Expired

Services like Graze

Found 8th Oct 2014
I used to subscribe to Graze - graze.com/uk

But at £4 a throw these days it's a little harder to stomach for what are usually just diddy snacks (or am I both greedy & cheap)

I was wondering if anyone knew of any similar services or is it one of a kind?

1. Ask
  2. Graze
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Graze
9 Comments

Graze is nice , but I agree expensive for what you get. I buy a mix of dried fruits , individual cookie packs , snack bars , fruity health bars and have box of different things to choose. Much cheaper and can stock up when offers on. I got little plastic lidded boxes for fruits and nuts mix and do own.

go to lidl and buy bags of nuts and dried fruits for cheap and weigh up a few ounces of each and then bag up.

Sorry I don't know of any similar but cheaper service. I only get the boxes when they're offering me half price or whatever. Unfortunately home made boxes just aren't as good as there are always bits that you can't find in the shops. Also their flapjacks are gorgeous - far superior to the supermarket ones suggested in that lipglossiping blog.

therealslimkaty

Sorry I don't know of any similar but cheaper service. I only get the … Sorry I don't know of any similar but cheaper service. I only get the boxes when they're offering me half price or whatever. Unfortunately home made boxes just aren't as good as there are always bits that you can't find in the shops. Also their flapjacks are gorgeous - far superior to the supermarket ones suggested in that lipglossiping blog.

shame they only give you an inch worth.

the problem with Graze is that it's sent to you. Let's assume they get a bulk postage discount and it costs £1 a box to send to you, probably more like £1.50 realistically, then they only have £2.95 left to create, source, bake/make, pack, ship, market, advertise, package, and post the box to you. The margins must be as miniscule as the size of their snacks.

Original Poster

espirit77

the problem with Graze is that it's sent to you. Let's assume they get a … the problem with Graze is that it's sent to you. Let's assume they get a bulk postage discount and it costs £1 a box to send to you, probably more like £1.50 realistically, then they only have £2.95 left to create, source, bake/make, pack, ship, market, advertise, package, and post the box to you. The margins must be as miniscule as the size of their snacks.

See the thing is, from my experience at least the bulk postage they will pay works out at a lot less than that.

Also, a quarter of their sales are profit - or were when these figures came out. 10 million in profit.

The problem as I see it is that they have grown a lot and been able to lower their overheads per box judging by the trebling of profit, but in fact they have only ever INCREASED the price of their product. They've presumably done this because most people are willing to pay it and they can afford to shed a few tight stragglers like me - fair play really but given their success it's just natural a competitor will spring up.

I take the points about making my own but the bits I really liked from the graze boxes were the bits you couldn't get anywhere else or at least buying the variety of bits was in fact cost prohibitive. I mean knocking up something like this is more hassle than it's worth but at the same time £1 per diddy box regularly is too much ideally.

pre-tax profits of £9.5m on revenues of £40.2m
So let's say a box costs £3.99, that's almost £1 direct into the profit column and £2.99ish left to create, source, bake/make, pack, ship, market, advertise, package, cover the VAT of 66.5p and post the box to you
as good an idea it is, it's ridiculously overpriced
ft.com/cms…tml

i'm not familiar with their products but my DIY version is a box of pumpkin seeds, almonds, sesame seeds and a handful of pistachios and walnuts.

interesting. had no idea they were this big or this profitable. fair play to them but i will be making my own from now on... i really feel they are overpriced and their spam is annoying.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions