Serious question because I must be stupid

Posted 6th Aug 2020
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
MichyM06/08/2020 21:45

According to the Oxford English Dictionary "woke" is defined as: …According to the Oxford English Dictionary "woke" is defined as: "Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice."The Urban Dictionary, however, simply says: "Being woke means being aware… knowing what’s going on in the community (related to racism and social injustice)."

Being Woke is more a derogatory word nowadays, associated with Leftist opinions who believes their viewpoints, ideology and attitude is tantamount to being the correct, without understanding the consequences of their actions or recourse. Thus many believe they hold the moral high ground, campaigning for personal rights especially for minorities without realising the wider repercussions or causing offense.
mutley106/08/2020 21:41

Comment deleted

It would be nice if you were actually helpful like I am to your posts.
Woke: shorthand synonym for virtue signalling.
"Serious question because I must be stupid"

Don't be so hard on yourself,
we can do that.
38 Comments
Good question. I think it means that previously you were ignorant to something that you now see. Hope that clears it up for you
Edited by: "Jump_Out_Gang" 6th Aug
Being aware of and stating abreast with social, political or cultural issues that the mainstream media may not be reporting on
Edited by: "barg_ains" 6th Aug
barg_ains06/08/2020 21:24

Being aware of and stating abreast with social, political or cultural …Being aware of and stating abreast with social, political or cultural issues that the mainstream media may not be reporting on

Your original edit said nothing of breasts. Misogynistic
"Serious question because I must be stupid"

Don't be so hard on yourself,
we can do that.

Being aware of and stating abreast with social, political or cultural …Being aware of and stating abreast with social, political or cultural issues that the mainstream media may not be reporting on

Oh. Like Beirut. Everyone is talking about ammonium nitrate explosiosion but no one is reporting on the first explosion that set it off.

Does that make me "woke"
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 6th Aug
According to the Oxford English Dictionary "woke" is defined as: "Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice."

The Urban Dictionary, however, simply says: "Being woke means being aware… knowing what’s going on in the community (related to racism and social injustice)."
I much prefer to go back to sleep

When I think of woke I think of activism, pandering, labels and idealism.

Comment deleted

Woke: shorthand synonym for virtue signalling.
Willy_Wonka06/08/2020 21:52

i am helpful. that is my understanding of woke.

Comment deleted

Did you? How do you really know whether you woke up this morning or not. Or any morning for that matter
mutley106/08/2020 22:11

Oh course you are being helpful. How silly of me.
Willy_Wonka06/08/2020 22:15

Oh course you are being helpful. How silly of me.

i was only trying to help
Willy_Wonka06/08/2020 21:52

Just play their game.
Report their comment as unhelpful
MichyM06/08/2020 21:45

According to the Oxford English Dictionary "woke" is defined as: …According to the Oxford English Dictionary "woke" is defined as: "Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice."The Urban Dictionary, however, simply says: "Being woke means being aware… knowing what’s going on in the community (related to racism and social injustice)."

Being Woke is more a derogatory word nowadays, associated with Leftist opinions who believes their viewpoints, ideology and attitude is tantamount to being the correct, without understanding the consequences of their actions or recourse. Thus many believe they hold the moral high ground, campaigning for personal rights especially for minorities without realising the wider repercussions or causing offense.
nemesiz06/08/2020 22:18

Being Woke is more a derogatory word nowadays,

That is the impression I am getting. It is more of an insult of types than anything else.
Willy_Wonka06/08/2020 21:41

Oh. Like Beirut. Everyone is talking about ammonium nitrate explosiosion …Oh. Like Beirut. Everyone is talking about ammonium nitrate explosiosion but no one is reporting on the first explosion that set it off.Does that make me "woke"

Inginition was reported to be due to welding going on.
alex_jamez06/08/2020 22:33

Inginition was reported to be due to welding going on.

I have to disagree. There was a separate explosion one which the ignited the ammonium nitrate. Two separate events.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 6th Aug
What’s this now about The Matrix Trilogy being a transgender allegory? Was I the last to know?
Willy_Wonka06/08/2020 22:36

I have to disagree. There was a separate explosion one which the ignited …I have to disagree. There was a separate explosion one which the ignited the ammonium nitrate. Two separate events.

Yeah that sounds about right, I just read that somewhere
Jump_Out_Gang06/08/2020 22:37

What’s this now about The Matrix Trilogy being a transgender allegory? Was …What’s this now about The Matrix Trilogy being a transgender allegory? Was I the last to know?

I was reading that earlier also thinking "what?" Still none the wiser after reading the article.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 6th Aug
alex_jamez06/08/2020 22:39

Yeah that sounds about right, I just read that somewhere

Oh it is definitely right. That is why everyone was taking pictures/video.. They were filming the first explosion.
cecilmcroberts06/08/2020 22:40

I was reading that earlier also thinking "what?" Still none the wiser …I was reading that earlier also thinking "what?" Still none the wiser after reading the article.

To me The Matrix will always be a true story from the future
Jump_Out_Gang06/08/2020 22:54

Lol, the iconic mobile phone....or just Carrie-Anne Moss in those outfits
cecilmcroberts06/08/2020 22:57

Lol, the iconic mobile phone....or just Carrie-Anne Moss in those outfits …Lol, the iconic mobile phone....or just Carrie-Anne Moss in those outfits

Let the fox see the rabbit
Jump_Out_Gang06/08/2020 22:54

It is true but it was from the past.
mutley106/08/2020 22:11

This is my understanding of woke too !
Woke is basically being utterly hypocritical about any given issue as if the boot were on the other foot, it would be the start of protests or riots.
nemesiz06/08/2020 22:18

Being Woke is more a derogatory word nowadays, associated with Leftist …Being Woke is more a derogatory word nowadays, associated with Leftist opinions who believes their viewpoints, ideology and attitude is tantamount to being the correct, without understanding the consequences of their actions or recourse. Thus many believe they hold the moral high ground, campaigning for personal rights especially for minorities without realising the wider repercussions or causing offense.

Thank you, a clear definition.
Basically Labour voters.
.MUFC.07/08/2020 16:51

Basically Labour voters.

Most of them are never awake

Ps same for every other party

Like Nigel Farage recently with his citizen journalism? Who'd have thought he could be woke.
Post a comment
@
    Text