Serious lack of deals this year!

Found 29th Dec 2017
Ho ho no! The usual hype of after Christmas deals have severely gone down the drain (along with the left over sprouts) this year.

Is it me or does anybody else feel that there is a distinct lack of top deals knocking about after Christmas (especially online).

Just wanted to voice my grumble and maybe I’ll have to put on the winter warmers and head on out into the cold to find a good bargain instore, probably from my local charity shop from all the unwanted Xmas gifts there likely to receive....DVD anyone?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
One of the main reasons I like this site is it often alerts me to bargains, but when the flamedeer comp (I admit I like it) comes on peeps tend to confuse things by voting hot on everything in the mistaken hope of finding more deer.

We end up with all sorts of crap getting all sorts of heat for no other reason than peeps are clicking for flamedeer.

Also, some peeps post deals in the mistaken hope that they may get more deer by doing so - and most of the time they're not really deals at all.

I do like the flamedeer comp, but I think it does have the side effect of messing up our otherwise excellent system of finding hot uk deals.
21 Comments
32938895-3kGvE.jpg
One of the main reasons I like this site is it often alerts me to bargains, but when the flamedeer comp (I admit I like it) comes on peeps tend to confuse things by voting hot on everything in the mistaken hope of finding more deer.

We end up with all sorts of crap getting all sorts of heat for no other reason than peeps are clicking for flamedeer.

Also, some peeps post deals in the mistaken hope that they may get more deer by doing so - and most of the time they're not really deals at all.

I do like the flamedeer comp, but I think it does have the side effect of messing up our otherwise excellent system of finding hot uk deals.
Under a rock yesterday?
Op did write 'top' deals, at least that's what I replied to.
Yes, there's been a good amount of deals, but most of them can't possibly be described as 'top' deals.
Well I bought a Moto G5 Plus from ebay currys yesterday, £257 on amazon, £199 CPW.. paid £159 with ebays 20% code.
Not too shabby.
Don't you worry all the usual suspects will be awake soon and your favourite gearbest tat and cdkeys deals will be up for grabs once again
deleted1416210
We each judge things differently, but I think this year it has been a lot harder to find 'what I call' quality deals on the site.
They seem to get lost in what seems to me like a swarm of location specific deals and novelty deals.
The deals that often get the heat and the most exposure are those that one person found in a specific store, one that has a funny photo, or a scantily clad lady, or one that's simply for some Chinese tat, that noone would have dreamed of getting but because it's less than a quid and coming from China it must be a deal (skeptical).
I also think the site is very tech deal dominated, which I don't doubt is a very appealing draw to the site for many, and is possibly one of the strong points of the site, but I think it can leave those who don't play computer games or follow the tech trends a little left out. Maybe this is just because I like all the things noone else does.... Maybe I'm out of touch these days Anyway just my point of view.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the site, and I know I can 'do one' if I don't like it, I'm just saying for me I struggle to find deals that are relevant to me.
I think I have to disagree with you to be honest.

hotukdeals.com/com…151
Less than half price for the most amazing TV.

then the eBay deal yesterday was pretty epic.

some good items in deals in the sales.

I think the problem is that the site has attracted the facebook mumsnet unemployed types who think deals like this are worth posting.

hotukdeals.com/dea…826

The site is becoming littered with buy one get a can of beans free type deals that are just normal everyday discounts.

Cluttered with tat.
Shops have offered less deals this year. Our view of deals are also slightly distorted by the strong dollar which means stores can’t discount as much as they previously did as they need to make their margins and are carry less stock due to people buying less. There are a few seemingly good deals (to the untrained eye) on over priced items reduced to the correct price or genuine deals on stock clearance. Other than that it’s pretty rubbish season for sales and I’ll be keeping the cash in the bank this year.
Chiptivo1 h, 59 m ago

I think I have to disagree with you to be honest. …I think I have to disagree with you to be honest. https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/32939151Less than half price for the most amazing TV. then the eBay deal yesterday was pretty epic. some good items in deals in the sales. I think the problem is that the site has attracted the facebook mumsnet unemployed types who think deals like this are worth posting. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lager-cider-more-from-50p-a-can-10-morrisons-2866826The site is becoming littered with buy one get a can of beans free type deals that are just normal everyday discounts. Cluttered with tat.

That tv deal - fantastic.
Have to say I'm well jelly of your telly.

Yes, that was one brilliant deal - couldn't justify it myself, rarely watch telly and there's nothing wrong with the old Sony, but absolutely cracking deal.

That said, it's one great deal in amongst floods of crap deals - I still find it hard to believe anyone actually drinks Carling.
I agree only I've been looking in-store, it's terrible.
Someone posts a similar thread every holiday / sale period.

I've probably over spent this holiday deal wise.
I've not been very impressed.
tryn2help10 h, 55 m ago

One of the main reasons I like this site is it often alerts me to …One of the main reasons I like this site is it often alerts me to bargains, but when the flamedeer comp (I admit I like it) comes on peeps tend to confuse things by voting hot on everything in the mistaken hope of finding more deer.We end up with all sorts of crap getting all sorts of heat for no other reason than peeps are clicking for flamedeer.Also, some peeps post deals in the mistaken hope that they may get more deer by doing so - and most of the time they're not really deals at all.I do like the flamedeer comp, but I think it does have the side effect of messing up our otherwise excellent system of finding hot uk deals.

Agree but it also happen other times of the year (black Friday ?)
MSK.8 m ago

I've not been very impressed.

+!
maybe us mammals should try harder ?
Chiptivo9 h, 40 m ago

I think I have to disagree with you to be honest. …I think I have to disagree with you to be honest. https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/32939151Less than half price for the most amazing TV. then the eBay deal yesterday was pretty epic. some good items in deals in the sales. I think the problem is that the site has attracted the facebook mumsnet unemployed types who think deals like this are worth posting. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lager-cider-more-from-50p-a-can-10-morrisons-2866826The site is becoming littered with buy one get a can of beans free type deals that are just normal everyday discounts. Cluttered with tat.

I have to agree, I hate the general "milk 50p at Lidl was 65p" or similar 'deals'.
Wongy1105 m ago

Agree but it also happen other times of the year (black Friday ?)+!maybe …Agree but it also happen other times of the year (black Friday ?)+!maybe us mammals should try harder ?

At what?
MSK.1 m ago

At what?

Everything man/feline.
I have thought that overall the site has gone down in quality content over the last year or two.

But then I realised it was more to do with me pretty much already owning everything I needed
Edited by: "darkstryder360" 30th Dec 2017
Homebase done us proud this year!.
Site has definitely gone downhill over the past few years, community feel has completely gone. Which is a shame as the site relies on it's members to generate the income.
matt345456 m ago

Site has definitely gone downhill over the past few years, community feel …Site has definitely gone downhill over the past few years, community feel has completely gone. Which is a shame as the site relies on it's members to generate the income.

Completely agree with this. It's not a community forum any more, its just a big affiliate site where the content is provided by it's users. I know its always been that but go back a couple of years and the mods and admin would join in discussions and make it feel like a community. When was the last time Paul Nikkel posted, as an example.

I know I haven't been a member that long but did read for quite a few years before I joined up and its completely different now. The mods job seems to be post deals rather than do any moderation. Things are hid from members to make certain tasks harder, the spam button for example. But hey, having the same deal posted 20 times increases the chance of someone clicking and buying the item.

If you removed the chinese tat, the 'yellow stickered USB stick for 15p in one tesco where the OP bought all the stock', removed all the duplicate posts (which mods leave even when reported), all the deals posted when a voucher is kicking about (the deal is the voucher, no need to have a whole retailers site listed), the heads up type posts that aren't actually deals and would have been moved to misc in the past (ie, Kodi on the Xbox) type of deals, you would be left with the decent deals.

Don't think most people know where the cold button is now either, constantly see rubbish deals posted and going hot.

Rant over
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions