Groups

server or nas

not sure on this but looking for something i can run on the pcs to back up data andd stream data off it

ie my partner has drives that have constant data that he needs to back up and has lost it serveral times due to hard failure

So here is my pcs

2x windows 7 wired / wifi
    2x imac wifi / wired
    windows 7 laptop wifi
    windows xp netbook wifi
    ubuntu laptop wifi

have netgear router on sky with modded firmware and then its connected to the apple airport extreme.

printer is wifi

how would i network all these together to see or back up data to one place ???

4 Comments

If your current devices are used as working machines, then I would suggest a nas box with redundant drives set to a raid 1 configuration.

IMO the easiest solution would be to buy a nas and then either run back-up software on all the clients or just set them all to save directly to the NAS for their data (with raid setup for redundancy as mentioned above).

If you have time and money, you could get a server and put either a linux build on it or if you have the fininaces, Windows Home Server, which I'm told is an excellent solution...

I built a pc that runs Windows home server for about 110 pounds (excluding hard drives) which works really well.

Original Poster

i did look at the proliant one on here for 120 and what else would i need

how would it connect to the router
    Edited by: "jazferbetay" 1st Apr 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions