Selling on shpock - payment via paypal

Found 9th Mar
Sold something on shpock seller wants to pay via PayPal
Value of item is about £110 delivered. Any advice on what I should look for to prevent getting scammed?
Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
From_the_Midlands30 m ago

tallpete33 wrote:Cash only if local....but if posting I would ask him for …tallpete33 wrote:Cash only if local....but if posting I would ask him for payment via bank transfer or Pingit rather than PP. Check the addressee name is the same as that on the bank account before sendingPayPal is better than bank transfer. Bank transfer is cash like transaction and offers no protection whatsoever. Name doesn't matter you can give your account sort code and number with anything as your name (Tom, Dick & Harry) and you would sill receive money as long as sort code and account number are entered correctly. PayPal offers guarantee that if you don't receive the item. They recover funds or refund you anyhow. Always refer to latest Terms and conditions, even PayPal terms can be outdated so please verify before proceeding.

OP is the seller! PayPal is a definite no-no. Bank transfer is much better.
Edited by: "chocci" 9th Mar
13 Comments
✋ Cash in hand
Cash is king
Cash only if local....but if posting I would ask him for payment via bank transfer or Pingit rather than PP. Check the addressee name is the same as that on the bank account before sending
tallpete3319 m ago

Cash only if local....but if posting I would ask him for payment via bank …Cash only if local....but if posting I would ask him for payment via bank transfer or Pingit rather than PP. Check the addressee name is the same as that on the bank account before sending

tallpete33 wrote:
Cash only if local....but if posting I would ask him for payment via bank transfer or Pingit rather than PP. Check the addressee name is the same as that on the bank account before sending

PayPal is better than bank transfer. Bank transfer is cash like transaction and offers no protection whatsoever. Name doesn't matter you can give your account sort code and number with anything as your name (Tom, Dick & Harry) and you would sill receive money as long as sort code and account number are entered correctly.
PayPal offers guarantee that if you don't receive the item. They recover funds or refund you anyhow.
Always refer to latest Terms and conditions, even PayPal terms can be outdated so please verify before proceeding.
From_the_Midlands30 m ago

tallpete33 wrote:Cash only if local....but if posting I would ask him for …tallpete33 wrote:Cash only if local....but if posting I would ask him for payment via bank transfer or Pingit rather than PP. Check the addressee name is the same as that on the bank account before sendingPayPal is better than bank transfer. Bank transfer is cash like transaction and offers no protection whatsoever. Name doesn't matter you can give your account sort code and number with anything as your name (Tom, Dick & Harry) and you would sill receive money as long as sort code and account number are entered correctly. PayPal offers guarantee that if you don't receive the item. They recover funds or refund you anyhow. Always refer to latest Terms and conditions, even PayPal terms can be outdated so please verify before proceeding.

OP is the seller! PayPal is a definite no-no. Bank transfer is much better.
Edited by: "chocci" 9th Mar
PayPal - Paid against your Preference and Lost.
As said go with cash.
So no to all forms of paypal? Thanks for all the advice. Might just tell him I'm not prepared to post. I'm in Newcastle he wants the item posted to Cardiff.
Paddy_o_furniture11 m ago

So no to all forms of paypal? Thanks for all the advice. Might just …So no to all forms of paypal? Thanks for all the advice. Might just tell him I'm not prepared to post. I'm in Newcastle he wants the item posted to Cardiff.

PayPal goods opens you up to not as described.

PayPal gift can be reversed if they claim it was an unauthorised transaction.

I'd stick to a local buyer with cash, that way they can inspect it on pick up and you'll get no comebacks.
Ask him to pay via bank transfer as it’s as good as cash. Forget PayPal as a seller.

What part of Cardiff?
PayPal but to family and friends - can’t file a claim then as those transactions are not protected and can’t get money back after scamming you
I just refuse to post items on shock, not worth the hassle as someone else local will buy my items soon enough.
I've told them I want bank transfer and I said I would provide my driving license as proof of address. They said they'd only pay via paypal. Told them no. Thanks for all the help.
I usually look at the buyers feedback or see how long they have joined up for, if it's a new member it's a bit fishy, but as most have said, cash in hand is the only safe way..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants