Groups

Serial to USB

I was just wondering if i use a serial cable to a usb adapter will it work as a com port. i am thinking of using the c300 unlock software it says avoid using a usb cable if at all possible as they tend to be unreliable for this type of operation, but i don't have a com port, i can only see com ports on the software.

9 Comments

Banned

serial to usb works fine. I have the keyspan one for networking.

I use a USB to Serial adapter for connecting via the console port on all our network equipment no problem, your PC/Laptop should just detect it and create a COM port for it in the device manager.

Yes, they work as COM ports.

I use one on my laptop for consoling onto Cisco devices.

lol

line con 0
    password ########

Banned

It's the Cisco Disco in here!

Alfonse

lol line con 0password ########

Hope you have service password encryption enabled!

Then at least it'll take you as long as it takes for you to type "Cisco Type 7 Password Cracker" into Google before you can decrypt it!

adambaz

Hope you have service password encryption enabled!Then at least it'll … Hope you have service password encryption enabled!Then at least it'll take you as long as it takes for you to type "Cisco Type 7 Password Cracker" into Google before you can decrypt it!

lol, we also use vlan 1

Alfonse

lol, we also use vlan 1

That's the NHS for you

Original Poster

master_chief

serial to usb works fine. I have the keyspan one for networking.

Alfonse

I use a USB to Serial adapter for connecting via the console port on all … I use a USB to Serial adapter for connecting via the console port on all our network equipment no problem, your PC/Laptop should just detect it and create a COM port for it in the device manager.

adambaz

Yes, they work as COM ports.I use one on my laptop for consoling onto … Yes, they work as COM ports.I use one on my laptop for consoling onto Cisco devices.

Thanks guys i appreciate it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1841335
      2. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2425
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767171
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047080
      5. word association Game73844452

See more discussions