Groups

Setting up 5.1 surround sound?

I have the Logitech Z506 speakers and was wondering if I have it set up correctly for surround sound. I simply have a 3.5mm jack from the subwoofer receiver straight into the TV. Does this mean that anything that is played on the tv, IE Xbox One, Netflix app on the TV, Fire Stick etc will automatically play in surround sound? Can the TV know it's surround sound or would it just treat it as normal speakers? Or have I completely misunderstood what I am doing?

Thanks!

9 Comments

You get 2.1 from stereo. The Z506 is for analogue audio only, there's no Digital inputs on it.
    https://assets.logitech.com/assets/55403/3/z506-gallery.png

Original Poster

kester76

You get 2.1 from stereo. The Z506 is for analogue audio only, there's no … You get 2.1 from stereo. The Z506 is for analogue audio only, there's no Digital inputs on it.

So the way I have it setup now is 2.1? What way would I have to have it to get true surround sound?

luke279

So the way I have it setup now is 2.1? What way would I have to have it … So the way I have it setup now is 2.1? What way would I have to have it to get true surround sound?

Plug in the extra 3 cables = Centre/Subwoofer/Surrounds. You can get these from a PC but you're going to struggle to find many devices that output analogue 6 channel audio.

Original Poster

kester76

Plug in the extra 3 cables = Centre/Subwoofer/Surrounds. You can get … Plug in the extra 3 cables = Centre/Subwoofer/Surrounds. You can get these from a PC but you're going to struggle to find many devices that output analogue 6 channel audio.

Thank you. I do have all five speakers plus sub connected at the moment, not just the red and white cables, if it looked like I meant I only had the stereo ports connected?

luke279

Thank you. I do have all five speakers plus sub connected at the moment, … Thank you. I do have all five speakers plus sub connected at the moment, not just the red and white cables, if it looked like I meant I only had the stereo ports connected?

​Not sure what you mean but you need to connect the 3x 3.5mm phono sockets to their respected ports. You need a device that outputs 6 channels to use all the speakers on the z506.
    Each speaker is connected to a different input except for the subwoofer channel that gets it's input from the stereo RCAs as well as the subwoofer input.

The z506 doesn't do any surround conversion. I think some of the later models do this and also have optical inputs

kester76

You get 2.1 from stereo. The Z506 is for analogue audio only, there's no … You get 2.1 from stereo. The Z506 is for analogue audio only, there's no Digital inputs on it.

As this picture shows you would need to utilise the green, black and orange 3.5mm inputs at the top to give the subwoofer/amplifier box surround sound. At the moment your TV is just giving one output into the green 3.5mm I guess which is just stereo. As has been said before not many devices give out surround sound via analogue. The green, orange and black all together are really meant to be plugged into a pc, they are pc speakers after all!

Original Poster

MIDURIX

As this picture shows you would need to utilise the green, black and … As this picture shows you would need to utilise the green, black and orange 3.5mm inputs at the top to give the subwoofer/amplifier box surround sound. At the moment your TV is just giving one output into the green 3.5mm I guess which is just stereo. As has been said before not many devices give out surround sound via analogue. The green, orange and black all together are really meant to be plugged into a pc, they are pc speakers after all!

Thanks guys, I understand now.

I have an old Sony DAV-S550 system at my parents house, if I connect this to my TV or Xbox One via optical would that create surround sound, or do these systems only work properly when using the inbuilt DVD player? So, Sony receiver connected to TV via Optical cable, Xbox One into TV via HDMI.

luke279

Thanks guys, I understand now.I have an old Sony DAV-S550 system at my … Thanks guys, I understand now.I have an old Sony DAV-S550 system at my parents house, if I connect this to my TV or Xbox One via optical would that create surround sound, or do these systems only work properly when using the inbuilt DVD player? So, Sony receiver connected to TV via Optical cable, Xbox One into TV via HDMI.

​It should work fine as 5.1 optical is widely used.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. CAR QUESTION: Difference Between Lexus IS300 and Lexus IS300h?615
      2. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?44
      3. Led light bulbs. Never used them, what do I need to know?813
      4. Amazon prime subscribe & save34

See more discussions