Groups

Setanta sports facing administration, about bloody time n all!

Cash-strapped sports broadcaster Setanta could be forced into administration this week after failing to make payments due on TV rights, reports said.
    Deloitte is on standby to act as administrator for the firm unless it agrees a last-minute rescue with its investors, the Sunday Times and the Sunday Telegraph said.
    The Irish firm, which showed England's 4-0 World Cup win away to Kazakhstan on Saturday, is struggling to pay cash owed to football associations under its rights deals.
    Setanta - which was unavailable for comment - has about 1.2 million customers but this is well below the 1.9 million it needs to break even, the Sunday Times says.
    If the company fails to cut its rights payments or raise more cash from investors and falls into administration, it could trigger a fire-sale of TV rights, including the England national team's away qualifiers and FA Cup matches.
    ITV and Setanta won the contract from the Football Association in 2007 before the recession hit, impacting on advertising revenues.
    The FA is said to have rebuffed attempts by Setanta to reduce its £150 million share of the £425 million four-year deal by 25%.
    Setanta also has rights to screen matches from the Barclays Premier League, which is awaiting a £35 million payment later this month, the Sunday Times said.
    Last week it failed to pay the £3 million owed to the Scottish Premier League under the final instalment of this season's TV deal, and has until on Monday to come up with the cash.
    It has also been seeking to cut the price of its current £125 million deal with the SPL. The SPL has agreed to pay the £3 million outstanding from its own funds to its 12 member clubs to ease the financial pressure.

43 Comments

Original Poster

they are a joke company, this is what happens when you dont treat your customers right!

glad i didnt go with virgin now for setanta - whats going to happen with the sports now - will sky get the rights ?

awfully glad, sick of paying an extra £13 on top of my sky subscription

Is it true virgin top subscribers got it for free?

Banned

I'm a customer... but I still hope they go bust. I'm only paying £3 a month or summut, so not bothered if I lose a percentage of a month - it'll be worth it.

Any suggestions on the quickest and securest way of cancelling the contract I have with them. I hear it can be a bit of an issue? Some suggest cancelling with them and then staopping the direct debit.

dinglebin;5432552

Any suggestions on the quickest and securest way of cancelling the … Any suggestions on the quickest and securest way of cancelling the contract I have with them. I hear it can be a bit of an issue? Some suggest cancelling with them and then staopping the direct debit.

I phoned up, you have to give 28 days notice

Had bother after that though, they tried to take another payment after I cancelled direct debit, Claimed they hadn't had a phone call.

Now they say they take me to court if I don't pay another instalment of £12.99, I don't think so!

dinglebin;5432552

Any suggestions on the quickest and securest way of cancelling the … Any suggestions on the quickest and securest way of cancelling the contract I have with them. I hear it can be a bit of an issue? Some suggest cancelling with them and then staopping the direct debit.

Letter sent by recorded deliver + stopping the direct debit seems to be the popular option. Apparently, they don't accept cancellation by phone or email, and they commonly continue taking payments if you don't manually cancel the DD.

By the way, consider yourself lucky that they are going under - this hopefully means that you won';t be getting the twice-daily "No, please, come back" phonecalls that I got. If you do get them, I recommend swearing angrily and loudly at the person who called you until they sound upset. They just don't respond to being asked nicely.

Stupid question, any advice to a customer of theirs?

Banned

tigerallstars;5432665

Stupid question, any advice to a customer of theirs?

yep - cancel your DD NOW!

if they are denying your phone call ever took place did they actually stop your access to the setanta channels or do you still have access and aren't paying?

What actually happens if a company attempts to take a direct debit payment from you and you have cancelled it? who contacts you? The bank or the company?

The company.

dinglebin;5432552

after numerous phone calls i was told i had to write tothem to cancel, i sent it recorded delivery so i had proof they got it... joke of a company, good to see they are going bust

we pay £15 a month!

oldmankensey;5432528

awfully glad, sick of paying an extra £13 on top of my sky subscriptionIs … awfully glad, sick of paying an extra £13 on top of my sky subscriptionIs it true virgin top subscribers got it for free?

Yes, but only XL customers I think.

Re rights, the administrators will put out for a quick fire sale, which wil probably mean SKy as who else can afford it.

BBC might be able to cherry pick FA Cup but I can't see the admin breaking up the packages, they don't care how much they get for it, they make as much as possible as quickly as possible, order of preference goes

Administrators Fess
    Secured creditors i.e. Bank loans
    Fixed / Floating charges i.e. banks debentures
    Pref claims i.e. unpaid wages
    Unsecured creditors i.e. SPL
    Tax Man

these form categories, a category has to be able to be paid in full or a % to each creditor in that group i.e. 1 creditor in group C can't receive more than another they all must receive 100% or X % and only once 100% of a group in the above order is paid do they move onto the next.

So I can't see them maximising value, Sky will just get a discounted rate.

The problem is (like the Northern Rock) once the story gathers momentum more and more will cancel sending Setanta in downward spiral.

greg_68;5432830

The problem is (like the Northern Rock) once the story gathers momentum … The problem is (like the Northern Rock) once the story gathers momentum more and more will cancel sending Setanta in downward spiral.

good point

Banned

wulshaz;5432751

we pay £15 a month!

why?

i havent a clue we have been with them for years well 4! and when we joined we got some sort of discount and after that it went to 15 i thought this was what everyone was paying?

dinglebin;5432692

if they are denying your phone call ever took place did they actually … if they are denying your phone call ever took place did they actually stop your access to the setanta channels or do you still have access and aren't paying?

dinglebin;5432701

What actually happens if a company attempts to take a direct debit … What actually happens if a company attempts to take a direct debit payment from you and you have cancelled it? who contacts you? The bank or the company?

it was the company that contacted me, anyway I never noticed if it was still working at the time, I cancelled 28 days before the proper footy was to finish, Definitely not on now though

wulshaz;5433325

i havent a clue we have been with them for years well 4! and when we … i havent a clue we have been with them for years well 4! and when we joined we got some sort of discount and after that it went to 15 i thought this was what everyone was paying?

I was 9.99 last season and £12.99 this season

i have always been 15 have checked back bank dd think i will have to look out a phone number

brilliant

as much as i think its a rip off to get sky tv then pay for sky sports then to be told the match u wanna see is on sultanna i dont like to see choice disapear and this will leave us with sky again....

wewontgetfooleda;5433603

as much as i think its a rip off to get sky tv then pay for sky sports … as much as i think its a rip off to get sky tv then pay for sky sports then to be told the match u wanna see is on sultanna i dont like to see choice disapear and this will leave us with sky again....

Setanta wasn't a choice though, it was an addition... it's not like you could have either SKY sports or Satanta if you want to watch the Premier League matches... you needed to get BOTH if you wanted to watch all the games.

I for one am happy to see them go, I already pay for SKY sports to get the football, and refuse to pay an extra £15 or whatever to get another few games via Setanta.

Hopefully sky will snap up more premier league games, UFC and boxing.

Banned

Babbabooey;5433637

Setanta wasn't a choice though, it was an addition... it's not like you … Setanta wasn't a choice though, it was an addition... it's not like you could have either SKY sports or Satanta if you want to watch the Premier League matches... you needed to get BOTH if you wanted to watch all the games.I for one am happy to see them go, I already pay for SKY sports to get the football, and refuse to pay an extra £15 or whatever to get another few games via Setanta.

The thing is for those only with freeview, Setanta gave them premiership games for a minimal amout of layout each month. It suited certain people. This will just prompt more people to join sky, and they will put their prices up to reap the reward

Two points here guys;

1) The matches shown on Setanta for the Premier league are the ones Sky used to show as PayPerView, meaning you still had to pay for them, and it cost more through Sky. At least some Virgin customers get them free, as opposed to no-one with Sky.

2) Sky will NOT be able to claim these extra matches which are shown on Setanta (IF they go bust) as there are 3 football packages the Premier league sell to the TV companies. No one broadcaster is allowed the rights to all 3 packages, they have to be split, though Sky are due to get 2 of them from 2010 anyway, leaving Setanta with about 20 games a year.

Hopefully these will go to one of the terrestial channels, possibly ITV.

Wonder who will get the US PGA Golf. Sky used to have this before last year. Hope sky get it back then I'll be able to watch it in HD!!

Banned

have setanta paid the full amount for the premiership games then? maybe this will leave a few clubs even worse off, next year.

maybe the bbc should bid for the games

i have setanta, and i have to say, what a wonderful service it is, i have no complaints about the quality of their coverage, likewise about their customer services/support all in all a top notch service

Babbabooey;5433637

Setanta wasn't a choice though, it was an addition... it's not like you … Setanta wasn't a choice though, it was an addition... it's not like you could have either SKY sports or Satanta if you want to watch the Premier League matches... you needed to get BOTH if you wanted to watch all the games.I for one am happy to see them go, I already pay for SKY sports to get the football, and refuse to pay an extra £15 or whatever to get another few games via Setanta.

+1

££ JASE ££;5434075

Two points here guys;1) The matches shown on Setanta for the Premier … Two points here guys;1) The matches shown on Setanta for the Premier league are the ones Sky used to show as PayPerView, meaning you still had to pay for them, and it cost more through Sky. At least some Virgin customers get them free, as opposed to no-one with Sky.2) Sky will NOT be able to claim these extra matches which are shown on Setanta (IF they go bust) as there are 3 football packages the Premier league sell to the TV companies. No one broadcaster is allowed the rights to all 3 packages, they have to be split, though Sky are due to get 2 of them from 2010 anyway, leaving Setanta with about 20 games a year.Hopefully these will go to one of the terrestial channels, possibly ITV.

Hopefully itv
    Yer monopoly is illegal so sky cant own all matches
    Question - where can i watch championship games next season then as was going to get setanta to watch newcastle play

I hope it doesn't go down the pan, I'll miss all the Blue square premier league matches! :lol:

Original Poster

oh bloody hell yet me check if its still on

Still on!:roll:

Banned

its all still on

Banned

BTW, Sky turned down a request for a tax free 50 million quid loan. They said they are a broadcaster, not a bank, although had no wish to see them go into administration.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1322
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866387
      3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4594775
      4. Any PS4 News Here29313801

See more discussions