Selling unwanted mobile phone online

Found 10th Apr
hi, where is best to do this online as there are so many options, gumtree, ebay and the various recycle websites, has anyone experience with either?
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Gumtree = rip off
eBay = good chance of rip off
Facebook = good chance of rip off

Sell face to face only or use the likes of Musicmagpie or Mazuma etc

Seller beware.
Use eScam to price what you want to sell it for (search for 'sold' listings of your model). Cross check with CEX.

If eScam send you a £1 final fee offer, you could use eScam to sell it but that is fraught with all kinds of con artists and time wasters (see other posts on here) who eScam do their level best to pretend are serious and honest buyers. Plus you may get paid by Paypal (owned by eScam). You may very well have to fight hard to avoid losing the phone and having to give the money back and paying eScam/Paypal charges

Use Gumtree to sell.

Look up how to spot fake currency and get yourself a counterfeit note pen off Amazon
artnada7 m ago

Gumtree = rip offeBay = good chance of rip off Facebook = good chance of …Gumtree = rip offeBay = good chance of rip off Facebook = good chance of rip off Sell face to face only or use the likes of Musicmagpie or Mazuma etcSeller beware.

How is Gumtree a 'rip off'? (Genuine question). It's free. It looks and feels like the old classified ads in the paper. I have used it many times and never had anything like the problems I get on eScam. Just the occasional time waster but they are far easier to spot than on eScam.
ccnp14 m ago

How is Gumtree a 'rip off'? (Genuine question). It's free. It looks and …How is Gumtree a 'rip off'? (Genuine question). It's free. It looks and feels like the old classified ads in the paper. I have used it many times and never had anything like the problems I get on eScam. Just the occasional time waster but they are far easier to spot than on eScam.

Gumtree is a scammers paradise.

I would NEVER send off a phone to complete strangers. Far too easy for them to claim it never arrived.

Cash on collection and meet face to face.
Which phone is it?
artnada21 m ago

Gumtree is a scammers paradise.I would NEVER send off a phone to complete …Gumtree is a scammers paradise.I would NEVER send off a phone to complete strangers. Far too easy for them to claim it never arrived. Cash on collection and meet face to face.

On Gumtree it's a good idea to just do cash on collection but you can send stuff if you want and just use a signed for service or courier so there is proof the item has been delivered... if that's your worry. You're not even tied to using Paypal for that matter...
Always use Mazuma or Music Magpie to be honest. Maybe get a few quids less than a private sale, but its safe, and as long as your phone is in the condition you say it is, its guaranteed too.
artnada58 m ago

Gumtree is a scammers paradise.I would NEVER send off a phone to complete …Gumtree is a scammers paradise.I would NEVER send off a phone to complete strangers. Far too easy for them to claim it never arrived. Cash on collection and meet face to face.

Ah. Agreed you should never post send anything sold on Gumtree. Always face to face
Don't take the warnings of private sale fully to heart. Not everything is a scam.

I've sold on eBay, gumtree, Facebook and sohock
Things ranging from Xbox one's, ps4s, clothes, sport equipment to mobile phones and collectable game statues. Not once been scammed.

Most sales were face to face but have sent items out and have paid before receipt of goods as well (Facebook recently).

If you're going to list on Facebook, sphock and gumtree you're more likely to get a face to face buyer.

I don't really look into recycling sites as they offer around 30% less than what you can get private and for some phones that can be a difference of £100.

Cex and Game are laughable with what they offer. Can be £200 difference.
Edited by: "kos1c" 10th Apr
I sold to These. Honor. A Huawei company (if not owned by them they are endorsed and linked to them via their site). I got nearly three times as much for my phone with them than was offered by music magpie. No quibbling about condition etc, paid out almost immediately. Costs nothing to get a price.
artnada3 h, 24 m ago

Gumtree = rip offeBay = good chance of rip off Facebook = good chance of …Gumtree = rip offeBay = good chance of rip off Facebook = good chance of rip off Sell face to face only or use the likes of Musicmagpie or Mazuma etcSeller beware.

Gumtree and Facebook are great avenues to advertise to a wide audience, for free.

I've sold many varying items on both with no problems whatsoever.

Stick with cash on collection and there should be no problems, give the buyer ample time/opportunity to fully inspect and test the item in question so theres no comeback.

Ignore any requests to post the item, including those offering extra for the inconvenience, however tempting it is, ignore at all costs.

Ignore any requests to deliver the item, particularly something of high value, you don't know who's behind that door.

Treat any requests to meet in a public place with caution, don't go alone and ensure your'e 100% happy before proceeding.

Only scam/horror stories I've heard is when the seller either ;

posts the item (buyer then claims for non-receipt or doesn't pay)

meets/delivers the item and it turns nasty
flylife - 'hi, where is best to do this online as there are so many options, gumtree, ebay and the various recycle websites, has anyone experience with either?'

Search on CEX uk.webuy.com for your same model, see what the going rate is in there for secondhand, bear in mind CEX offer warranty so this is a guideline only, when those stupid offers come in its handy to know what the hight street secondhand going rate is.

Search on eBay, narrow the search down to your exact same model and change search criteria to 'uk only' - 'buy now' - 'lowest price incl p&p first', gives an indication of what sellers are asking.

Search on Gumtree, see what your model is advertised for locally, browse the adverts, do they include box, charger, headphones, bear this in mind with your asking price.

If I've upgraded, iPhone for example, I've included the brand new charger, USB cable and headphones with the sale of the old one, increases the appeal to a buyer.

Avoid eBay, fees & P&P often means you make little, handset depending of course, but if its an expensive handset then this attracts the scammers.

Advertise on Facebook and Gumtree, as you've researched, you know the current asking price, more likely they will be selling for slightly less, i.e. handset advertised for £100, most FB/GT buyers will expect to get this for £85-90, haggling seems obligatory these days, stand your ground, be patient and have a lowest price in mind.

Cash on collection only, and allow the buyer to inspect fully, tell them beforehand to bring there SIM card and test it with there own SIM installed to ensure there 100% happy, ensure you'r not alone when they visit.
Don't post on Facebook, they are time wasters and send you very less offers. I tried fb, ebay, sphock and gum tree. Just sold it to a curious ebay customer. Fees are a lot on eBay tho
Used envirophone several times and always paid out no problems. Always send it special delivery though and ensure it’s insured.

Remember with things like gumtree Facebook shpock and stuff like that you have to let people come over to your house, they then know where you live and the minute they have a problem with it they will be straight round to ask for a refund, from posts I’ve seen here some even use threatening behaviour to get it too and if you think the police will do anything about it they won’t unless there is significant evidence. Good luck.

It ain’t worth all that risk for an extra £10-20. Sell it to mazuma, music magpie or envirophone.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 10th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions