Selling something on facebook

Posted 10th Feb
Hello, i sold a tent on facebook market place, the tent was second hand, i had never used the tent as i bought it for someone who didnt use it, so i decided to sell it. The buyer was messaging me about the tent through facebook, when i then gave him my number to text to arrange collection. The buyer couldn't come and collect the tent at the time so got a friend to come and collect it from me, his friend was happy with the tent and took it away. That night i had a call from the buyer saying he had put the tent up and was happy but realised that the annex wasnt included with the tent, i then apologied and said i would send it through the post to him and if i could have his address i will send it to him. He was happy with this. i then received a message on saturday to say that he is not happy with the tent and wants a refund, i advised him that the tent was sold as seen and was going to be sending through the annex for him if i could have his address. On sunday, i had 10 missed calls from his girlfriend, about another 10 missed calls from the buyer and a couple from his friend (the person who collected the tent) i have had numerous of messages, one off his girlfriend saying 'i suggest you answer your phone', friend requests off his girlfriend on facebook and instagram. He then messaged my parents saying that he wants a refund. The buyer and myself exchanged some messages on sunday and i said the tent was sold as seen and i will not be giving the money back, he has had the tent since last week and was happy when i spoke on the phone, i also explained that i needed his address to send the annex to him. On monday morning when i was at work, i had another message off the buyer saying ' i will be coming to your house to get my money, not the annex' then i had a picture of my house sent to me. This is very threating to me... i then was having a break at work when my dad rang to say that the buyers girlfiend has rang my dads work asking if he had a daughter, a daughter who has recently sold something on facebook, the phone then cut off, then the buyer called his work to speak to him, now saying the tent is completely damaged and ripped, he is not happy, its not as described and he wants his money back. i have messaged the buyer to say that the tent was in good condition when i owed it, can i have some pictures of the tent to see where the damage is, i also said that his friend when collecting the tent was happy and that when i spoke to the buyer on thursday he was happy with everything just not the annex.
I dont know what to do as it is turning into something nasty, the buyer is sending me pictures of where i live, which is making me feel threatened. can someone advise me what i should do? Do i legally need to give him his money back? i dont want to get into any trouble for this but anything could have happened in the buyers possession?
i listed the tent for £800 and he paid £800 for it, he lives around 3 hours away from me but is saying he will be coming to collect his money when he drops the tent back off. Any advise is helpful as i have never had anything like this before
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Get the police involved if he’s threatening. He bought it after viewing and was a private sale. You don’t legally have to give him anything back
phoebeandrews2210/02/2020 14:08

Thank you for your advise Will, even though i havent given him all of the …Thank you for your advise Will, even though i havent given him all of the items to go with the tent? i didnt realise when his friend had collected it that it wasnt with the tent, i have ask numerous times to have his address but nothing, i have asked for pictures of the rips. it was a private sale but now he is ringing my dad at work it is worrying me.

Yes doesn’t matter you didn’t give him everything the issue is he harassing you and now your family.

Both in and out of your workplaces.

This is not acceptable at all.
51 Comments
Get the police involved if he’s threatening. He bought it after viewing and was a private sale. You don’t legally have to give him anything back
-Will-10/02/2020 14:05

Get the police involved if he’s threatening. He bought it after viewing a …Get the police involved if he’s threatening. He bought it after viewing and was a private sale. You don’t legally have to give him anything back

Thank you for your advise Will, even though i havent given him all of the items to go with the tent? i didnt realise when his friend had collected it that it wasnt with the tent, i have ask numerous times to have his address but nothing, i have asked for pictures of the rips. it was a private sale but now he is ringing my dad at work it is worrying me.

Thank you for your advise Will, even though i havent given him all of the …Thank you for your advise Will, even though i havent given him all of the items to go with the tent? i didnt realise when his friend had collected it that it wasnt with the tent, i have ask numerous times to have his address but nothing, i have asked for pictures of the rips. it was a private sale but now he is ringing my dad at work it is worrying me.

Block the number
-Will-10/02/2020 14:05

Get the police involved if he’s threatening. He bought it after viewing a …Get the police involved if he’s threatening. He bought it after viewing and was a private sale. You don’t legally have to give him anything back

As above.

This needs to be taken to the police.

I suggest contacting them asap.

This is totally unacceptable behaviour
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 10th Feb

Yes doesn’t matter you didn’t give him everything the issue is he harassing you and now your family.

Both in and out of your workplaces.

This is not acceptable at all.
He'll rip it purposely for the photos if, as it sounds like, he is an idiot.
Report to police all details..numbers, accounts etc. Inform them and dont get caught in a back and forth.
And consider looking at privacy on internet as they have found your father's employer/place of work easily.
You have the text messages to prove that his friend was coming don't you? this is the problem with collections etc, doesnt facebook offer any buyer protection? but since its cash on collection i suppose that is a different case.
What you are describing is being made to feel fear as well as stalking attributes. That comes under criminal law and you are best documenting all you have formally and raising it with your local police.

Your local police will be best positioned on advising further here.

You are correct that a second hand item is sold as seen on private sales which his appointed agent had chance to inspect. The correct course of action if someone was in dispute is not to harass and stalk you but to raise a small claims case which is unlikely to hold any water here.

Definitely go to police. You didn’t have to offer to post the missing piece to him but you have which was nice on your part but as private sales go he has very little to stand on ( sold as seen and all that). That’s no excuse for him to be threatening. Go and see your local police station for some better advice. But definitely don’t wait around for anything to happen further.
Oh dear. Firstly, how do you know for sure the tent had no damage if you haven't ever used it yourself.
Is it possible that the buyer has now opened it and found an issue?

Personally, I would have just taken the refund as you don't want to spend the next days, weeks, months worrying that somebody may key your car, damage family business reputation etc.

I would find somebody that you know who is very logical / rational / level headed and ask for them to phone them on your behalf to discuss the actual issue at hand.

I would go down this route even if not your fault, it just isn't worth the hassle. If he had bought on Ebay he would get his money back. You can always sell it on again but you dont want them damaging it out of spite first.
Keep ALL evidence of messages/calls/emails/whatever from the buyer to yourself or other family members and call the police to advise further.
If you don't already I would advise putting a camera up outside your house incase they damage your property. Going to say all your windows broken and car mangled vs money for a tent I know which one I would rather.
Cloeeez10/02/2020 14:36

Keep ALL evidence of messages/calls/emails/whatever from the buyer to …Keep ALL evidence of messages/calls/emails/whatever from the buyer to yourself or other family members and call the police to advise further.If you don't already I would advise putting a camera up outside your house incase they damage your property. Going to say all your windows broken and car mangled vs money for a tent I know which one I would rather.

Exactly. It is ok people saying dont refund etc but it isn't them who may suffer. In 3 months time you may find an expensive issue and you may have an idea who did it but you can't be sure. And even if you knew, you won't get your money back.
They seem very angry, it is possible that the dent does have damage given the OP has never used it and bought it second hand.

I purchased a used tent that was listed as immaculate. You cannot open a 7m tent in a doorway so I didn't find the repairs in the floor for 3 months till I took it away. It really annoyed me but I didn't bother contacting the seller. However, other people will attack you for anything , even road rage when you are the innocent victim. It just isn't worth it.
You and everyone else involved should all change your privacy settings and block his girlfriend etc from accessing your profiles. Just keep specific channels of communication between you and the buyer.
I think I misread the initial post. If you have no idea if there was damage when sold then I would recommend refunding on receipt of tent- it would be different if you knew there was no damage.
Report to fb too
The fact that they're a Facebook user should've been warning-enough.
Erudite10/02/2020 15:13

As everybody on Facebook is a confidence trickster.
deleted1781210/02/2020 15:18

If that's rhyming for "hipster" then yes
Erudite10/02/2020 15:13

deleted1781210/02/2020 15:18

colinged10/02/2020 15:28

If that's rhyming for "hipster" then yes

Trickster does rhyme with hipster; yes.

I was trying to understand how the assertion made (by Make.Amazon.Great.Again) was linked to the topic of this thread.
Don’t bother with police ACAB, just tell them to do one. Tell your dad to tell them you don’t love there. If it’s 3 hours away they won’t waste time going backwards and forwards.
toonsquirel10/02/2020 16:45

Don’t bother with police ACAB, just tell them to do one. Tell your dad to t …Don’t bother with police ACAB, just tell them to do one. Tell your dad to tell them you don’t love there. If it’s 3 hours away they won’t waste time going backwards and forwards.

For £800 they might, probably will.
Edited by: "smashed" 10th Feb
smashed10/02/2020 16:48

For £800 they might, probably will.

A 6 hour trip must be about 300 mile round trip so he’s wasting a full day and up to £50 a time petrol. It’s just too far to keep going on the off chance your at home and even slimmer chance you’ll have £800 on you or will go for it.
toonsquirel10/02/2020 16:52

A 6 hour trip must be about 300 mile round trip so he’s wasting a full day …A 6 hour trip must be about 300 mile round trip so he’s wasting a full day and up to £50 a time petrol. It’s just too far to keep going on the off chance your at home and even slimmer chance you’ll have £800 on you or will go for it.

You have missed the point. Neither of us know this person or their mental state. Personally I would take any threat seriously and I think it is irresponsible to tell somebody not to worry about it when we have little info other than that somebody is angry and making threats.
If this was my relative I wouldn't be saying "don't worry".
smashed10/02/2020 17:05

You have missed the point. Neither of us know this person or their mental …You have missed the point. Neither of us know this person or their mental state. Personally I would take any threat seriously and I think it is irresponsible to tell somebody not to worry about it when we have little info other than that somebody is angry and making threats. If this was my relative I wouldn't be saying "don't worry".

One things for sure I wouldn’t bother the police with this. Anyone can get a photo of someone’s house from google, he’s not actually making nasty threats they just want there money back. Either give it back if there really worried (I wouldn’t) or tell them to do one and ignore them. The police have actual things to deal with, like crimes! If it was my relative who was really worried I’d definitely say don’t worry, if they did come to the house and did become threatening and refused to leave then maybe get the police involved but that’s when there committing a crime.
toonsquirel10/02/2020 17:17

One things for sure I wouldn’t bother the police with this. Anyone can get …One things for sure I wouldn’t bother the police with this. Anyone can get a photo of someone’s house from google, he’s not actually making nasty threats they just want there money back. Either give it back if there really worried (I wouldn’t) or tell them to do one and ignore them. The police have actual things to deal with, like crimes! If it was my relative who was really worried I’d definitely say don’t worry, if they did come to the house and did become threatening and refused to leave then maybe get the police involved but that’s when there committing a crime.

Being made to feel in fear, harassment and stalking are crimes (only takes 2 occurrences under guidelines where the OP has quoted a lot more)

Not reporting crimes to the police, besides being the best positioned in offering better practical advice than this forum, also removes recording patterns of history being at their disposal in wishing to pursue this, previous or subsequent activity.
Was the tent assembled for the person who collected it to view?
JumpMan198010/02/2020 18:41

Was the tent assembled for the person who collected it to view?

We are asking a newbie single poster who created a thread and hasn't been back However I highly doubt they put up a large tent.
InetUID10/02/2020 14:13

He'll rip it purposely for the photos if, as it sounds like, he is an …He'll rip it purposely for the photos if, as it sounds like, he is an idiot.

The tent was in perfect condition when i owned it, so i think the buyer would have ripped it on purpose, or put the tent up and didnt know how to do it and has ripped it that way... But i know that the tent was not ripped when i owned it, so if i gave the buyer their money back i will be £800 out of pocket and ahve a ripped tent that i cant re-sell
colinged10/02/2020 14:16

And consider looking at privacy on internet as they have found your …And consider looking at privacy on internet as they have found your father's employer/place of work easily.

Yes i think that is a good idea, its scary that people can find that much information about you without you even knowing... thank you for your advice
punji10/02/2020 14:16

You have the text messages to prove that his friend was coming don't you? …You have the text messages to prove that his friend was coming don't you? this is the problem with collections etc, doesnt facebook offer any buyer protection? but since its cash on collection i suppose that is a different case.

Yes i have all messages, phone calls, etc. i had about 60 missed calls on sunday, now they arent replying to my messages when i am trying to sort this out
Bertz9910/02/2020 14:20

What you are describing is being made to feel fear as well as stalking …What you are describing is being made to feel fear as well as stalking attributes. That comes under criminal law and you are best documenting all you have formally and raising it with your local police.Your local police will be best positioned on advising further here.You are correct that a second hand item is sold as seen on private sales which his appointed agent had chance to inspect. The correct course of action if someone was in dispute is not to harass and stalk you but to raise a small claims case which is unlikely to hold any water here.

Yes i would completely agree with you, thank you for your advice. Whenever something is sold on facebook everyone takes a risk, however, when his friend came and got the tent, he was happy to take it. On the Thursday evening he said that he was happy with the tent (he had put the tent up) and just wanted me to send the annex.. so not sure how it could have changed so much in that time
-Will-10/02/2020 14:20

Definitely go to police. You didn’t have to offer to post the missing p …Definitely go to police. You didn’t have to offer to post the missing piece to him but you have which was nice on your part but as private sales go he has very little to stand on ( sold as seen and all that). That’s no excuse for him to be threatening. Go and see your local police station for some better advice. But definitely don’t wait around for anything to happen further.

I offered to post it to the buyer or even drive 3 hours and deliver the parts for him as it was my mistake. The buyer is now not responding to my messages when i have asked to see where the damage is on the tent. I then also found out last night that the buyer had rang my Dad at work 3 times, saying i was a liar, that i have robbed him, the tent is completely destroyed, etc. However, he is now not responding to me even though i am trying to sort it out?!?!?
Cloeeez10/02/2020 14:36

Keep ALL evidence of messages/calls/emails/whatever from the buyer to …Keep ALL evidence of messages/calls/emails/whatever from the buyer to yourself or other family members and call the police to advise further.If you don't already I would advise putting a camera up outside your house incase they damage your property. Going to say all your windows broken and car mangled vs money for a tent I know which one I would rather.

Yes i have kept all messages, calls, etc from the buyer so i can have it as evidence. Yes i agree with what you are saying. Thank you for your advice
smashed10/02/2020 14:44

Exactly. It is ok people saying dont refund etc but it isn't them who may …Exactly. It is ok people saying dont refund etc but it isn't them who may suffer. In 3 months time you may find an expensive issue and you may have an idea who did it but you can't be sure. And even if you knew, you won't get your money back.They seem very angry, it is possible that the dent does have damage given the OP has never used it and bought it second hand.I purchased a used tent that was listed as immaculate. You cannot open a 7m tent in a doorway so I didn't find the repairs in the floor for 3 months till I took it away. It really annoyed me but I didn't bother contacting the seller. However, other people will attack you for anything , even road rage when you are the innocent victim. It just isn't worth it.

Thank you for your advice. Even if you bought the tent from a shop and wanted to take it back after 3 months you cant. The tent was sold as seen and he was happy with it when he put it up at home. The buyer sent his friend to come and collect the tent who was happy with it, when the buyers friend dropped it off with the buyer, the buyer put the tent up straight away and was happy with it. The tent is a touring tent which goes on top of a vehicle, this tent brand new is £2000.00, i sold it for £800.
Doug_10/02/2020 14:50

You and everyone else involved should all change your privacy settings and …You and everyone else involved should all change your privacy settings and block his girlfriend etc from accessing your profiles. Just keep specific channels of communication between you and the buyer.

Thank you for your advice, i think that is a good idea! i will have a look into that as it is scary what people can find out about you
colinged10/02/2020 14:59

I think I misread the initial post. If you have no idea if there was …I think I misread the initial post. If you have no idea if there was damage when sold then I would recommend refunding on receipt of tent- it would be different if you knew there was no damage.

There was no damage on the tent when it was sold, there was some marks on the outside bag / cover which i told him about and he was happy with this. Only some marks but no rips or holes etc.
toonsquirel10/02/2020 16:45

Don’t bother with police ACAB, just tell them to do one. Tell your dad to t …Don’t bother with police ACAB, just tell them to do one. Tell your dad to tell them you don’t love there. If it’s 3 hours away they won’t waste time going backwards and forwards.

Thank you for your advice
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants