Expired

Sending sealed phone via Royal Mail (battery prohibition)

Found 16th Dec 2013
Sending sealed phone via Royal Mail (battery prohibition)

Ive been to the post office and they say the battery has to be in the phone and not separate . so technically you cant send a new phone as the battery will be in the box but not in the phone.

any advice
Community Updates
8 Comments
No, the battery will be made and packaged to comply with an international shipping standard. I don't think you have to lose any sleep over this. It's fine.
I've shipped phones before.. When broken or old and have sold to places.. Never had an issue with anyone asking about the battery or anything like that! You should be fine.
dont tell them you have a battery in the phone. just the phone. its red tape so avoid.
If you tell the Post Office Assistant that the battery is not connected to the device then they will refuse to accept it - new guidelines were recently introduced by RM. You run the risk that if the package is scanned and the battery is not connected to the device then the package will be destroyed and you won't be eligible for any compensation.

Other delivery companies still accept packages where the battery is not connected.

I am a Business Seller of Mobile Phones and Tablets and always use RMSD but have had to ensure all the batteries are connected.

If I am selling Brand new and sealed items then I have to use a Courier Company who accept such packages.
Businesses can send new items in original packaging where the battery is outside of the device, however there are limits on how many devices and batteries can be in the same package. Individual customers have to have the batteries inside the device, which has to be sent tracked. Only 2 devices with batteries can be in the same package. When you send it the PO staff should scan a barcode to identify that there are Lithium Ion batteries in the package. It's unlikely, especially given the time of year, but if an x-ray machine or PO scanner identifies that there's a lithium ion battery in your package that hasn't been identified they are within their rights to destroy the package with no recompense to yourself. Best not to take the risk if it's of any value...

EDIT: As Stuart said
Edited by: "IndianaBlues" 16th Dec 2013
stuart9787

If you tell the Post Office Assistant that the battery is not connected … If you tell the Post Office Assistant that the battery is not connected to the device then they will refuse to accept it - new guidelines were recently introduced by RM. You run the risk that if the package is scanned and the battery is not connected to the device then the package will be destroyed and you won't be eligible for any compensation.Other delivery companies still accept packages where the battery is not connected. I am a Business Seller of Mobile Phones and Tablets and always use RMSD but have had to ensure all the batteries are connected.If I am selling Brand new and sealed items then I have to use a Courier Company who accept such packages.

Which delivery company would you recommend?
Kind of ironic really because they accept phones returned under warranty in the phone company pre-paid envelopes
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants