Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Selling via paypal

Posted 24th Nov
I'm selling a phone via FB market place and the buyer has asked if they can pay me via PayPal whilst I deliver the phone via royal mail . Is this a secure way of receiving the cash ?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
I always ask them to pay family and friends on fb, as I won’t cover the fees and they will have to. Make sure you send it special delivery. I have not had any issues on fb marketplace, compared to a lot on eBay, but I’m sure someone will come along and tell you they have. Also, if you do use PayPal, make sure the funds are in your account before sending, and don’t just rely on emails, as that was a form of scam.
Edited by: "choccie32" 24th Nov
choccie3224/11/2019 13:27

I always ask them to pay family and friends on fb, as I won’t cover the f …I always ask them to pay family and friends on fb, as I won’t cover the fees and they will have to. Make sure you send it special delivery. I have not had any issues on fb marketplace, compared to a lot on eBay, but I’m sure someone will come along and tell you they have. Also, if you do use PayPal, make sure the funds are in your account before sending, and don’t just rely on emails.

This is my first time selling but conversation has been moved to text -so is family and friends on PayPal ?

Ok I can receive funds first but what's to stop me from not sending the phone ?! Won't that put the buyer off
Edited by: "justboughtz3compact" 24th Nov
Secure to receive = yes; secure to keep = no. Even if paid by PP F&F it can be reversed / reclaimed as chargeback and if latter you'd then be liable for chargeback admin fees. Bank transfers can also be reversed. Real cash is king, especially if paid by the buyer over the counter at your bank in your presence.
Cash only on FB/Gumtree/Shpock etc. Anything else and you exposing yourself to the risk of losing your phone for nothing.
AndyRoyd24/11/2019 13:33

Secure to receive = yes; secure to keep = no. Even if paid by PP F&F it …Secure to receive = yes; secure to keep = no. Even if paid by PP F&F it can be reversed / reclaimed as chargeback and if latter you'd then be liable for chargeback admin fees. Bank transfers can also be reversed. Real cash is king, especially if paid by the buyer over the counter at your bank in your presence.

Ah so even if I send the phone they could claim back the funds ?!!!
justboughtz3compact24/11/2019 13:34

Ah so even if I send the phone they could claim back the funds ?!!! …Ah so even if I send the phone they could claim back the funds ?!!!

Yes.
justboughtz3compact24/11/2019 13:34

Ah so even if I send the phone they could claim back the funds ?!!! …Ah so even if I send the phone they could claim back the funds ?!!!

The fact that anyone would be prepared to pay a complete stranger money to mail a phone to them, with no guarantees whatsoever should ring alarm bells for you. Would you send someone money and just trust they send a phone to you?
deeky24/11/2019 13:38

..Would you send someone money and just trust they send a phone to you?

Peeps buy from dubious sellers on Aliexpress every day. Incredible.
Wait for a local sale paid for with cash
It’s fine as long as it’s PayPal goods and safest way is if you send him an invoice for your iPhone then when you send it get full proof from Royal Mail and he can’t claim it back because you can prove you sent it. There’s always the chance like with eBay he says it’s broken but that’s a separate scam
Bank Transfer is a better bet, it can't be reversed.
Seriously, just don't.
Will go bank transfer or in person deal !
toonsquirel24/11/2019 13:48

It’s fine as long as it’s PayPal goods and safest way is if you send him an …It’s fine as long as it’s PayPal goods and safest way is if you send him an invoice for your iPhone then when you send it get full proof from Royal Mail and he can’t claim it back because you can prove you sent it. There’s always the chance like with eBay he says it’s broken but that’s a separate scam

Unless the PP payment is subsequently shown to be unauthorised, which will result in instant reversal and leave OP attempting to recover their proven-delivered item to a recipient who no longer exists.
justboughtz3compact24/11/2019 14:11

Will go bank transfer or in person deal !

Bank transfers can be reversed if subsequently stated to have been unauthorised by the true accountholder e.g. bank account hack / compromisation.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions