Groups

Selling/buying house

Generally, how long does it take to sell an existing and buy a new house?

Going away for a month at the end of October and I'd prefer to have sold this one and brought another before then, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

(First time doing this so please be gentle)

10 Comments

I'd suggest you enjoy your holiday and then worry about buying/selling your place. If you have perfect conditions with say cash buyer and everything goes smoothly then it can be completed in a matter of weeks. seldom do house buying/selling go perfectly/smoothly.

yours is complicated by the fact that not only are you selling yours which is the easier part but you are buying and I'd seriously not try to rush anything when buying.
    Edited by: "EN1GMA" 12th Aug 2016

Depends how long the chain is and whether everybody's solicitors is up to speed oO

Banned

also lease takes twice as long as freehold

My first two houses went through in 2-3 months. My most recent move took 3-4 months due to an issue with the valuation.

I believe the rule of thumb is generally 2-3 months. But as people state above it all depends on how long the chain is.

It can depend massively on your area and how long the searches take.
    The searches alone when my parents sold their house was over 6 weeks oO

We were advised that if everything goes according to plan 8 weeks is realistic. Obviously there are a lot of things that can hold things up though including lazy solicitors etc.

sickly sweet

It can depend massively on your area and how long the searches take. The … It can depend massively on your area and how long the searches take. The searches alone when my parents sold their house was over 6 weeks oO

Our searches took a matter of days but they aren't requested until you are at a certain point in the process normally.
    Edited by: "CyDoNiA" 12th Aug 2016

CyDoNiA

Our searches took a matter of days but they aren't requested until you … Our searches took a matter of days but they aren't requested until you are at a certain point in the process normally.

There was a huge backlog and they weren't computerised, hence the backlog. Buying a house took 4 weeks for the searches. This is in addition to the usual rigmarole.

It all depends on your local area.

Banned

sorry but the law has changed now, even the ones earning Good money have to show so much stuff to the mortgage banks etc plus a few added checks have been added like coal, and floods etc etc. a few other facts, it depends on how many houses are for sale in your area, is it a sought after area or not, can take from months to a year or two.

Ike someone else said, think of your holiday.

sofiasar

sorry but the law has changed now, even the ones earning Good money have … sorry but the law has changed now, even the ones earning Good money have to show so much stuff to the mortgage banks etc plus a few added checks have been added like coal, and floods etc etc. a few other facts, it depends on how many houses are for sale in your area, is it a sought after area or not, can take from months to a year or two. Ike someone else said, think of your holiday.

This is presuming they are not a cash buyer and not bothering with environmental searches.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Salecharms.com is this a genuine pandora retailer?34
      2. SCS add ons... are they worth it??37
      3. Iphone 6 to which handset?711
      4. What do I do if item is damaged I bought on eBay.914

See more discussions