Groups

setting up a website help please?

Hi all,

My girlfriend sells paintings and she has done a few exhibitions now and sold some but people keep asking her if she has a website which she doesn't. We need to set one up.

So first things first is this what I need?

1) A domain name
    I've heard of 123-reg - is this generally reccomended?

2) Somewhere to host it
    I see QiQ have a deal on for 11p for 12 months hosting - would this be suitable?

3) picture protection
    How do I stop people simply taking the pictures from the web and getting them put on canvases? I have photoshop so do I just stick some big text accross it diagonally?

4) Paypal integration - hate them but it seems like the best way to go to take payments - this will be setup later but wanted to mention it in case it effects my hosing choice?

I'm quite technical but havn't setup a website since I was at collage about 8 years ago!

Any advice would welcome on any of the above topics!
    Cheers,
    worto.

16 Comments

webeden.co.uk/

this might be useful to you

[url]www.godaddy.com[/url]
    They can help, and have a sale atm.

This is one I use, Its free as long as you update and stay within MB limit. Have a look, it may help.

moonfruit.com/

Original Poster

thanks - I've been having a look at those two links - I think I need to setup the hosting and domain name first then look at building the site.

The .co.uk I want is cheaper on 123-reg than those two and the hosting looks better and cheaper on qiq than on webeden.

webeden.co.uk/pri…htm

qiq.co.uk/qiq…php

unless I've missed something the £20 a year on qiq is similar to the £70 a year webeden one! I don't think the free webeden one will give me enough storage for long as they are images of paintings so can be quite big.

Original Poster

cheers mike - I'll have a look at moonfruit too - if anyone has a website doing anything similar to what I want to do - doesn't have to be paintings but y'know showing photo's of something and taking payments for it then if you wouldn't mind pm'ing me a url to your site and what tool you used to build it that would be great!

maybe I'll buy something too while I'm there - lol

Cheers,
    worto.

Banned

Images can take up lots of space, so you need to be wary of that.

For the type of project you are referring, Id recommend using a software package "Menalto Gallery" (Just google) Very easy to set up and control and you can watermark your images too. Plus you can add a cart for taking payments. Many hosts have this as a one click install - making it even easier!

123-reg is fine...... and Id recommend either 34sp.com or liquidsix.co.uk to host

Original Poster

cheers guv that menalto galery looks useful.

Do you know what 34sp.com or liquidsix.co.uk have that QiQ doesn't have - I only ask because QiQ have a deal on today 11p for a years hosting but don't want to rush into it because of a deal and end up with loads of fustration because I can't easily do what I want!

Cheers,
    worto.

edit - moonfruit & webeden look remarkably similar!

]http//ww…htm
    ]http//ww…tml

This may not be what you are looking for but serif currently have free webhosting with their webplus program. You can include picture galleries, take payments online and various other business related activities.

Banned

worto03;6984698

cheers guv that menalto galery looks useful.Do you know what 34sp.com or … cheers guv that menalto galery looks useful.Do you know what 34sp.com or liquidsix.co.uk have that QiQ doesn't have - I only ask because QiQ have a deal on today 11p for a years hosting but don't want to rush into it because of a deal and end up with loads of fustration because I can't easily do what I want!

QIQ often has these type of offers. AFAIK though, QIQ is just a reseller and your bandwidth is shared within the QIQ account with their own host. The ones I mention are hosts within their own rights. They'll all do the same thing though.

One of the reasons I always recommend those 2 is their support is exceptional. (Email a question and see how long they take to reply!)

Whats the code for the 11p thing BTW? (I normally get emailled them as a former customer, but havent seen anything this time. As I'm cancelling my DH account in a months time, I just need something online for storage!

Original Poster

Thanks

I saw the QiQ deal here

]http//ww…-11

Thanks dcx - I'll try that when I get there - should be easy enough to do in photoshop - I'm a bit tied up with domains at the mo - lol

Talking of domain names do I register as a UK Individual (representing self)?

Banned

worto03;6985014

Talking of domain names do I register as a UK Individual (representing … Talking of domain names do I register as a UK Individual (representing self)?

Yes...... unless its a business thats not "self".

You can hide the details from whois with 123-reg also for free.

Original Poster

Yes...... unless its a business thats not "self".You can hide the details … Yes...... unless its a business thats not "self".You can hide the details from whois with 123-reg also for free.

Thanks - done - it's not a business yet - who knows - maybe one day

right - time to sort out the hosting next,

Thanks for all the help guys - will splash out some rep when I get chance. Not that rep really does justice to this sort of help!

ekmpowershop.co.uk

They will do absolutely everything for you, cheap and incredibly easy. You could be setup and trading within an hour.

I used them for both of my businesses.

guv;6984512

Images can take up lots of space, so you need to be wary of that.

I know, but there are a few work-arounds, I am currently implementing a "viewing" tool for a web based app, and the images are 25gb each! and there are over 150,000 of them.

Original Poster

ekmpowershop.co.ukThey will do absolutely everything for you, cheap and … ekmpowershop.co.ukThey will do absolutely everything for you, cheap and incredibly easy. You could be setup and trading within an hour.I used them for both of my businesses.

thanks but I think £20 a month is too much at the moment - we're really at the beginning of this and won't be making £20 a month from the website at the start.

Original Poster

I know, but there are a few work-arounds, I am currently implementing a … I know, but there are a few work-arounds, I am currently implementing a "viewing" tool for a web based app, and the images are 25gb each! and there are over 150,000 of them.

25Gb!! Do you mean 25Mb?

Our images are going to be around 5-6mb each so not huge.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October36
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?34216
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?31123
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764519

See more discussions