone
    -make sure that you both know 100% what you're buying/selling and for how much, to save arguments and such
    -if it's something that requires to be seen in working order, probably best to go to their house so you have information if the police need to be contacted, rather than a stranger turning up and you not knowing anything but their appearance
    -be sure to check the cash BEFORE you give them the goods
    -DO NOT accept delivery on items if you're buying, you've no leg to stand on
    -DO NOT accept paypal payment if you're selling, these can generally be charged back depending on the type of payment
    -if someone is coming to your house, make a note of their license plate if they arrive by car or ask them to bring ID if they're not

About as much as I can think of to remain safe, hope it helps.

Paddy_o_furniture

Cheers. I warned him of dodgy £20's as well.

​good idea, i've been done with fake 20's before, only real risk if it is cash on collection only other than potential for violence

Fake notes is so so common paper notes. Use a uv pen

Original Poster

He's done it, says thanks for all the advice. Nothing to worry about.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xiaomi redmi note 4 firmware37
      2. Bathroom suites12
      3. Unfair Dismissal22
      4. Ap on iPhone ios1144

See more discussions