Expired

Sending a new paypal invoice for ebay item

Found 22nd Jan 2012
Sold a pretty expensive phone today (short on cash and need this phone money without fail, do not want to be screwed out of it over a silly mistake)
Listed it as buy in now
Buyer bought it and on the ebay system it says.. The buyer will pay you via personal cheque... Then they emailed me saying they want to pay via paypal and want me to send a new invoice
Anything i should be worried about ( will i still be covered by paypal?)
Many thanks
And i do apologise if this is very basic question but i have not used ebay for a very long time and i have heard about paypal reverse fees etc
Community Updates
Misc
14 Comments
Go for the paypal....much quicker and safer
Cheque cold bounce
My Advice Take the PayPal option safer they keep records
Banned
if they pay through paypal you will be charged 15% of the final selling price
eg i sell something for 200 i have to give ebay £20

Sounds a bit weird to me.
To send an invoice, I think (off the top of my head) if you go to your sold items then click on the righ hand side of the item and select 'unmark item paid' (ie change from 'paid' to 'unpaid') or something like that. Then you can select 'send invoice' and it will be sent to their paypal address which is linked to their eBay account.
It might be that their paypal is not the one linked to that eBay account and they are trying to get you to send the invoice to a different address? In which case alarm bells would ring with me, in case it was a hacked account.
Make sure you dispatch the phone with a trackable service, such as royal mail special delivery, or courier (with insurance). If they use paypal, do not let the buyer collect the phone, you need to be able to prove delivery.
TheGiLLHD

if they pay through paypal you will be charged 15% of the final selling … if they pay through paypal you will be charged 15% of the final selling priceeg i sell something for 200 i have to give ebay £20

If you sell on eBay you pay 10% final fees.
If the buyer pays by paypal you pay something like 4.5% + 20p in fees onto of the eBay fees.

You pay the 10% eBay fees whether or not they pay through paypal or alternatives like cash on collection.
They've done it to probably ascertain your address in case they get scammed.
Once they have your address they want to pay via PayPal.
Paying by PayPal you don't get the sellers address.
Very wise, I'd do the same.
Banned
Dont think its a scam until they money is definatly in your paypal account...
If it says payment received check your paypal before sending
Original Poster
Many thanks for the advice everyone. Think should go with the paypal option as advised, have sent a new invoice. Lets see what happens.
Banned
Lots of info here
Some good and some bad and misleading

Paypal are not authorised by normal banking rules and regulations so when using them always be careful.That said they are the safest way and the best way to pay and be payed online.

Fees are

Ebay-10% of the final sale price (not including postage)
So if it sells for £400 and £7.75 postage Ebay will charge £40 but I think they have a cut off in certain catagories

Paypal-3.4% + 0.20p

When sending it make sure you send it via a trackable method as if you send it standard post and they get it
They can still moan and say they aint and you have no proof to suggest otherwise

Royal Mail offer something like £30 for normal lost packets
Recorded is slightly more but you have the bonus of having the tracking
Special is the best and is adequately covered with insurance

Buyer can do a chargeback so be wary of that
I have also noticed Paypal can freeze funds due to suspicious activity on the Payees side so if I was you make sure you send it and have proof they have it incase something goes wrong......

Take in depth pics of the item and record IMEI

Some people think its fun to get it and say its barred and then you are lumbered as you have to prove otherwise

Others tamper with it and then say its faulty as they wanted a part from it so if you can get pics to prove the IMEI and working status you should be OK

9 times out of 10 it all goes ahead with no hitches
BUT sometimes things can go sour
kaz187

Lots of info hereSome good and some bad and misleadingPaypal are not … Lots of info hereSome good and some bad and misleadingPaypal are not authorised by normal banking rules and regulations so when using them always be careful.That said they are the safest way and the best way to pay and be payed online.Fees areEbay-10% of the final sale price (not including postage)So if it sells for £400 and £7.75 postage Ebay will charge £40 but I think they have a cut off in certain catagoriesPaypal-3.4% + 0.20pWhen sending it make sure you send it via a trackable method as if you send it standard post and they get itThey can still moan and say they aint and you have no proof to suggest otherwiseRoyal Mail offer something like £30 for normal lost packetsRecorded is slightly more but you have the bonus of having the tracking Special is the best and is adequately covered with insuranceBuyer can do a chargeback so be wary of thatI have also noticed Paypal can freeze funds due to suspicious activity on the Payees side so if I was you make sure you send it and have proof they have it incase something goes wrong......Take in depth pics of the item and record IMEISome people think its fun to get it and say its barred and then you are lumbered as you have to prove otherwiseOthers tamper with it and then say its faulty as they wanted a part from it so if you can get pics to prove the IMEI and working status you should be OK9 times out of 10 it all goes ahead with no hitchesBUT sometimes things can go sour

Standard Royal Mail Post and Recorded Royal Mail Post both offer £46 insurance (100x the cost of a 1st class stamp).
Special Delivery offers £500 insurance (and can be increased).
The difference between standard and recorded post is that a recorded requires a signature on delivery, and I agree, this is absolutely essential when selling on eBay. Recorded does not offer any tracking during its journey, just proof of delivery signature.
Special delivery offers full tracking and a signature as well as the increased insurance.
Banned
Its gone up then
Always though standard post was in the thirties
And recorded was in the forties but low forties
Used to have a account with my other half but we have split so I am going alone
Currently on 1 feedback
100% of course

Ebay is a weird place at the best of times
& Paypal???Dont get me started ;-)
Standard delivery and recorded delivery have never canged.
Both offer compensation of x100 first class stamp cost.
Original Poster
kaz187

Lots of info hereSome good and some bad and misleadingPaypal are not … Lots of info hereSome good and some bad and misleadingPaypal are not authorised by normal banking rules and regulations so when using them always be careful.That said they are the safest way and the best way to pay and be payed online.Fees areEbay-10% of the final sale price (not including postage)So if it sells for £400 and £7.75 postage Ebay will charge £40 but I think they have a cut off in certain catagoriesPaypal-3.4% + 0.20pWhen sending it make sure you send it via a trackable method as if you send it standard post and they get itThey can still moan and say they aint and you have no proof to suggest otherwiseRoyal Mail offer something like £30 for normal lost packetsRecorded is slightly more but you have the bonus of having the tracking Special is the best and is adequately covered with insuranceBuyer can do a chargeback so be wary of thatI have also noticed Paypal can freeze funds due to suspicious activity on the Payees side so if I was you make sure you send it and have proof they have it incase something goes wrong......Take in depth pics of the item and record IMEISome people think its fun to get it and say its barred and then you are lumbered as you have to prove otherwiseOthers tamper with it and then say its faulty as they wanted a part from it so if you can get pics to prove the IMEI and working status you should be OK9 times out of 10 it all goes ahead with no hitchesBUT sometimes things can go sour

brilliant

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants