setting up website

Hi All

thinking of buying a domain to set up a website but unsure how to go about it - i can build it as i know html etc but never done the domain purchasing bit...

22 Comments

Have a look at this guide:

foursquareinnovations.co.uk/sof…tml

Then head over to either [url]www.123-reg.co.uk[/url] or [url]www.daily.co.uk[/url] to get your UK domain.

simpley choose your domain from any company (i use 123reg as they are cheap) then you need to purchase domain space, now this can be with 123 reg but the are quiet dear for hosting space. if you choose to get space elsewere then you need to transfer the domain you purchased to whoever you get domain space with.

Original Poster

kroozing;5583561

simpley choose your domain from any company (i use 123reg as they are … simpley choose your domain from any company (i use 123reg as they are cheap) then you need to purchase domain space, now this can be with 123 reg but the are quiet dear for hosting space. if you choose to get space elsewere then you need to transfer the domain you purchased to whoever you get domain space with.

so i can buy the domain from 123 and the space from somewhere else? does this usually work out cheaper?

fireexit;5583593

so i can buy the domain from 123 and the space from somewhere else? does … so i can buy the domain from 123 and the space from somewhere else? does this usually work out cheaper?

It can work out cheaper but the real bonus is the flexibility. If you have issues with your hosting company you can always repoint your domain. Also, usually they would sit on different parts of the network so provide some redundancy.
For hosting, I use vidahost.com - they have good packages starting from £20 per year. Their customer service is excellent - I got an email last night saying that my site had stopped responding around 3am the previous morning and they had traced and resolved the issue. They apologised and offered a SLA credit against my renewal - for £20 ayear!!!

For domain registration I use domainmonster.com as they offer more control over your domain than 123reg but most users dont need this level of control - I havent actually compared pricing between the two.

fireexit;5583593

so i can buy the domain from 123 and the space from somewhere else? does … so i can buy the domain from 123 and the space from somewhere else? does this usually work out cheaper?

I find it works out cheaper unless you go for a company that offers a free domain name with every hosting. but be careful, make sure the domain that they register is in your name and not theirs

kroozing;5583809

I find it works out cheaper unless you go for a company that offers a … I find it works out cheaper unless you go for a company that offers a free domain name with every hosting. but be careful, make sure the domain that they register is in your name and not theirs

Very good point - many charge either £10 or $20 to 'release' the domain if you finish your hosting with them

Get the domain from a separate provider other than your host.
When I wanted to leave my old host, I had to pay £20 to have my domain released (though the domain was in my name).

+1 for vidahost - for customer service they are excellent.

domain - [url]www.123-reg.co.uk[/url]
hosting - [url]www.no-wires.co.uk[/url] -

i have used both of them loads in the last few weeks and would recommend them

unknownuser;5584288

Get the domain from a separate provider other than your host.When I … Get the domain from a separate provider other than your host.When I wanted to leave my old host, I had to pay £20 to have my domain released (though the domain was in my name).+1 for vidahost - for customer service they are excellent.

If it was a .com or .net then it's common practise to charge that amount.

eep! this just reminded me to renew my domain, it expires tomorrow.

As others have said, 123-reg is great for .co.uk domains, very cheap! I can reccomend lunarpages they offer a free domain and decent packages, I got a domain with them and it was free to release it when my package expired. They have some voucher codes knocking about too. Though double check before buying anywhere! It's pretty simple really, you just point the domain at your host and it should all work fine within a day or 2, usually sooner! Also microsoft offer free .com domains at the moment that you can release for free! I'll get you the link if I can find it.

smallbusiness.officelive.com/en-GB/
double check there domains are still free, if you want to cancel or release the domain you have to go to a special page
support.smallbusiness.officelive.com/efo…x=1
details here:
peter-v.com/how…ar/

definately bookmark if you get a free domain from them as you'll need it!

Just been looking through the site and don't think they offer the free domain anymore =[ still worth a look though as I might have missed it..

kroozing;5585965

If it was a .com or .net then it's common practise to charge that amount.

No it was a .co.uk

Banned

kroozing;5583561

simpley choose your domain from any company (i use 123reg as they are … simpley choose your domain from any company (i use 123reg as they are cheap) then you need to purchase domain space, now this can be with 123 reg but the are quiet dear for hosting space. if you choose to get space elsewere then you need to transfer the domain you purchased to whoever you get domain space with.

No. Don't transfer, just point the nameservers to the host you are using.

fireexit;5583593

Usually, yes. But it also gives you lots of flexibility. I would never choose to hold a domain and host with the same company.

Original Poster

whats the difference between basic hosting and shared hosting on vidahost.com?

Banned

fireexit;5587127

whats the difference between basic hosting and shared hosting on … whats the difference between basic hosting and shared hosting on vidahost.com?

All hosting will be shared hosting unless you are paying a pretty hefty amount for your own server. I doubt you would be doing the latter.

Original Poster

thanks guys! i have gone with vidahost and have sorted the name servers

Thanks!!

unknownuser;5586991

No it was a .co.uk

Well thats harsh :x i got charged for the .net and .com but not for the .co.uk and .info

fireexit;5587127

whats the difference between basic hosting and shared hosting on … whats the difference between basic hosting and shared hosting on vidahost.com?

Not much really, they are both virtually hosted i.e you are sharing a physical server with other users but you cant see them and they cant see you - so its just like having your own. This allows them to keep the individual costs low. Dont worry about performance as these physical servers are beasts often with 4 or 8 processors and maxxed out memory etc.

The basic package has less bandwidth, diskspace and fewer email accounts etc than the others - dont worry if you need to upgrade during the life of the contract as they will upgrade in a matter of minutes and only charge the difference pro-rata.

If you want to know or ask more, give them a call. They are open until 11pm and its a freephone number

kroozing;5587856

Well thats harsh :x i got charged for the .net and .com but not for the … Well thats harsh :x i got charged for the .net and .com but not for the .co.uk and .info

probably because the .com and .net are controlled by internic which are pretty hopeless if you need to take control of your domain by force - hence the domain hosters charge you cause they no you cant really do much about it or it takes forever.

.co.uk and other UK domains come under Nominet and they will take control and assign it to you (assuming you can prove you are the registrant) for 11.75 + VAT. They sometimes also step in and ask the registrar to free it up or else they'll cancel their status (if they think they have been naughty or overcharging) so most tend to give it to you free.

Just to put my case in context:

It was a free .co.uk name though I did pay them ~£20 a year for email services & the charge was clearly stated in their terms & conditions listed as an admin fee.

I used [url]www.heartinternet.co.uk[/url] the .co.uk domain name cost £2.99 a year for 2 years and then used their free hosting package. It doesn't give an awful lot but is adequate for a home website.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any PS4 News Here29213592
    2. Any Xbox One news today?2356124
    3. GOT Leaks again416
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763949

See more discussions