Sent device to buyer via eBay, they requested a refund for 'different item sent'.

Found 17th Apr
Recently used the £1 FVF offer to sell a device on eBay. Sent to the buyer and it was accepted by them. A day later I receive a refund request with a photo of the package but with some nuts and bolts inside the box instead of the device.

I sent them a reply with my proof and told them to claim compensation via Royal Mail. I am afraid that eBay will take the money from me - what else can I do to avoid this? Buyer seems very fishy but has quite a lot of feedback on eBay, I do not want to raise a fraud case unless I really have to.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
They can't ask for compensation to RM as you are RM's customer, not them. You paid them so they wouldn't liaise with the addressee but only with the person who paid them for their services. Trust me on this.

It's your responsibility that of getting the item to the buyer. You choose to appoint an intermediary for the delivery so it's your responsibility still if they mess up.

The buyer will easily win the case. I'm sorry to say this but you can't prove you sent the item to the buyer so they will refund the buyer. I'm sure you sent the correct item but eBay won't care.

What you can do IMO is ask the buyer whether the parcel looked damaged or like it had been tampered with... get pictures if this is the case and contact RM for an investigation. Report everything as a theft as well and get a crime number to give eBay so that they fork out for the refund and not you. By that I mean, if you prove you are not at fault, they will take the hit and leave you the money.

The buyer might be lying of course but again... no way to prove it. Have you got maybe proof of the parcel's weight and proof of what the item should weigh so that you cat at least use that to confirm the contents were what they should be?

Oh and for an item worth over £100 you should have used special delivery as signed for delivery doesn't cover you up to that amount.

I read your comment after so excuse me if I asked things you then clarified.
Edited by: "hearts22" 17th Apr
15 Comments
Your buyer will get a refund, what's more if you don't supply a prepaid label, eBay will supply it and charge your reimbursement card/account on file.

In truth there is very little anyone can do to fight a SNAD (significantly not as described) case, especially one where the buyer seems to be using fraudulent means.

Out of interest, how much was the sale for?
Just a bit over £100. I sent it out using RM 2nd class signed for.

Buyer sent photos showing the package was clearly tampered with. I replied with my proof including serial numbers etc. I advised them to claim via RM compensation and they seem to have went through with it.

Is it common to hear of packages being sent by RM that get torn apart and stolen while in transit? Rarely post things so I have no idea. Never had to deal with such a case before.
They can't ask for compensation to RM as you are RM's customer, not them. You paid them so they wouldn't liaise with the addressee but only with the person who paid them for their services. Trust me on this.

It's your responsibility that of getting the item to the buyer. You choose to appoint an intermediary for the delivery so it's your responsibility still if they mess up.

The buyer will easily win the case. I'm sorry to say this but you can't prove you sent the item to the buyer so they will refund the buyer. I'm sure you sent the correct item but eBay won't care.

What you can do IMO is ask the buyer whether the parcel looked damaged or like it had been tampered with... get pictures if this is the case and contact RM for an investigation. Report everything as a theft as well and get a crime number to give eBay so that they fork out for the refund and not you. By that I mean, if you prove you are not at fault, they will take the hit and leave you the money.

The buyer might be lying of course but again... no way to prove it. Have you got maybe proof of the parcel's weight and proof of what the item should weigh so that you cat at least use that to confirm the contents were what they should be?

Oh and for an item worth over £100 you should have used special delivery as signed for delivery doesn't cover you up to that amount.

I read your comment after so excuse me if I asked things you then clarified.
Do you have proof of the weight of the package when sent?

If so, get them to weigh what they've received...
hellop4nda1 h, 37 m ago

Just a bit over £100. I sent it out using RM 2nd class signed for. Buyer …Just a bit over £100. I sent it out using RM 2nd class signed for. Buyer sent photos showing the package was clearly tampered with. I replied with my proof including serial numbers etc. I advised them to claim via RM compensation and they seem to have went through with it. Is it common to hear of packages being sent by RM that get torn apart and stolen while in transit? Rarely post things so I have no idea. Never had to deal with such a case before.

How does a photo show something had been tampered with?
it would be so much easier for the postie just to take a parcel instead of opening it and replacing it with nuts, bolts etc.. I think the buyer is pulling a fast one, but eBay is always on the buyers side.. normal recorded delivery is treated just the same as normal mail, it's special delivery that gets but aside and kept in a secure place until delivery. Hope you get it resolved, I am put off using eBay because of things like this
The only way to get a decent resolution is tell the guy you will visit him face to face with a couple of others. They may then change their mind...
malnuman7 h, 45 m ago

it would be so much easier for the postie just to take a parcel instead …it would be so much easier for the postie just to take a parcel instead of opening it and replacing it with nuts, bolts etc.. I think the buyer is pulling a fast one, but eBay is always on the buyers side.. normal recorded delivery is treated just the same as normal mail, it's special delivery that gets but aside and kept in a secure place until delivery. Hope you get it resolved, I am put off using eBay because of things like this

Actually not because if the parcel gets delivered then the person who receives it can also be suspected of just lying.
If nothing is received then it's obvious it was the postman.

If the postman wanted to steal it then replacing the contents would protect him more.
Not really, no-one knows in the delivery office how many parcels the postman takes out, there is no proof it was even at the delivery sorting office, you just say you havnt received a parcel for that address, Special delivery is really the safest way with royal mail
malnuman16 m ago

Not really, no-one knows in the delivery office how many parcels the …Not really, no-one knows in the delivery office how many parcels the postman takes out, there is no proof it was even at the delivery sorting office, you just say you havnt received a parcel for that address, Special delivery is really the safest way with royal mail

He should have used Special Delivery. Royal Mail won't even compensate for the full value since he used Signed for Delivery, which covers you only up to £50.
Don't they refund the value in stamps? That's what I got when a parcel I sent got damaged.
richje1002 m ago

Don't they refund the value in stamps? That's what I got when a parcel I …Don't they refund the value in stamps? That's what I got when a parcel I sent got damaged.

I got a cheque sent via post. It depends.
hearts2222 m ago

I got a cheque sent via post. It depends.

On what? I was told cash only if special delivery. I sent mine recorded delivery
richje1003 m ago

On what? I was told cash only if special delivery. I sent mine recorded …On what? I was told cash only if special delivery. I sent mine recorded delivery

I don't know but in my case it was standard second class delivery... I guess on who reviews the claim maybe... It was a lost parcel not damaged.
Looks like this is clear cut then, will have to refund and open a case myself with RM/Action Fraud to 'welcome' eBay to refund me as a courtesy.

I had the weight but I posted this off at a 24 hour Royal Mail centre - had to request for proof of posting and I believe the receipt did not state weight of package.

I packed the shipment myself so on one side there was a tear that cannot be human-made, most likely was torn by a machine or a drop. It was repacked in a clear plastic bag, but as many have said that could be the act of the buyer themselves.

Indeed I will only get a partial £50 refund, but really did not see this happening, have never really sold over eBay before & was unaware prior to this.
Edited by: "hellop4nda" 18th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants