Groups

Setting up shop website?

Any advice, whats the best route?
    How much should it cost?
    Need a website with all the stock and payment features setup.

21 Comments

Banned

a good idea to start is get some free hosting and get a shop management system and play around with the layout and settings until you have it how you like

thats all free

then when your happy with how it looks you can move it to paid hosting

osCommerce oscommerce.com/ is a free online shopping solution. With many paid hosting sites it would be a simple click of a button to install the software (if it's available via the hosts cpanel) then it's a case of configuring it.

You may also want to read a recent PC Pro feature 'How to start a low risk web business' link below:
    pcpro.co.uk/fea…tml

Also E-Commerce forum may help:
    ukbusinessforums.co.uk/for…e=2

I did set up an online shop as a trial not long a go, it did work and wasn't too hard. Did a few tests paying using paypal and all seemed to work, but can't for the life of me remember which package I used (it was free), when I remember i'll post back here....

Just to add, as for cost it can be done for as little as a few pounds a month, it's just the web hosting you need and use free e-commerce software. I don't know a lot about this but I believe the extra costs would be to process credit card payments, would need to look into that.

EDIT: I believe the software I had up and running was Zen Cart: zen-cart.com/

oscommerce, zen-cart and cube cart 3 are all free and all work really good with plenty of support. You'll need a Linux server to run then as windows server tends to have problems with these shop.
    I only use cubecart 3 now for the shops i do. Take a look at ]http//ww….uk as this is using it now.
    all these programs can process paypal and most online payment sites, however if you have a merchant account for a business to process sale yourself then you will need a server with ssl which is costly for good ones.

Original Poster

Thanks, can anyone recomend good/cheap hosts?

Ive been looking at [url]www.ekmpowershop.com[/url] £50 startup £20 per month, is it worth it?

You may want to look up at starting an ebay shop to start with too get your name around. As your biggest problem will be advertising. Then when you get a customer base you can contact them about your eshop.

stanley;5073649

Thanks, can anyone recomend good/cheap hosts?Ive been looking at … Thanks, can anyone recomend good/cheap hosts?Ive been looking at [url]www.ekmpowershop.com[/url] £50 startup £20 per month, is it worth it?

if you use oscommerce / zencart or maybe cubecart its free set up and you can set up a web host from about £6 a month

try 123-reg, 1&1, hostgator

you need mysql hosting and a bit of bandwidth

I have used store2go in the past they are good

Streamline.net is the hosting company i use. i've got the bulk user account which means i can host 10 completely separate sites, each with unlimited dedicated space and 10 MySQL database per site.
    I know this is of no use to you but just giving you a comparison to the one you suggested.

Streamline do an unlimited package for £51 a year (including domain name) which includes a website builder to build a shop based on templates, even if you don't use this website builder the package is everything you need to host oscommerce, zencart and cubecart.

kroozing;5074137

Streamline.net is the hosting company i use. i've got the bulk user … Streamline.net is the hosting company i use. i've got the bulk user account which means i can host 10 completely separate sites, each with unlimited dedicated space and 10 MySQL database per site.I know this is of no use to you but just giving you a comparison to the one you suggested.Streamline do an unlimited package for £51 a year (including domain name) which includes a website builder to build a shop based on templates, even if you don't use this website builder the package is everything you need to host oscommerce, zencart and cubecart.

Wouldnt touch streamline with a barge pole! Awful service, especially their MySQL speeds.

tsohost.co.uk/ is by far the best host I have ever used.

Original Poster

Ok,
    I have looked quickly at:
    ekmpowershop
    123-reg
    tsohost

It looks like they all do the same thing.
    Which is best for a noob shopkeeper.

]Bigcartel looks pretty easy to setup and use. Seems all transactions go through Paypal.

It seems to be aimed at selling band's merch but i'm sure you can seel whatever you wish

Stanley, PM me (Your PM inbox is full). I may be able to help you.

Shane

Original Poster

Right, think im nearly there.
    Am i correct in thinking i first need to find a host (looking at either [url]www.cubewebsites.com[/url] or [url]www.tsohost.co.uk[/url]), then register a domain name (on tsohost or 123-reg) would like a .co.uk and .com linking to same site. Then use an ecommerce solution (looking at oscommerce.com) to load onto host and then set up the contents of the site.

Will the basic packages on cubewebsites or tsohost be ok for a shopping website listing around 300+ different items

Also not really sure how to upload the oscommerce software so any pointers would be appreciated.

stanley;5140358

Right, think im nearly there.Am i correct in thinking i first need to … Right, think im nearly there.Am i correct in thinking i first need to find a host (looking at either [url]www.cubewebsites.com[/url] or [url]www.tsohost.co.uk[/url]), then register a domain name (on tsohost or 123-reg) would like a .co.uk and .com linking to same site. Then use an ecommerce solution (looking at oscommerce.com) to load onto host and then set up the contents of the site.Will the basic packages on cubewebsites or tsohost be ok for a shopping website listing around 300+ different itemsAlso not really sure how to upload the oscommerce software so any pointers would be appreciated.

just make sure the host has mysql installed :thumbsup:

if you want i can set up oscommerce for you (free of charge)

its fairly straight forward though (i have done it 7 times at least)

I would register the domain name(s) first and then look for a host.

stanley;5073649

Thanks, can anyone recomend good/cheap hosts?Ive been looking at … Thanks, can anyone recomend good/cheap hosts?Ive been looking at [url]www.ekmpowershop.com[/url] £50 startup £20 per month, is it worth it?

I use ekmpowershop and its great to be honest, no yearly contracts, can integrate paypal and googlecheckout etc, worth the initial layout and the monthly charge (as long as you sell enough to cover it:-D)

Support is very quick as well,

Original Poster

clondikemike;5140923

I use ekmpowershop and its great to be honest, no yearly contracts, can … I use ekmpowershop and its great to be honest, no yearly contracts, can integrate paypal and googlecheckout etc, worth the initial layout and the monthly charge (as long as you sell enough to cover it:-D)Support is very quick as well,

But it looks like the other options are very similar, and are much cheaper around £20 per year compared to around £290 on ekm. What does ekm offer that the other options dont, to make it worth that much more?

Original Poster

faevilangel;5140435

just make sure the host has mysql installed :thumbsup:if you want i can … just make sure the host has mysql installed :thumbsup:if you want i can set up oscommerce for you (free of charge) its fairly straight forward though (i have done it 7 times at least)

Thanks for the offer, i think i can handle it on my own, hopefully. How do you start setting up the layout? Do you have to install it on the host first or can you set it up before loading onto host?

Original Poster

Right trying to figure out oscommerce is quite a job.
    Am i right in thinking if i pay for the web hosting on tsohost.co.uk i have an option to use open source software to set up a store. Is the lite version for £14.99 good enough to host an online store?

stanley;5141131

Thanks for the offer, i think i can handle it on my own, hopefully. How … Thanks for the offer, i think i can handle it on my own, hopefully. How do you start setting up the layout? Do you have to install it on the host first or can you set it up before loading onto host?

ok download the file from their website, then upload onto your host... then use the install package, it will then ask for the mysql database settings etc

stanley;5142164

Right trying to figure out oscommerce is quite a job.Am i right in … Right trying to figure out oscommerce is quite a job.Am i right in thinking if i pay for the web hosting on tsohost.co.uk i have an option to use open source software to set up a store. Is the lite version for £14.99 good enough to host an online store?

yes it is ...... it includes 3 databases which is what you need, make sure you choose mysql not mssql

regarding your other question, you can change the design of the oscommerce using the admin features built in...you can add / remove items and also change the colours etc

Original Poster

faevilangel;5142178

ok download the file from their website, then upload onto your host... … ok download the file from their website, then upload onto your host... then use the install package, it will then ask for the mysql database settings etcyes it is ...... it includes 3 databases which is what you need, make sure you choose mysql not mssqlregarding your other question, you can change the design of the oscommerce using the admin features built in...you can add / remove items and also change the colours etc

Ok,
    Im a bit of a computer dummie, i have downloaded the oscommerce-2.2rc2a.zip file, then when i try to open the install file it says windows cannot open file, how do i do it step by step?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How to unblock a vacuum hose which is completely jammed with dust and fluff…56
      2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1429
      3. Nightmare with BT over Broadband1011
      4. Best £500 student laptop choice?22

See more discussions