Setting up a cheap CCTV system?

12 replies
Found 25th May 2009
i want to set up a cheap surveillance system in my home. does anyone know what i would need to do this and whats the cheapest possible way of doing this.
would aso like it to be wireless if its not too expensive.

1. Misc
  2. CCTV
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. CCTV
12 Comments

we have just set 1 up we went to maplins and got 2 coloured camera not wireless for 29.99 and we r usin 160gb hdd dvd recorder to record everything then delete it after a few days

Original Poster

cookjackie;5312207

we have just set 1 up we went to maplins and got 2 coloured camera not … we have just set 1 up we went to maplins and got 2 coloured camera not wireless for 29.99 and we r usin 160gb hdd dvd recorder to record everything then delete it after a few days

can i set up a system that records onto a computer and deletes after say 3 days or something?

ALICOM007;5312212

can i set up a system that records onto a computer and deletes after say … can i set up a system that records onto a computer and deletes after say 3 days or something?

Yes, you need a device capable of video capture - many TV tuners on PCI, PCI Express card or USB will handle video capture. You will probably connect the camera to the TV tuner or video capture card by way of composite or SVideo, depending on the type of input supported by the TV tuner/video capture card. TV playback software can be used to start recording from the camera at pre-determined times.

To automate deletion of recorded files, you can simply use Windows scheduler and specify 3 day intervals before running a script or program that will delete the files. You could create a simple batch file script that deletes files from the recodings directory. Even cleverer would be to set up a batch file script to go to the recordings directory and then delete based on date and time stamp of the recorded files.

Original Poster

im looking on ebay and theres so many types of cameras. can someone who knows about this give a link or something to exactly what i need to get this system running.

ALICOM007;5312351

im looking on ebay and theres so many types of cameras. can someone who … im looking on ebay and theres so many types of cameras. can someone who knows about this give a link or something to exactly what i need to get this system running.

How significant is the quality required and do you require night time surveilance?

CCD cameras generally have higher vertical resolution than CMOS cameras. The vertical resolution is measured as TVL units - higher the CVL, the better the quality (in theory). CMOS cameras are usually rated below 300 CVL and using these cameras make it difficult to make out certain objects (for example, identifying the face of somebody would be difficult). If you are on a very low budget that is all you will find I'm afraid.

CCTV cameras are also rated for their sensitivity to certain light levels and the unit of measurement in this case is Lux. The lower the Lux level, the better (again this is theoretical). As is usually the case with manufacturers, extrapolated quotes for Lux levels and TVL may be given in order to confuse the consumer into believing that a product is better than it actually is.

Go for a wireless IP camera or three, trhey are not cheap at around £50 each but the bonus is you can add more as/when.

Original Poster

harlzter;5312916

Go for a wireless IP camera or three, trhey are not cheap at around £50 … Go for a wireless IP camera or three, trhey are not cheap at around £50 each but the bonus is you can add more as/when.

i only need 1 cam so that would be ok. wats so good about wireless ip cameras? can u view them online?

ALICOM007;5313168

i only need 1 cam so that would be ok. wats so good about wireless ip … i only need 1 cam so that would be ok. wats so good about wireless ip cameras? can u view them online?

You can view them online, but you can also monitor from your pc and set them to record either non stop or if they detect movement. You can also set them to record footage/snaps online if you have webspace so if the worse happens the scum cant remove the footage.

Brief guide here ezinearticles.com/?Us…976

Original Poster

is this any good item number: 230343955050

ALICOM007;5313194

is this any good item number: 230343955050

looks good on paper but I'd rather go for branded gear with proper support.

Original Poster

you got any links for some good cctv equipment and good prices?

I bought a cheap dvr card for my computer off ebay and a couple of cameras. Cost me less than £30 for the lot from hong kong. Works ok for what I want but obviously not the best setup in the world.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition74845
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk44
    3. Win free gin for a year99
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines65

See more discussions