Selling phone to music magpie

Found 8th Mar
Hi
i bought a Samsung s7 edge last year from cash converters website.
i have just bought a new phone so decided to sell the old one, I sent it off to music magpie and received an email to say the phone is blocked, I know it wasn’t blocked as I was using it nearly a year and was up until I packaged it and sent it.
anyway I contacted music magpie and was told that I had to contact checkmend to sort this out and they said they will not return the phone to me as there’s a red flag on it.
so I emailed checkmend to find out what was going on to be told it’s not blocked but someone has claimed through Carphone Warehouse insurance, they gave me the details to contact them but when I rang they gave me an email address to contact them.
i have sent them an email and am awaiting a reply.
i rang cash converters who I bought the phone from and the guy told me to return the phone for a refund so I explained that music magpie won’t give me the phone back and he just laughed at me like I was stupid and said there’s nothing I can do.
i have emailed a complaint to them but I don’t know what else to do.
music magpie are refusing to return the phone to me so it’s impossible for me to return to cash converters.
can anyone give me any advise as I’m lost at where I stand with this.
i still have the receipt for the phone and I have been given the date of the insurance claim which was days after I bought it.
can anyone help? I really don’t want to just leave it as I have done nothing wrong and I paid nearly £400 last year for it, so it’s a lot of money to just lose
thanks xx
Community Updates
AskEntertainmentPhones
12 Comments
Surely you could now put a claim against Cash Converters? Possibly. After all, they sold you a mobile that has been blocked.
Not sure. Bit of a mine field you're in. Maybe some legal begals could come here to clarify your rights.
artnada1 h, 28 m ago

Surely you could now put a claim against Cash Converters? Possibly. After …Surely you could now put a claim against Cash Converters? Possibly. After all, they sold you a mobile that has been blocked. Not sure. Bit of a mine field you're in. Maybe some legal begals could come here to clarify your rights.

No they didn’t though ,wasn’t lost at point if sale ,this is why I would never buy from cex and cash con ,you will get your fingers burned

Could you not contact insurance fraud ,at least you get some pay back
I’ve contacted Carphone Warehouse on the email they gave me, but will they even help? Obviously they are going to want the phone back but surely there must be something I can do
I have no real answers but surely this can't be the first time this has happened so you would think that there is some kind of process for these companies to follow, what I don't understand though is how the phone continued to work after being reported lost/stolen as I thought that the blocking process was supposed to stop the phone being used???
what phone was it and how much was they offering for it anyways? Lol never undersotod people who would rather sell phones for nothing then spending 5 minutes listing it, your already sending the phone off to shop with music magpie so its not like its any easier doing that
I thought the phone would have been blocked but they have confirmed today that an insurance claim was made against the phone and it was not blocked or barred.
It was an S7 edge and they offered £205 for it so I thought it would be easier for me to just post it to them instead of messing around selling it.
Now they are just passing me around from music magpie, checkmend, Carphone Warehouse and cash converters and no one seems to want to help.
i would have just left it buts it’s a lot of money to just lose like that when I have done nothing wrong
It must be the fault of the insurer if they neglected to block the phone. Had they done that then you would've had a known blocked phone and could've returned it to cash converters shortly after purchase.

I don't know the circumstances in which they would pay out on a claim but not block the original handset.
Music magpie T & C's musicmagpie.co.uk/ter…ms/

states that you need to get this sorted with checkmend otherwise legally obliged to dispose off after 28 days if not sorted, so i'd get back in touch with Carphone warehouse if you don't get email reply.
Skaman4 h, 17 m ago

I have no real answers but surely this can't be the first time this has …I have no real answers but surely this can't be the first time this has happened so you would think that there is some kind of process for these companies to follow, what I don't understand though is how the phone continued to work after being reported lost/stolen as I thought that the blocking process was supposed to stop the phone being used???

It’s a loss rather than stolen so it wouldn’t be blocked. The person has probably sold the phone and then claimed it was lost and got a new one pocketing a good few quid.

I would report it to the police and see what they say.
you will have to get legal action to fix this issue.
Keep your recite to show you bought the phone get the report from the insurance company + musicmagpie/checkmend.
take action agent cash converters for selling a stolen phone.

you can try doing this without legal action e.g get all this info and fwd it on to cash converters saying you till take legal action if needed.
Edited by: "djmackie2000" 9th Mar
Tricky one.

Music Magpie will be required to keep potentially stolen goods out of circulation. While you are an innocent party in this that is the aim of the policy.
Similar to a shop with holding a suspected stolen credit card. You can’t get it back to to to the bank.

Really I’d say it is an issue with Cash Convertors. Take all the documentation from Music Magpie, ask for a copy of the Checkmend report too.
Then ask them to sort it out or go via small claims.
I have sent all the information on to a complaint to cash converters, they seem to be trying to get out of it by asking me to provide information I basically cant provide.
they asked me to prove I didn’t make the claim, how can I prove this? I never had insurance on the phone, Then they asked me to contact my network and asked when the phone was barred, it has nothing to do with any other network, it was claimed from Carphone ware house, not a network.
They have now said they will escalate my complaint to the store it was sent to me from.
i have provided all the screen shots of what checkmend, Carphone Warehouse and musicMagpie but I just don’t know where I stand in getting my money back
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants