Groups

Service gone bust - any advice about our appliance Guarantee

Hi all
    I bought a washer dryer from Currys about 2yrs ago... the washing machine came with a manufacturer Parts and Labour 5yr cover. ( we used this many times the first year as our appliance had sooooooo many problems!)
    It flooded the kitchen this morning, called out plumber who found it was the washing machine. So i called the number on our machine to an automated message saying Service had done into liquidation - so rang Currys and they said basically our cover was void as no company bailed them out.
    Dont suppose if anyone knows any more on this?
    I dont really want to be buying a new machine but it looks like it if this one cant be repaired....

17 Comments

Dunno about Service but when washers leak it is often just a bottom hose,Not usually a big deal,

Was the machine/cover bought on a credit card???

Under the Sales of Goods Act you are entitled to a product that lasts a reasonable length of time.

Unfortunately the legally obligated warranty for retailers is only 1 year, but there have been cases where white appliances have died after 3/4/5/ years and people have gotten partial refund by properly complaining, don't ask me how mind.

Have you had a good look at where the leak is?

Original Poster

this is pouring out through the door, the seal has got huge split in it and the door is pushed out so when water pressure builds up it floods out! it was mental.. ive tried searching for parts for this model but no luck..

Original Poster

schizoboy;6243090

Was the machine/cover bought on a credit card???Under the Sales of Goods … Was the machine/cover bought on a credit card???Under the Sales of Goods Act you are entitled to a product that lasts a reasonable length of time.Unfortunately the legally obligated warranty for retailers is only 1 year, but there have been cases where white appliances have died after 3/4/5/ years and people have gotten partial refund by properly complaining, don't ask me how mind.Have you had a good look at where the leak is?

yeah my OH did buy it on Credit Card... maybe worth looking into as we are supposed to have a 5yr cover

Banned

if it is the seal on the door they are pretty cheap to replace if you get no where with currys/insurance

Find all the paperwork, contact your credit card company, say that under the sales of goods act purchased through their credit which falls under credit/consumer acts it is their obligation to ensure that you have a repaired or replaced equivalent washing machine especially as the 5 year cover was bought under their credit. Also ask whether you can just buy a new one and have that new one refunded back or get it repaired on the card and have repair cost refunded.

Washing Machine model + seal in google should give you hopefully new seal options

You can get door seals here
    espares.co.uk/sea…655

and they have fitting instructions
    espares.co.uk/adv…tml

Currys and Dixons have a habit of slightly changing the model numbers on their TVs (to prevent you comparing prices). They may do the same for their washing machines so try looking for a model no. that is similar......

Original Poster

gari189;6243208

You can get door seals here … You can get door seals here http://www.espares.co.uk/search/washing-machines/servis/p/1085/655 and they have fitting instructionshttp://www.espares.co.uk/advice/washing-machines/a/7/38/replacing-a-washing-machine-door-seal.htmlCurrys and Dixons have a habit of slightly changing the model numbers on their TVs (to prevent you comparing prices). They may do the same for their washing machines so try looking for a model no. that is similar......

Ive put in the model number m9503s and i think i found a seal! loll

Banned

i got mine off ebay, it was brand new and a genuine item at half the price, so have a quick flick through there 1st

pcnutta;6243273

Ive put in the model number m9503s and i think i found a seal! loll

Nice one, let us know how it goes, I wonder if you can bill the CC Company for the labour as well as the seal

Original Poster

Thought i would update you

I telephones Consumer Direct this morning.. they advised me that as it was purchased on a credit agreement, buy now pay later( which was then paid off via credit card) the credit company can be responsible for direct financial loss as a result of the appliance... so we was advised to go to Currys who then gave us the number of the credit company ( wasnt much help!!)
    We came home rang them and they said No Currys we claim through and THEY liase with the credit company not us direct with them. ( this is what consumer direct said also)
    So the currys manager sent us on a goose chase!!
    I have now emailed Currys head office putting all this in an email and await there response.

what make was the washer dryer?? as im looking to buy one soon, I'll make sure i stay away from this one!

Banned

i would dispute it with your credit card you paid in, currys will do wahtever they can and so will the credit company, send you to each other, go direct to your credit card, remember to keep copies of all comminications

Original Poster

Abz;6246225

what make was the washer dryer?? as im looking to buy one soon, I'll make … what make was the washer dryer?? as im looking to buy one soon, I'll make sure i stay away from this one!

service washer dryer - service has gone into liquidation

Original Poster

sassie;6246289

i would dispute it with your credit card you paid in, currys will do … i would dispute it with your credit card you paid in, currys will do wahtever they can and so will the credit company, send you to each other, go direct to your credit card, remember to keep copies of all comminications

too right ive written down all names etc who ive spoke too,
    Ive not had a reply from Currys yet, hubs is going to ring credit card company now.

Banned

pcnutta;6246321

too right ive written down all names etc who ive spoke too,Ive not had a … too right ive written down all names etc who ive spoke too,Ive not had a reply from Currys yet, hubs is going to ring credit card company now.

i purchased the scam tv from here, it never arrives and after peeing about with google checkout and getting nowhere i disputed it with credit card and it was put back on my cc, i know its not the same but they seem to be better than who you deal with from shops etc,etc

Abz;6246225

what make was the washer dryer?? as im looking to buy one soon, I'll make … what make was the washer dryer?? as im looking to buy one soon, I'll make sure i stay away from this one!

ertonline.co.uk/def…htm
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions