Setting up a printer while working from home (VPN)

Posted 30th Mar
I'm working from home currently using a VPN to connect a home PC to my office PC

I am trying to install a printer that I can use from the PC I am remotely connected to. It works fine from my home PC but is not working from my office PC.

Is it possible to get it working ?

Any advice greatly received.

Thank You!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Is the printer located at home or in the office? When you say you use VPN to connect to the office computer, do you use Remote Desktop connection (or TeamViewer etc.), or just a network connection to your office to access files?
This is just one site that might help.
support.google.com/chr…=en

Briefly
You need a google account.
You need to use Google Chrome to set up a cloud printer.
You can then print from any device to that cloud printer.

I did read though some weeks ago that Google were withdrawing from maintaining google cloud printing.

edit

or
howtogeek.com/168…et/
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 30th Mar
There is a chance it's not supported. Check with your companies IT Service Desk.

A lot of companies block you installing printers and drivers and if it's a wireless or wired printer is t probably also won't work.

Most VPNs are a 'full tunnel' so you lose all local resources like printers, other devices, NAS boxes etx. and your laptop or PC is effectively connected as if it were in the office.

If your printer is wireless or wired, you're trying to perform a 'split tunnel' who h allows you to access local resources and companies resources but it's not very common as that's how data gets leaked.

Call your IT Service Desk and they'll tell you straight away.

My place doesn't even really like us printing as it's uncontrolled!
Edited by: "darlodge" 30th Mar
Save to your google cloud. Switch to home pc. Print.
myintranet30/03/2020 17:43

Is the printer located at home or in the office? When you say you use VPN …Is the printer located at home or in the office? When you say you use VPN to connect to the office computer, do you use Remote Desktop connection (or TeamViewer etc.), or just a network connection to your office to access files?

The printer is at home, just a cheap all in one. The connection is set up with Watchguard / Remote Desktop.
You might want to think about the security and gdpr implications of holding work data at home
Steve42430/03/2020 22:04

The printer is at home, just a cheap all in one. The connection is set up …The printer is at home, just a cheap all in one. The connection is set up with Watchguard / Remote Desktop.

minefield of a query as so many what if's - you even have whole companies out there that exist answering just this query (e.g. tricerat screwdriver universal printer drivers).

In a nut shell though -
do you have the drivers installed on your office pc?
have you ticked local resources in rdp enabling printers?
Does you office PC allow remote connection printing redirection?
Is watchdog set to also allow/enable this?

In my own work setup there the last two are deliberately blocked and not permitted - Although I would print it to a file and then push it onto one drive or pass another way to get it directly from my home pc and not waste my time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions