Senior dog dry food help

Posted 9th Apr
I have just changed my 10 year old labradoodles food. She has always had dried food but decided she needed to change to senior dried food.
I bought her James wellbeloved. Fish and vegetables. She likes the food but I find she keeps choking on it. The pieces are just over 1 cm which is a lot bigger than her old food. She just swallows it whole.
I always use a dish designed to slow down greedy eaters and feed her at head height so that she isn’t bent.
I wondered if anyone could recommend a better senior dog food that was smaller pieces. She can’t have chicken but loves fish etc. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Have you a food call canine choice.
dorey6909/04/2020 10:05

It’s called canine choice. I use the feline choice for my 12 year old cat. All natural ingredients and have mature food as well, might be worth a google
dorey6909/04/2020 10:07

It’s called canine choice. I use the feline choice for my 12 year old cat. …It’s called canine choice. I use the feline choice for my 12 year old cat. All natural ingredients and have mature food as well, might be worth a google

Thanks. I have never heard of that one. Will have a google. Do u know if it’s smaller size pieces?
we used to pour some water into the bowl to soften the kibble. that helps.
mutley109/04/2020 10:10

we used to pour some water into the bowl to soften the kibble. that helps.

Thanks. I will give that a try. Not sure what her reaction will be. One way to find out lol
Pilsbury1209/04/2020 10:12

Thanks. I will give that a try. Not sure what her reaction will be. One …Thanks. I will give that a try. Not sure what her reaction will be. One way to find out lol

hubby does a gourmet breakfast for the dog in the mornings, where he puts gravy over the kibble and mix them up. he loves it and keeps licking his bowl, the dog that is, not hubby
Pilsbury1209/04/2020 10:08

Thanks. I have never heard of that one. Will have a google. Do u know if …Thanks. I have never heard of that one. Will have a google. Do u know if it’s smaller size pieces?

Yes. The senior range has smaller kindles. My cat loves the feline range. No grains and mostly meat and vegetables etc. Recommend by vets. But not over priced
dorey6909/04/2020 10:33

Yes. The senior range has smaller kindles. My cat loves the feline range. …Yes. The senior range has smaller kindles. My cat loves the feline range. No grains and mostly meat and vegetables etc. Recommend by vets. But not over priced

Thank you. I will c if they do a sample so that I can try her with it. If not I can buy a small bag. It will certainly be better than what we have
mutley109/04/2020 10:14

hubby does a gourmet breakfast for the dog in the mornings, where he puts …hubby does a gourmet breakfast for the dog in the mornings, where he puts gravy over the kibble and mix them up. he loves it and keeps licking his bowl, the dog that is, not hubby

Please be careful if you're using normal human grade gravy as it contains a lot of salt which is not good for dogs.
Skinners do a senior food, our dog loves it and the kibble pieces are not too big. She has a lot of medical problems and has been on various expensive foods including prescription foods and yet the cheaper skinners food is what she does best on.
sparky6409/04/2020 15:05

Skinners do a senior food, our dog loves it and the kibble pieces are not …Skinners do a senior food, our dog loves it and the kibble pieces are not too big. She has a lot of medical problems and has been on various expensive foods including prescription foods and yet the cheaper skinners food is what she does best on.

That sounds promising. Could u possibly measure a piece of the kibble please.
dorey6909/04/2020 10:05

I was going to say the same thing. Royal Canine do diets on breads & ages.
Dyslexic_Dog09/04/2020 12:11

Please be careful if you're using normal human grade gravy as it contains …Please be careful if you're using normal human grade gravy as it contains a lot of salt which is not good for dogs.

we use reduced salt gravy and hubby only gives the dog a little of it that is left over from the previous evening's dinner. it's fine in small amount, mixed with water.
It’s an extra expense but you could add some/full pouch of the James well beloved wet food to the kibble.

My old boy loved that...
Skinners Senior food is oval shaped 1.5cm long and 0.6cm wide according to the kibble I just picked up.

Our dog is a Cocker Spanniel who is also a very greedy eater. She eats out of a bowl designed to slow her down, has never choked and thrives on the food. Hope this helps.
Vardre09/04/2020 16:21

Skinners Senior food is oval shaped 1.5cm long and 0.6cm wide according to …Skinners Senior food is oval shaped 1.5cm long and 0.6cm wide according to the kibble I just picked up.Our dog is a Cocker Spanniel who is also a very greedy eater. She eats out of a bowl designed to slow her down, has never choked and thrives on the food. Hope this helps.

Brilliant. Thanks for the info. That certainly sounds promising
Pilsbury1209/04/2020 15:34

That sounds promising. Could u possibly measure a piece of the kibble …That sounds promising. Could u possibly measure a piece of the kibble please.

They're just under 1.5cm but only in length, as the other poster said they're oval and a bit thinner so not a big round or square chunk.
Our dog absolutely wolfs her food even with the slow feeder bowl and does OK on these.
We usually get it from amazon on subscription as its cheaper than pets at home.
Edited by: "sparky64" 9th Apr
We get ours from

monsterpetsupplies.co.uk/dog…5kg

15kg = £30.39 or 2 x 15kg for £56.49 which qualifies for free delivery (free over £35)
I tried putting some water on the James wellbeloved kibble. It didn’t go well. She didn’t want to eat it. Definitely going to try the skinners senior. Will get a small bag to start with and mix it in with her other.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.
I feed my husky on Skinners, Good stuff and good value.
deleted2473787
Check this website out first before any potential food swap allaboutdogfood.co.uk
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions