Sending camera back with Battery. DPD X-Rayed and refused to process the package, how to avoid?

Posted 2nd Oct
3303738.jpgI was disputing eGlobalCentral over damaged and refurbished product I've received in battered box without manuals etc. Paypal required me to send the item back to HongKong, got the address.
Purchased label on Parcel2Go with International DPD expedited service.
Packed exactly the same way like it was when received it, extra padding, double walled box, battery depleted to absolute zero %.
- DPD X-Rayed the parcel, refused from further processing.
Parcel is now in Parcel2Go's HQ and will be shipped back to me.

Question: How I can fairly and securely send the item back to eGlobalCentral the way it's expected by the seller and PayPal. Because if eGlobalCentral will report that they have incomplete set - PayPal will eventually cut the part of the refund.

Called DPD, no matter whether you have sticker, special marking etc on the box, if X-Ray will detect battery inside the box - parcel will be excluded from further processing within DPD network.
Only certain businesses are allowed to send the item overseas with batteries in packagimg, individuals are not.

How I can avoid all this, does anyone have any experience in such situations?
PayPal made it clear, if I won't be able to return the product, I won't get the refund.

Special Pouches for batteries etc are also out of the question. DPD will detect the battery nevertheless making same call as they did before.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
I can’t imagine they x-ray every single package they send over seas?

Perhaps you’ve just been unlucky or you’ve been singled out due to following rules and sticking one of those battery stickers on the box?

Only thing I could suggest is using a different courier or sending the camera back without the battery and see what happens. If the item is no use to you as is, what harm would it do. Also, as far as PayPal are concerned all they want is a tracking number that shows the package as delivered.
Parcelforce international carry "Lithium ion/polymer batteries contained in equipment (e.g. rechargeable batteries found in electrical items" says pg3 of PF pdf:
parcelforce.com/sit…pdf
A damaged item should be returned to EGC via a UK (forwarding) address. Maybe EGC does not agree with your description of the condition of the item, or maybe PP does not accept the UK address as a return address, even though EGC provide the return address:
eglobalcentraluk.com/ret…tml
I had a similar problem with amazon with a faulty Ryobi 18v lithium battery. Their terms said they couldn't accept faulty lithium batteries but still produced a return label. I questioned it in chat and they just refunded me and was told to take the faulty battery to a suitable recycling centre.
Probably doesn't help you but that's the risk of buying from eGlobal. Don't they have a UK shipping forwarder?
AndyRoyd02/10/2019 21:29

A damaged item should be returned to EGC via a UK (forwarding) address. …A damaged item should be returned to EGC via a UK (forwarding) address. Maybe EGC does not agree with your description of the condition of the item, or maybe PP does not accept the UK address as a return address, even though EGC provide the return address:https://www.eglobalcentraluk.com/return-your-goods-to-uk-now-en.html

I have to send this back to the very specific address that matches the address provided by PayPal I can't change it from now on. Even though we all know they are using forwarding address in UK. That's the way it is.
CC: @HerefordCiderApples

@freakstyler I can’t imagine they x-ray every single package they send over seas?Perhaps you’ve just been unlucky or you’ve been singled out due to following rules and sticking one of those battery stickers on the box? Only thing I could suggest is using a different courier or sending the camera back without the battery and see what happens. If the item is no use to you as is, what harm would it do. Also, as far as PayPal are concerned all they want is a tracking number that shows the package as delivered.

I have also added the full tracking, so you can see it yourself.
Edited by: "Tired.Ben.Affleck" 2nd Oct
AndyRoyd02/10/2019 21:25

Parcelforce international carry "Lithium ion/polymer batteries contained …Parcelforce international carry "Lithium ion/polymer batteries contained in equipment (e.g. rechargeable batteries found in electrical items" says pg3 of PF pdf:https://www.parcelforce.com/sites/default/files/Parcelforce_contract_prohibitions_restrictions_0.pdf

that's the battery, what do you think? Parcel Force T&C regarding batteries sounds very confusing to me.
amazon.co.uk/Son…Y14
"how to avoid?"
Take the battery and completely covered it in aluminum foil. Find an old motherboard and cut from that PCB two rectangles which contain several components; for example 15 cm x 10 cm. It has to be larger than the battery. Place the battery in the sandwich created by the two PCBs. Declare the contents as Camera + Dock Station.
Note: Make sure that the PCB terminals in the sandwich will not pierce the battery.
Tired.Ben.Affleck02/10/2019 21:52

that's the battery, what do you think? Parcel Force T&C regarding …that's the battery, what do you think? Parcel Force T&C regarding batteries sounds very confusing to me.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NP-FW50-C1-NPFW50-Battery/dp/B003NJVY14

Yes or no: is the "Lithium ion/polymer batteries contained in equipment"?
If yes, PF will carry.
freakstyler02/10/2019 21:22

I can’t imagine they x-ray every single package they send over s …I can’t imagine they x-ray every single package they send over seas?Perhaps you’ve just been unlucky or you’ve been singled out due to following rules and sticking one of those battery stickers on the box? Only thing I could suggest is using a different courier or sending the camera back without the battery and see what happens. If the item is no use to you as is, what harm would it do. Also, as far as PayPal are concerned all they want is a tracking number that shows the package as delivered.

If it’s getting put on a plane it’s getting x-rayed and lots of mail ends up on planes even in the UK and why lots of companies won’t take batteries back
AndyRoyd02/10/2019 22:01

Yes or no: is the "Lithium ion/polymer batteries contained in …Yes or no: is the "Lithium ion/polymer batteries contained in equipment"?If yes, PF will carry.

is it important to put this sticker on as well?
38594825-rXbuL.jpg
freakstyler02/10/2019 21:22

I can’t imagine they x-ray every single package they send over s …I can’t imagine they x-ray every single package they send over seas?Perhaps you’ve just been unlucky or you’ve been singled out due to following rules and sticking one of those battery stickers on the box? Only thing I could suggest is using a different courier or sending the camera back without the battery and see what happens. If the item is no use to you as is, what harm would it do. Also, as far as PayPal are concerned all they want is a tracking number that shows the package as delivered.

They're legally obliged to x-ray every package carried by plane. There's no random sampling - it all has to get checked. Who knows if the parcel they don't check is the one which contains an explosive designed to take down a plane?
Hi I have had a similar issue when I received a faulty battery from China. I had to return it and no courier would accept it. So i sent PayPal a picture of the couriers refusal to ship and PayPal closed the case in my favour and refunded me and let me keep the battery.
Edited by: "Apple.user" 2nd Oct
Tired.Ben.Affleck02/10/2019 22:15

is it important to put this sticker on as well?[Image]

See pg4 of prev referenced PDF. "Lithium ion/polymer batteries contained in equipment... The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging". No mention of label requirement, unlike the next section that states a condition where a label is required (but presumably not applicable to your circumstance).
We use DPD as a courier at work but I also know it's true with Royal Mail. As others have said, every parcel going on a plane will or should be scanned beforehand. Aren't lithium batteries also notorious for catching fire? I can understand why couriers don't want to touch them however I always thought most would if they're inside a device but maybe not then.
Apple.user02/10/2019 22:34

Hi I have had a similar issue when I received a faulty battery from China. …Hi I have had a similar issue when I received a faulty battery from China. I had to return it and no courier would accept it. So i sent PayPal a picture of the couriers refusal to ship and PayPal closed the case in my favour and refunded me and let me keep the battery.

well that would work if the costs of the item would be in "reasonable" levels but we are talking about a significant amount.
PayPal wouldn't do that in my case for sure.
But to be frank with you I was actually surprised to hear from them that they won't refund me If I won't be able to send this back, like they want me to feel responsible for all this, and I didn't liked the tone of that message in the slightest.
Edited by: "Tired.Ben.Affleck" 2nd Oct
Just send it with Royal Mail then it will get threw fine
Tired.Ben.Affleck02/10/2019 21:48

...I have also added the full tracking, so you can see it yourself.

Your tracking screenshot suggests your parcel is not in UK. Everything after "Hub 3 - Bham" suggests somebody else's parcel is still in UK. Have you explicitly asked DPD if the final "Hub 3 - Bham" entry is correct and applicable to your specific parcel and not confused with another parcel, because nothing after that entry can apply to "your parcel has left the United Kingdom" based on the indicated date&timestamps.
AndyRoyd02/10/2019 23:05

Your tracking screenshot suggests your parcel is not in UK. Everything …Your tracking screenshot suggests your parcel is not in UK. Everything after "Hub 3 - Bham" suggests somebody else's parcel is still in UK. Have you explicitly asked DPD if the final "Hub 3 - Bham" entry is correct and applicable to your specific parcel and not confused with another parcel, because nothing after that entry can apply to "your parcel has left the United Kingdom" based on the indicated date&timestamps.

yes. it was relabelled and delivered today to Parcel2Go, they will forward the parcel to my address asap.
looks vague to me as well but it's the way it is.
Tired.Ben.Affleck03/10/2019 00:45

yes. it was relabelled and delivered today to Parcel2Go, they will forward …yes. it was relabelled and delivered today to Parcel2Go, they will forward the parcel to my address asap.looks vague to me as well but it's the way it is.

It is not vague; it is very specific. The tracking states it was scanned and after 3 hrs consideration of the scan it was ok for "your parcel has left the United Kingdom and is on its way to Hong Kong". At that point DPD in UK will have passed it to a partner organisation, maybe its Euro arm?
Maybe it limped across the channel on the way to HK and the Euro partner organisation doesn't like batteries so it was knocked back to UK within 6 hrs of leaving?
AndyRoyd03/10/2019 01:06

It is not vague; it is very specific. The tracking states it was scanned …It is not vague; it is very specific. The tracking states it was scanned and after 3 hrs consideration of the scan it was ok for "your parcel has left the United Kingdom and is on its way to Hong Kong". At that point DPD in UK will have passed it to a partner organisation, maybe its Euro arm?Maybe it limped across the channel on the way to HK and the Euro partner organisation doesn't like batteries so it was knocked back to UK within 6 hrs of leaving?

could be. sounds reasonable. I don't have any knowledge on that matter so I'm just expressing myself and providing details from courier company for better understanding the issue.
Edited by: "Tired.Ben.Affleck" 3rd Oct
AndyRoyd03/10/2019 01:06

It is not vague; it is very specific. The tracking states it was scanned …It is not vague; it is very specific. The tracking states it was scanned and after 3 hrs consideration of the scan it was ok for "your parcel has left the United Kingdom and is on its way to Hong Kong". At that point DPD in UK will have passed it to a partner organisation, maybe its Euro arm?Maybe it limped across the channel on the way to HK and the Euro partner organisation doesn't like batteries so it was knocked back to UK within 6 hrs of leaving?

I can update you since I've received the parcel just minutes ago, the company that refused to process the parcel further was not a DPD but their logistics partner LINEX, parcel was opened for inspection because it's taped all around with their own packing tape.
If they have a uk return address as well can you send the main item back to china and the battery back via uk address?
mas9903/10/2019 12:38

If they have a uk return address as well can you send the main item back …If they have a uk return address as well can you send the main item back to china and the battery back via uk address?

no, everything needs to match the address provided by paypal no exceptions, if there is any difference they will close the case and refuse to refund, it's binary system 0, 1, 0, 1 without existance of any grey area where you can try different approaches.
Tired.Ben.Affleck03/10/2019 00:45

yes. it was relabelled and delivered today to Parcel2Go...

Parcelforce is cheaper via ParcelMonkey which is cheaper than Interparcel which is cheaper than Parcel2Go. The insurance cost may be the deciding factor for the actual broker used.
AndyRoyd03/10/2019 13:10

Parcelforce is cheaper via ParcelMonkey which is cheaper than Interparcel …Parcelforce is cheaper via ParcelMonkey which is cheaper than Interparcel which is cheaper than Parcel2Go. The insurance cost may be the deciding factor for the actual broker used.

Fedex also can take (just go the confirmation) this parcel and it's cheaper than Parcelforce using Interparcel but requires tons of paper work to be done.
This is why I am against all these electronic deals from Chinese sellers. I was once in a similar situation a year ago. I ended up accepting my loss as I couldn’t find a courier to accept it. Mine was a mobile phone.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants