Setting up a business, domains,email,web advice

Found 31st Aug 2017
I've been thinking of setting up a business like a window cleaning company.

I have a name I'd like to use and would like to register/protect it. I have paid £10 to google for a domain name with a .co.uk thinking it would add me to google search, maps, when searching window cleaners etc have I done the right thing? Or has Google just swallowed up my name? As nothing comes up, I take it I need servers? Website etc

as you can see I really have no clue (quite embarrassed tbh) any website business owners out there who can give me some steps towards setting things up?.

would be really appreciated any small steps advice on where to start as the internet is just branching off all over the place and would like some basic pointers..

many thanks in advance

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
29 Comments

You need to buy the domain name from a registrar and then you will need hosting to make your website live on the internet. Once this is live you need good SEO on your website for it to appear high on Google results, you can also register you business with Google so it shows on maps etc.

Original Poster

Thank you very much for your reply really appreciative.

I have bought a domain from Google so will this make it easier to register with Google once I have a website?

I would also like email but not hotmail, or Gmail? Google did offer me this but was £3.30 a month which as a starter I didn't want to commit to just yet.

also are these Go daddy websites anygood?.

I really need to read up, I'm absolutely clueless when it comes down to this sort of thing. My apologies

Ok so if you own the domain you should have login details to access name servers etc. You will need to purchase a hosting package in which you will get unlimited email addresses usually. All the websites I have built and maintain for others are hosted with a company called Krystal but hundreds of companies can be found with a quick google. Personally as you have little knowledge of domains and websites I would use Wordpress it's free and very user friendly, stay clear of Go Daddy they are good as a registrar but that's all IMO.

This is far too complicated and long winded to help here. I would be happy to guild you though what you need without charge via email. I've done this work for about 20 years and will see you ok. Although for a window cleaning it's unlike to get you work. You need to think far more local free newspapers, Asda, parish council magazines etc. (sorry also worked as start-up business advisor for some years)

Original Poster

No login details, I don't think anyway?.

I bought my name.co.uk for £10 a year so unsure what it does.

I think Pullis is right perhaps far to complicated for an Ask, but please do keep advising as with all angles covered I,m sure I'll get my head round it.

Id like to take up your offer Pulisout extremely good of you btw, its humbling to see kind people willing to help out personally. Wow!,,

Thank you all
Edited by: "mxer450" 31st Aug 2017

This isn't too difficult and certainly isn't something you should be taking advice on by PM. No disrespect to the person offering to help but it isn't a transparent process and it is clear you don't know what you need.......

I run two limited companies with limited IT knowledge. It is possible.

You have bought your name (your domain) and now you need to put it on the internet (host it). You can do that for a nominal sum. The email can be a freebie (gmail or hotmail for example) or use your hosting package for the email.

The rest is down to hard work. Social media, SEO (read more than you can ever imagine) and word of mouth. Good luck.

You can typically get email as part of a hosting package, so the complete "thing" can compose of parts provided by the same or different suppliers.
1. Name registration & renewal - just owning the name doesn't do much.
2. Name hosting - and the cheap way is redirection to free webspace on your ISP, though this is not as common as it used to be.
3. Website hosting
4. Making your website - this may be with an online site builder using templates, stock clipart and some ability to bring in your own pictures to a layout, or it may be with builder software and then upload.

Setting up a business page on Facebook would be a good idea, that may filter in to searches as well

PulisOut51 m ago

This is far too complicated and long winded to help here. I would be happy …This is far too complicated and long winded to help here. I would be happy to guild you though what you need without charge via email. I've done this work for about 20 years and will see you ok. Although for a window cleaning it's unlike to get you work. You need to think far more local free newspapers, Asda, parish council magazines etc. (sorry also worked as start-up business advisor for some years)

I'd disagree about not getting you work... Fully agree with your comments about traditional advertising but that will eat into budgets. Local businesses and services can rank really well from a local SEO perspective. Window cleaning isn't likely to be hugely competitive - in addition to the website, setting up a Facebook page should be seen as essential (you could even point your domain to a Facebook page if you wanted).

ipswich7841 m ago

I'd disagree about not getting you work... Fully agree with your comments …I'd disagree about not getting you work... Fully agree with your comments about traditional advertising but that will eat into budgets. Local businesses and services can rank really well from a local SEO perspective. Window cleaning isn't likely to be hugely competitive - in addition to the website, setting up a Facebook page should be seen as essential (you could even point your domain to a Facebook page if you wanted).

It's an opinion, certainly all companies should have a web presence but my experience has shown me that time for small local companies is better spent locally. Yes if someone wants a window cleaner they might well search the web and they might well find your page but that only the first step it's not the magic button that makes them buy. In some cases it can be the a turn off, if the site is slow or unprofessional for example. Far better is a card in a window, small ad or a leaflet - it's a reminder of where to find a window cleaner and where most people might look first

PulisOut51 m ago

It's an opinion, certainly all companies should have a web presence but my …It's an opinion, certainly all companies should have a web presence but my experience has shown me that time for small local companies is better spent locally. Yes if someone wants a window cleaner they might well search the web and they might well find your page but that only the first step it's not the magic button that makes them buy. In some cases it can be the a turn off, if the site is slow or unprofessional for example. Far better is a card in a window, small ad or a leaflet - it's a reminder of where to find a window cleaner and where most people might look first

More and more people are turning to local pages on facebook though for recommendations for this sort of stuff. Our local 'discussion' group is full of this kind of thing, and people always respond tagging their friends that may be able to assist - but how many of these are actually followed up? I'd guess at minimal. If someone can respond saying "try Barry, here's his website, have a look for yourself", I'd be far more inclined to click that - for starters, you know that Barry actually does what his friend has said he can do, and isn't just someone trying to take on a job too big for him for some quick cash.

Just my opinion though - I'm not saying don't do the traditional advertising, but don't write off the internet for local business.

What type of window cleaning are you looking to do, residential property or commercial? If residential then facebook might be all you need with a basic website if you want. If commercial then a business is much more likely to search the web for services such as window cleaning. If residential then you also need to consider the area you're looking to work in as it could already be someone's round and they may not be too happy about someone encroaching on their patch, my Dad's a window cleaner, has been for years and that's certainly the case in my area.

Original Poster

Greatly appreciated members, thank you for your quality advice I sure will take all comments on board.

Some fantastic advice, cheers All!!...

People dont home and think "Hmm, I think i'll Google for a Window Cleaner", I know nothing about promoting a Window Cleaning Service, but if I was, I woulkd do it the old fashion ways, bang on doors, leaflet drops, help from friends and family, recommendations etc, its all about the local community, offer incentives, something like New Customers who recommend you get their own windows done free for a month or something along them lines, best way for new Business like this is recommendations.

And try not to step on exsisting Window Cleaners toes.

Original Poster

I'll quickly clear this up, my apologies.

I'm not Window cleaning 1st post "Something Like Window cleaning"..

Just as an example as I'm after advice on Domains, email, web site's for new start ups on all the E stuff.

But thankful for the replies, all good p

You are better off going to Google and looking up a local web designer, do some research on them and choose one. A bad website is worse than none at all. An online development tool will be cheap if not free, but you get what you pay for. Simple. [I've been in the web dev trade for 15 years]

If you want to learn to drive, your best bet is with a driving instructor, as Jim down the road can teach you, but not necessarily to test standards affecting the chance of a first time pass. As its a business you are thinking of setting up, then doing it properly will pay dividends in the end.

You can actually sign up to" Google my Business"without a domain name or website. Providing the business address you put in is one you have physical access to you will appear on the "in my area" search.
Edited by: "Gynx" 2nd Sep 2017

Original Poster

Gynx7 h, 25 m ago

You can actually sign up to" Google my Business"without a domain name or …You can actually sign up to" Google my Business"without a domain name or website. Providing the business address you put in is one you have physical access to you will appear on the "in my area" search.

Your a genius! Exactly what I was looking for and set up with a web page, maps, info, call button. All free and took an hour which is a bonus.Excellent, thank you.

Google my business app is great!

Original Poster

I'm in the process of setting up an account with Krystal to host my website.

The have two options

1, transfer my domain

2, point my domain

I bought my domain from Google so guessing they own it?

Am I best to 1 transfer it, or 2 point it to?...

I have no clue and an unbiased advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance..

Only be weary if you are getting either for free. If you are paying for both (hosting and domain name) then it doesn't really matter whether you transfer the domain or just change the name servers to point to the hosting, the operation of the domain will be the same either way. Some prefer the convienience of having both at the same place as it makes renewals easier, others prefer to penny pinch and have the domain located where renewals will be cheaper. Hope this helps.

Original Poster

Helps alot, Thank you very much!!..

Pleased to find out from you the operation domain will be the same either way. Great!..

Google domain where I got it from says it's locked for 60 days before transfer, so looks I'll be pointing, cheers..

Original Poster

All registered with krystal.

Managed to sort the name servers out.

Now apparently I need a website builder??..

I thought Krystal had all this but apparently not they are just the host for my domain.

So any advice on web building, programs, software how to get Krystal to see it or port it??..would be amazing all!!..

Thank you all for the fantastic advice given, cheers..

Nearly there !!..

Be careful with web builders - some are good (wordpress), but some are simply tosh - and means you are stuck with what it offers and where it is - may not seem a problem right now but can be in 12 months time.

The hosting you are paying for should have some tools you can use. The only one I'd recommend is Wordpress. This should be a one click install (any half decent host offers this) and should be very easy to set up. It is open source (meaning anyone can tinker and write things for it) so it "should" have most of the features you should need. Google is also full of information to help you on your way should you struggle or enounter any problems. So install it then choose your theme then the fun really begins

Original Poster

Thank you.

I tried WordPress as a host, but was a strange website name?..

.business.WordPress.mywebsite.co.uk?

So I'm ok staying with Krystal as a host? Just use WordPress as a builder?..

You misunderstand.... you dont need wordpress as a host. Wordpress is a freely available off-the-shelf web building package

You have a domain name and a hosting package. You point your domain name to that hosting package (by changing the nameservers which i beliebe you have done) once the nameservers have changed over, you should see a welcome page or something on your domain name (so for example youdomain.co.uk will show a "welcome to your new hosting package" spalsh page.

Once this happens, you then log into your Krystal hosting control panel, and you should see options in there (ive never used Krystal so I am just going by what is usually standard...) like MySQL databases, PHPMyAdmin, stats programs, email boxes [where you can set up your email accounts], you should *also* have a few icons to install packages like Wordpress. This should be a once click install where you do input a few settings (eg your domain name, email address, password etc), once these steps are complete, when you go to your domain name yourdomain.co.uk you will see the wordpress installation you have just done above. Then when in wordpress admin you can choose the theme add your logos, pages and content etc.

Original Poster

Goes along way Goshiloveabargain..Thank you very much for an easy concise post, really appreciate your quality advice and time..Cheers

Lots at work telling me to use one on one? Apparently does everything easily?.. haven't had a look myself as yet?

No problem at all.

If you mean one & one, I wouldn't. I can't recommend them I'm afraid. I used them years ago and did have problems (i turned off auto-renewal for a few domains and they renewed anyway them then chased heavily for the money - bit of a joke really). For your domain I would recommend 123-REG. They are not perfect but are as close as.

Original Poster

Thank you Goshiloveabargain you've been fantastic!!, infact, I can't Thank you all enough.

I'm up and running full website 9 pages so far, headers footers, contacts page,email links, buttons. And more It's Amazing!!..

I love WordPress, I can't stop having a play to improve things, it's great!!..

All in for £11 so far and £3 month!...

Extremely happy and grateful to you all

Thank you

Supermod

Great to hear you're sorted @mxer450 Good luck with the business!

You're very welcome mxer450 have fun
Post a comment
@
    Text