Selling tickets via gumtree

Found 6th Mar
I have some gig tickets I need to sell ASAP. A gentleman has offered to buy them, I have spoke in the phone with him. And he seems genuine. I stated in the ad cash on collection but the gig is coming up so I could do with selling soon. What is the safest way to sell them, I know people say never use PayPal because of all the scams. I was thinking cheque? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Tickets and gumtree in the same sentence, does not sound good!!! I can feel a being scammed by some local idiots on gumtree post coming!(lol)
A curious post. Almost sounds like an ad to sell the tickets.

A cheque is probably on the same par as accepting bank notes without scrutinising them for forgeries bankofengland.co.uk/ban…tes

Using Paypal can work if you stick to their rules to get cover for fraud. Read their instructions and follow them to the letter.
Advertise them on Facebook, Cash on collection. More likely to get a local person to buy them.
Don't forget to use your phone to take pics. If he is genuine, he will not have a problem with it
I sold tickets on gumtree few times via bank transfer. We communicated via email and spoke on phone.

If they tried claiming i had conversation as proof that tickets were purchased.

I never had an issue.

Be careful with cash on collection. Someone i know was given fake notes with real ones.
ccnp1 h, 42 m ago

A curious post. Almost sounds like an ad to sell the tickets.A cheque is …A curious post. Almost sounds like an ad to sell the tickets.A cheque is probably on the same par as accepting bank notes without scrutinising them for forgeries https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/counterfeit-banknotes/how-to-check-your-banknotesUsing Paypal can work if you stick to their rules to get cover for fraud. Read their instructions and follow them to the letter.

Thank for the advice, hardly an ad to sell the tickets though is it lol
ccnp1 h, 43 m ago

A curious post. Almost sounds like an ad to sell the tickets.A cheque is …A curious post. Almost sounds like an ad to sell the tickets.A cheque is probably on the same par as accepting bank notes without scrutinising them for forgeries https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/counterfeit-banknotes/how-to-check-your-banknotesUsing Paypal can work if you stick to their rules to get cover for fraud. Read their instructions and follow them to the letter.

I was thinking, cheque, then cash it and wait for it to clear.
Personally I only do cash on collection for anything I sell via Gumtree.
That site is far too risky for anything else in my opinion.

Appreciate this means you can probably only sell to locals.
mart32114 m ago

I was thinking, cheque, then cash it and wait for it to clear.

To clear a cheque properly takes ages I think, even when it’s showing in your account it’s not always cleared
Yep, cash or put them on twickets.
Edited by: "cdm22" 6th Mar
The Ugandan branch of Barclays bank sound genuine on the phone.

Avoid and accept cash only.

You have been warned.
snoopy181 h, 19 m ago

To clear a cheque properly takes ages I think, even when it’s showing in y …To clear a cheque properly takes ages I think, even when it’s showing in your account it’s not always cleared

Surely no longer than a week though
What you're getting at is he wants to pay by cheque which will bounce. Then everyone here to say it will be OK. If he has the money cash is fine, no cheques. Jeez
mart3212 h, 53 m ago

Surely no longer than a week though

I think Cheques can be "bounced" up to 6 months later! CASH is king in this situation.
Edited by: "artnada" 6th Mar
artnada16 h, 38 m ago

I think Cheques can be "bounced" up to 6 months later! CASH is king in …I think Cheques can be "bounced" up to 6 months later! CASH is king in this situation.

Cheques have been subject of the "2-4-6 clearing" for some years now. Some banks are using quicker methods, introduced since October last year, but the 2-4-6 is the yardstick.

If you pay a sterling cheque into your account through a branch on a Monday, you will see it in your account the same day. It counts towards any interest on Wednesday (2 working days), you can use the money on Friday (4 working days), and we cannot take the payment out of your account after the following Tuesday (6 working days).

6 business days is still a long time to wait. If you can't have cash then you can ask the buyer to pay by bank transfer. You do have to make sure the BT was a cash deposit and wait until close of play to ensure it's cleared (you can check both these things by ringing your bank).

The safest option is to meet face to face and take cash in exchange for the tickets.
Scarlet mist, letmein etc.

If selling via any other means only accept cash no exceptions no matter what ever sob story someone gives you.
Edited by: "burntoast" 7th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions