Expired

Server in loft, good or bad idea?

Found 25th Apr 2015
Thinking of moving the server and network switch to the loft when we move house. I have read a lot of people complained about loft condensation, which would be a major problem if that's the case. Does anyone have their server in the loft? If so, do you have any problems so far? And what did you do to resolve it?

My other concern is the trapped heat in the Summer.

** Added **
Anyone can provide any tips/suggestions how to run network cables behind walls please? If I am to run the cables down from the loft, I would like to run the behind the walls without any cable trunk.

Thanks in advance.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskServer
12 Comments
although not ideal I have had mine running in the loft for the past 5 years and its never skipped a beat
as long as you can access it and its not near anything flammable.. just need to beware the extra dust as well... loft is mainly used as central point to run cables.
I had a customer with a server in a loft, it ran for years without an issue, but did get very dusty, the loft was boarded out. this was in Wales.
mines in a unheated shed, gets very hot and very cold and is fine. I put mine there and backup all our computers to it, my theory is that if anything happens to the house, everything is backed up in the shed and vise versa, I say server, mine is just a PC.
Thank you all for your replies.

The loft is quite easily accessible using the loft ladder, so accessibility shouldn't be a problem. In fact, I have even thought of setting up my own PC with computer desks at the top if the server is OK. My intention is to run all the network cables from the loft into each room, but would be ideal with having the server there as well.

As safety precaution, I will try to use inflammable boards to board the loft up and install a fire alarm in case, plus a dehumidifier in case of condensation.

We have not moved into the house yet, so I will look into the loft and see if it's suitable (electrically wired, condensation, fire risks, etc) before I make the move to install it all there. The idea of using the shed is a good one, although it would mean I have to dig a trunk to provide electric into it and run the network cable along that, a bit more work I guess.

Anyone can provide any tips/suggestions how to run network cables behind walls please? If I am to run the cables down from the loft, I would like to run the behind the walls without any cable trunk.

You shouldn't get any major condensation problems in your loft. If you have it now then you have serious issues and I'd recommend paying out for vents, your loft should be able to breathe. Only issue I see is that in summer it get very hot in a loft.
Done it for years. No problem unless the heat can't escape make sure there's lots of air flow and it's fine
Re. cabling, have you considered using homeplugs instead of running your own cat5 or cat6? Not as impressive, but a lot less bother.

Temperatures in a shed are likely to be more extreme, unless you spend time and money to insulate it. Another thing to worry about is vermin: mice, spiders and insects in both locations, especially a shed. Mice can go for cables, and spiders/insects can and do nest inside computer equipment (I've seen pictures - google it). They like the heat.
jrdld

Re. cabling, have you considered using homeplugs instead of running your … Re. cabling, have you considered using homeplugs instead of running your own cat5 or cat6? Not as impressive, but a lot less bother.Temperatures in a shed are likely to be more extreme, unless you spend time and money to insulate it. Another thing to worry about is vermin: mice, spiders and insects in both locations, especially a shed. Mice can go for cables, and spiders/insects can and do nest inside computer equipment (I've seen pictures - google it). They like the heat.

Thanks for the reply.

I do quite a lot of large files transfer around the house, and consider we're just moving in, so may as well get the cables in.
Thank you all for the replies.
The easiest way to put cables in depends on your wall construction. If it's solid, then the only way to do it is to chase out a channel for the cable to run in.

If you've a newer property you might be able to get behind the plasterboard depending on how liberal they've been with the dab.
I've just cat 5e cabled our new house we've just bought... if it's possible to do it get it done and think to the future, it's better to have too many than too little! Once the floors and skirting are back down, on they'll prob never be touched again
carlospunk

I've just cat 5e cabled our new house we've just bought... if it's … I've just cat 5e cabled our new house we've just bought... if it's possible to do it get it done and think to the future, it's better to have too many than too little! Once the floors and skirting are back down, on they'll prob never be touched again

I think after 8 months he's probably already done it now or given up..........

How do people find these threads ????

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants