September Holiday query and pool water temperature?

Posted 28th AprEdited by:"ipswich78"
I’m looking to book a European summer holiday in September and ideally after a location where the pool temperatures will still be warm. I have a toddler, so really want them to be able to splash around without getting cold.

I’ve been looking at Greece and the surrounding Islands, has anybody who has been able to comment?

Just to clarify, I'm specifically asking about the swimming pool temperatures.

thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Mid September should be fine, other places like Tunisia/Morocco/Italy/Spain/Portugal will all be ok too.
cmdr_elito10 m ago

Mid September should be fine, other places like …Mid September should be fine, other places like Tunisia/Morocco/Italy/Spain/Portugal will all be ok too.

Ta, I’ve been to Spain in September / October before and the sea was fine but the pools were a bit chilly (latter part of September). Not keen on Tunisia at the moment... but thanks for the info.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 28th Apr
Costa del sol should still be gorgeous in september. I have been in october and it has been very hot during the day.
Further south you go towards the equator the warmer it is likely to be. Canary Islands warm all year.
Generally after the season finishes they turn the pool heating off to save money which is usually why it feels much colder. Sea temperature is warmer In September than in May/June so I think the heating is more to blame than time of year
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 28th Apr
Dannyrobbo28/04/2019 10:26

Generally after the season finishes they turn the pool heating off to save …Generally after the season finishes they turn the pool heating off to save money which is usually why it feels much colder. Sea temperature is warmer In September than in May/June so I think the heating is more to blame than time of year

What he said swimming pools are heated, no heating = cold water.
4Real201628/04/2019 13:28

What he said swimming pools are heated, no heating = cold water.

I didn't realise that! I thought it was the sun that warmed them up. I've been in that part of the world around July / August time before in some pools which definitely weren't heated and they were surprisingly warm. Pools were probably a lot smaller though.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 28th Apr
I went to the algarve the last week of Sept last year. Pools were great (most were not deep as 5 out of 9 were for kids) bonus was the tui kids club.
ipswich7828/04/2019 14:05

I didn't realise that! I thought it was the sun that warmed them up. I've …I didn't realise that! I thought it was the sun that warmed them up. I've been in that part of the world around July / August time before in some pools which definitely weren't heated and they were surprisingly warm. Pools were probably a lot smaller though.

I guess it depends on the size and a number of other factors, night temperature, continuous days of sun, bla bla bla, I would be stupid to say warm weather didn't effect water temperature of a pool, I'm not an expert

Don't most places provide info on whether pools are heated or not
ipswich781 h, 12 m ago

I didn't realise that! I thought it was the sun that warmed them up. I've …I didn't realise that! I thought it was the sun that warmed them up. I've been in that part of the world around July / August time before in some pools which definitely weren't heated and they were surprisingly warm. Pools were probably a lot smaller though.

Literally I have been on holiday a week either side, week one was end of Aug part way throughweek 2 kids back to school September time quiet pool But it was clearly not heated anymore.
We have been to Rhodes at the end of September and it was 35° so pool temp was fine. I always find my children do feel cold when they get out of the pool so they both have a towelling dress which seems to help. Most pools won't be heated though at that time of year I would have thought, it tends to be the indoor pools during the winter.
4Real201611 h, 36 m ago

I guess it depends on the size and a number of other factors, night …I guess it depends on the size and a number of other factors, night temperature, continuous days of sun, bla bla bla, I would be stupid to say warm weather didn't effect water temperature of a pool, I'm not an expert Don't most places provide info on whether pools are heated or not

Air Temperature most definitely affects the pool temperature. I am in a villa in Crete and the pool was 16c when I arrived Tuesday and felt very cold. Yesterday it was a lovely 22c in the unheated pool (10m x 6m).

Last 4 days has been 26-28c air temperature and blue skies every day.

Op, we go most years to Costa del sol or crete in September and pool temperatures are great, even unheated ones.
Edited by: "chocci" 29th Apr
Warmer pools have a bigger chance of having more bacteria in them causing stomach bugs d and v than colder pools. Speaking from experience
I imagine it's more to do with the quality of the hotel than the time of year. Small budget hotelsl = unheated, cold all year. Large hotel chains = heated outdoors in the summer, indoors in winter. Pools are even heated in Florida and it's a lot hotter than Europe.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions