Service kit for passat tdi sport 1.9

Found 16th Jul
I recently bought passat tdi sport 1.9 and this is my first diesel car. I have no clue which car parts I need for full service and where best to get them.

I will go to a local mechanic and buy parts by myself.

Can someone recommend me please ?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Do you mean to service the car yourself or get a garage to do it?
Wadda11 m ago

Do you mean to service the car yourself or get a garage to do it?

myself
Generally the cheapest place to buy service parts online is carparts4less.co.uk

Just enter your reg number on the site and it will tell you what parts you need.

I generally purchase Bosch parts - may be a £ or two more expensive than the lowest price option but you are assured quality with Bosch. For a "major" service you need oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and fuel filter - for a minor service just the oil and oil filter. All easy to do yourself - many videos available on youtube showing how to do it.

I'd purchase the oil from ebay - you will need quantum platinum 5W40 - ebay.co.uk/itm…OIr

EDIT: carparts4less do a price reduction EVERY weekend - normally 15-17%, use code FINAL15 for 15% off- expires tonight. If miss it don' worry as there will be another discount next Friday!
Edited by: "Van1973" 16th Jul
Use this website to check the oil required for your passat - again just enter the reg. no. fuchs-tps.lubricantadvisor.com/def…eng

Quantum is VW's "own brand" of oil - currently made by Fuchs (previously Castrol) - it is what a VW dealer would use.

I have a Passat 1.9tdi myself (not the Sport) - have owned it from new - now 175,000 on the clock and still going. i service it myself - very straight forward.
One further point - do you know when the cambelt was last changed? If these snap then they are likely to write off an old car! VW (UK) recommend these are done every 80,000 mile or 4 years (whichever first) - but this is likely overkill as apparantly other countries do not have this requirement - in the US I think it is every 100,000 with no time limit. I used to have mine done every 4 years but now not bothering now as it costs £350-400 to change - so I'm testing whether the recommended time limit is a scam or not - time will tell!!
Van197318 m ago

One further point - do you know when the cambelt was last changed? If …One further point - do you know when the cambelt was last changed? If these snap then they are likely to write off an old car! VW (UK) recommend these are done every 80,000 mile or 4 years (whichever first) - but this is likely overkill as apparantly other countries do not have this requirement - in the US I think it is every 100,000 with no time limit. I used to have mine done every 4 years but now not bothering now as it costs £350-400 to change - so I'm testing whether the recommended time limit is a scam or not - time will tell!!

Good point, not sure when last one was changed on mine, is yours passat as well, I will probably look at symptoms of if it requires changing, thanks
Cambelt is usually 80k-100k or 10 years whichever comes first. Some older 1.9 tdi's required changing at 40k but they updated bearings in the pulleys so eventually extended suggested mileage. If you're not sure then have it changed anyway unless it's very low mileage and/or less than 10 years old.

They often sell service kits on eBay, With or without oil so you could buy that elsewhere.

Oil and oil filter change is minimal service and I do that between normal services just to help extend life and health of engine.

Fuel, air and pollen filter are the other things you could/should exchange at regular service.

Another thing I'd recommend is remove and clean the egr valve. It will run much smoother with a clean egr. They become clogged and cause lumpy running etc.
Hunt_Deal_Hunt22 m ago

Good point, not sure when last one was changed on mine, is yours passat as …Good point, not sure when last one was changed on mine, is yours passat as well, I will probably look at symptoms of if it requires changing, thanks

A failing cambelt won't really show any symptoms, They usually just snap without any warning. Then it's bye bye engine as all your valves become bent etc.
.MUFC.5 m ago

A failing cambelt won't really show any symptoms, They usually just snap …A failing cambelt won't really show any symptoms, They usually just snap without any warning. Then it's bye bye engine as all your valves become bent etc.

£300-£400... but the part seems so cheap though

cartech-one.co.uk/en/…523
Hunt_Deal_Hunt3 m ago

£300-£400... but the part seems so cheap though h …£300-£400... but the part seems so cheap though https://www.cartech-one.co.uk/en/product/1097581-timing-belt-kit/v-18523

Yes, They're cheap, It's the labor that costs. Yes it is a ripoff, I'd also recommend having the water pump changed at the same time as you wouldn't want to pay that again to fix a £20 water pump ;).
Edited by: ".MUFC." 16th Jul
.MUFC.18 m ago

Cambelt is usually 80k-100k or 10 years whichever comes first. Some older …Cambelt is usually 80k-100k or 10 years whichever comes first. Some older 1.9 tdi's required changing at 40k but they updated bearings in the pulleys so eventually extended suggested mileage. If you're not sure then have it changed anyway unless it's very low mileage and/or less than 10 years old.They often sell service kits on eBay, With or without oil so you could buy that elsewhere.Oil and oil filter change is minimal service and I do that between normal services just to help extend life and health of engine.Fuel, air and pollen filter are the other things you could/should exchange at regular service.Another thing I'd recommend is remove and clean the egr valve. It will run much smoother with a clean egr. They become clogged and cause lumpy running etc.

I would suggest the OP to take it easy at first.
Use your suggestion on the next service when he feels more confident.
gcmarcal4 m ago

I would suggest the OP to take it easy at first. Use your suggestion on …I would suggest the OP to take it easy at first. Use your suggestion on the next service when he feels more confident.

Yes I agree, I'm not suggesting he change the cambelt himself. It can be a ball ache if you get it wrong. However if it hasn't been done and it's either done 80k+ or is 10 years old then I wouldn't gamble. I'd have it replaced.
Van19733 h, 2 m ago

Generally the cheapest place to buy service parts online is …Generally the cheapest place to buy service parts online is carparts4less.co.ukJust enter your reg number on the site and it will tell you what parts you need.I generally purchase Bosch parts - may be a £ or two more expensive than the lowest price option but you are assured quality with Bosch. For a "major" service you need oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and fuel filter - for a minor service just the oil and oil filter. All easy to do yourself - many videos available on youtube showing how to do it.I'd purchase the oil from ebay - you will need quantum platinum 5W40 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-VW-Quantum-Platinum-PD-Oil-5-Litres-5w-40-5w-40/132252186497?hash=item1ecad83781:g:LTAAAOSwYIxX-OIrEDIT: carparts4less do a price reduction EVERY weekend - normally 15-17%, use code FINAL15 for 15% off- expires tonight. If miss it don' worry as there will be another discount next Friday!

I found a cheaper one

ebay.co.uk/itm…185

Carparts4less seems to be expensive then this,

Also I am not sure if my vehicle has DPF filter or not it's 2007 passat tdi sport
Eurocarparts normally have codes you can use to get a decent discount.

Check carparts4less too. Same company.

You need engine oil (recommend castrol), fuel filter, oil filter, air filter and possibly a pollen filter, if that hasnt been changed recently.

Bits will cost around 60-70 quid (for Bosch or Mann parts, budget parts can be found cheaper, but Bosch/Mann are the best shout). And a reputable garage shouldnt charge more than about 25-40 for a service.
Use Code Flash50 to get 50% off all service parts
KingNav3602 h, 52 m ago

Eurocarparts normally have codes you can use to get a decent discount. …Eurocarparts normally have codes you can use to get a decent discount. Check carparts4less too. Same company. You need engine oil (recommend castrol), fuel filter, oil filter, air filter and possibly a pollen filter, if that hasnt been changed recently. Bits will cost around 60-70 quid (for Bosch or Mann parts, budget parts can be found cheaper, but Bosch/Mann are the best shout). And a reputable garage shouldnt charge more than about 25-40 for a service.

Would love to find a garage that would changed all above parts for £25 around Newbury Berkshire
Hunt_Deal_Hunt16th Jul

Would love to find a garage that would changed all above parts for £25 …Would love to find a garage that would changed all above parts for £25 around Newbury Berkshire

Damn. I live in Accrington. Standard price that around here for a service
Van197310 h, 6 m ago

Generally the cheapest place to buy service parts online is …Generally the cheapest place to buy service parts online is carparts4less.co.ukJust enter your reg number on the site and it will tell you what parts you need.I generally purchase Bosch parts - may be a £ or two more expensive than the lowest price option but you are assured quality with Bosch. For a "major" service you need oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and fuel filter - for a minor service just the oil and oil filter. All easy to do yourself - many videos available on youtube showing how to do it.I'd purchase the oil from ebay - you will need quantum platinum 5W40 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-VW-Quantum-Platinum-PD-Oil-5-Litres-5w-40-5w-40/132252186497?hash=item1ecad83781:g:LTAAAOSwYIxX-OIrEDIT: carparts4less do a price reduction EVERY weekend - normally 15-17%, use code FINAL15 for 15% off- expires tonight. If miss it don' worry as there will be another discount next Friday!

Do I also need to spark plugs ? thanks
Hunt_Deal_Hunt24 m ago

Do I also need to spark plugs ? thanks

You don't have any in a diesel.

You will have glow plugs but if you don't have a warning light on and it starts ok there is no need to think about changing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants