seprate broadband and line rental

Is it possible/realistic to have one company ( e.g. BT) to provide line rental and a separate company to provide broadband. Or do companies offering broadband require you to take their line rental ?

Thanks

20 Comments

I had Talktalk Broadband and BT line rental for years but am now Bt for both.

yes its possible as long as they are both BT Wholesale service providers

yes, but usually more expensive as line rental usually offers broadband at reduced prices

i have virgin broadband .think its called virgin 50 or something its £18 per month
and also internet phone from a company called voyage at £7 per month all inclusive
no issues with both

shubyz

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Is it possible/realistic to have one company ( … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Is it possible/realistic to have one company ( e.g. BT) to provide line rental and a separate company to provide broadband. Or do companies offering broadband require you to take their line rental ?Thanks\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

Is there a specific reason for your Q or just wondering (as I am now)?

Original Poster

it's for my grandparents as they can get a line rental at 5.50 or so a month from BT as they're pensioners. Which is cheap. But BT only offer a capped broadband amount so was thinking of finding somewhere else for unlimited broadband and sticking with BT for line rental.

shubyz

it's for my grandparents as they can get a line rental at 5.50 or so a … it's for my grandparents as they can get a line rental at 5.50 or so a month from BT as they're pensioners. Which is cheap. But BT only offer a capped broadband amount so was thinking of finding somewhere else for unlimited broadband and sticking with BT for line rental.

my parents (pensioners ) were on a bt capped deal went over limit one month and negotiated for a unlimited deal that was cheaper the existing capped deal they were on (fibre broadband )

Original Poster

mattmerch

my parents (pensioners ) were on a bt capped deal went over limit one … my parents (pensioners ) were on a bt capped deal went over limit one month and negotiated for a unlimited deal that was cheaper the existing capped deal they were on (fibre broadband )

Oh kk that sounds good. Might just do that then. They'll use it mainly for video calling which uses quite abit of data. Plus with grandchildren over often it would run out quick.

Thanks for the advice!

shubyz

it's for my grandparents as they can get a line rental at 5.50 or so a … it's for my grandparents as they can get a line rental at 5.50 or so a month from BT as they're pensioners. Which is cheap. But BT only offer a capped broadband amount so was thinking of finding somewhere else for unlimited broadband and sticking with BT for line rental.

Plusnet will offer BB only at £13.49/m soon rising to £14.49/m, plus £35 setup fee.

mattmerch

my parents (pensioners ) were on a bt capped deal went over limit one … my parents (pensioners ) were on a bt capped deal went over limit one month and negotiated for a unlimited deal that was cheaper the existing capped deal they were on (fibre broadband )

The current Sky deal of phone + unlim broadband at £9.50/m for 12m (£9.95 setup fee) is near impossible to beat for a simple offer with no requirement to mess with claims or cashback promotioncode.sky.com/cam…647

shubyz

The 12GB cap isn't enforced with BT Basic.

Original Poster

PKRichie

What do you mean mate? They don't have it or they don't care if you go above 12gb ?

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

The current Sky deal of phone + unlim broadband at £9.50/m for 12m (£9.95 … The current Sky deal of phone + unlim broadband at £9.50/m for 12m (£9.95 setup fee) is near impossible to beat for a simple offer with no requirement to mess with claims or cashback https://promotioncode.sky.com/campaigns/msesab4647

I agree best offer so far. But as far as I know it's for new customers only. They have Sky tv and I don't think they can get it. I'm in same situation otherwise that deal is excellent

shubyz

What do you mean mate? They don't have it or they don't care if you go … What do you mean mate? They don't have it or they don't care if you go above 12gb ?

They won't charge you for exceeding the 12GB allowance, only BT Basic customers
Standard broadband users with a 12GB allowance will be charged, It's £1.80 per extra GB over.

The only downside to have one provider do line and another do broadband is support when something goes wrong, If your broadband has a fault you ring the broadband company, only to then be told it's the line at fault, so you ring the line provider who tell you as you can make/receive calls, there is no fault.
Round and round you go, trust me I've been there.

shubyz

I agree best offer so far. But as far as I know it's for new customers … I agree best offer so far. But as far as I know it's for new customers only. They have Sky tv and I don't think they can get it. I'm in same situation otherwise that deal is excellent

Don't ask me to find the exact ref cos there's been multiple similar deals from Sky over last few years, but reasonably sure a HUKD member had posted that they were a Sky TV customer and managed to negotiate a credit to be applied to their account equivalent to making the first annual cost of phone+BB near-identical to the current Sky phone&BB deal at that time. I think the negative was a requirement to commit to continue to take the TV services at the prevailing cost for the 12m period of the phone&BB. Might be worth a call to see if Sky want the business.

PKRichie

WRONG

Edited by: "mattmerch" 17th May

mattmerch

WRONG

No I'm not, show me how I'm wrong.

shubyz

What do you mean mate? They don't have it or they don't care if you go … What do you mean mate? They don't have it or they don't care if you go above 12gb ?

PKRichie

They won't charge you for exceeding the 12GB allowance, only BT Basic … They won't charge you for exceeding the 12GB allowance, only BT Basic customersStandard broadband users with a 12GB allowance will be charged, It's £1.80 per extra GB over.

BT seem absolutely clear that there is a 12GB monthly inclusive limit on the product "BT Basic + Broadband" at btplc.com/Inc…htm If you could show confirmation that the limit is not enforced / not chargeable over 12GB for "BT Basic + Broadband" customers it would be helpful. Thanks.

AndyRoyd

BT seem absolutely clear that there is a 12GB monthly inclusive limit on … BT seem absolutely clear that there is a 12GB monthly inclusive limit on the product "BT Basic + Broadband" at http://btplc.com/Inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/BTBasicBroadband/index.htm If you could show confirmation that the limit is not enforced / not chargeable over 12GB for "BT Basic + Broadband" customers it would be helpful. Thanks.

Ring them and ask, just say you're concerned that the odd Microsoft update might push you over the 12GB every few months, see what they say.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy33
    2. Random messages from a Mod called CUZZY33
    3. Where has the Freebies section gone ?23
    4. I think I'm being scammed on Paypal?913

See more discussions