Selling something and person says they cannot use PayPal and wants to do a bank transfer. is this good idea?

7 replies
Found 4th Oct 2016
Hi I'm selling something on Shpock and I have asked for payment via PayPal (less than £10) but they say their PayPal is playing up and want my bank details to pay it into my account. Is this advisable? I'm very cautious about this. I thought I'd canvas opinion.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments

They cant take money out of your bank using your account details only put in. You could check on online banking that it was there before you handed over goods. PayPal does offer protection but they are forfeiting their protection too from your item being faulty etc. I would.

Can't see that as a problem. Don't give them your date of birth or mothers maiden name though.

no issues, it's only the same info that is on a cheque.

I always take payment by bank transfer as it is normally safer and you have no fees.

EDIT: Only give them your name, account number and sort code though, nothing else.
Edited by: "joshp" 4th Oct 2016

sherbolton

They cant take money out of your bank using your account details only put … They cant take money out of your bank using your account details only put in. You could check on online banking that it was there before you handed over goods. PayPal does offer protection but they are forfeiting their protection too from your item being faulty etc. I would.

​They could set up a direct debit to a charity if they really wanted to..

It is no more information than on a cheque. All they need is your account number/sort code. All you have to do is check it is a cash deposit or a BACS transfer. You can ring your bank and they will confirm what sort of deposit it was.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. You've confirmed what I thought and the details I was going to supply. I just wanted to check. Have a good day.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244871
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322826
    3. Misco about to go into administration912
    4. Add one, leave one game54315392

See more discussions