'Seven fewer' McVitie's Digestives in packs because of Brexit - Sky News

Found 19th JanEdited by:"m00head"
news.sky.com/sto…339

Quote:
"McVitie's is shrinking the size of a packet of Digestives because of price increases caused by the Brexit drop in the pound, it claims.

The company said the value of sterling has made ingredients more expensive and it did not want to damage the quality of the biscuits.

A packet of Digestives will be shrunk by 20%, from 500g (17oz) to 400g (14oz), equivalent to removing seven biscuits from a pack of 34.

It follows a similar change by McVitie's in the number of Jaffa Cakes, from 12 to 10.

The company said more than 10% of its 700 products - which include HobNobs - would also be shrunk down.

McVitie's was unable to provide Sky News with a full list of these products when asked.

The change to products as an indirect result of the EU referendum has drawn comments from campaigners.

Francis Grove-White, the deputy director of the Open Britain campaign, said: "No wonder the latest polling shows support for hard Brexit is crumbling. The everyday consequences of the post-Brexit fall on the value of the pound are difficult to digest.

"The Brextremists are taking the biscuit with their support for a recipe of leaving the Single Market and the Customs Union.

"They need to accept we cannot have our cake and eat it, or our economy will be cream crackered by a hard Brexit."

A spokesperson for the Department for Exiting the European Union was not immediately available for comment."
Community Updates
MiscEntertainment
Top comments
Banned
Just thank God it has nothing to do with profit margins and share holders!

T
he big Donald would have said "No way folks, no way" and Mcvities would have cancelled the decrease in an instant.
I buy the marksies ones, they taste better, are cheaper (44p) and made in the same factory
hass12330 m ago

Food companies have been providing less food for the same price …Food companies have been providing less food for the same price (“shrinkflation”) long before “Brexit” was ever considered, thanks mostly to the economic crash of 2008, so no shocker to see another company resorting to such actions. And people wonder why Aldi and Lidl have risen up the retail ranks over the past decade....

This ^^^^^^^^^
Amazingly, I remember buying a 10p bag of sweets in the 70s, you don't get that anymore.
Blame brexit.
I remember petrol being £2 a gallon, not anymore.
Blame brexit.

Fact, prices go up or you get less for your money over a period of time.

Edit, just to add, I don't like their digestives anyway.
Edited by: "shadey12" 19th Jan
splender1 h, 39 m ago

Very soon, there may be a new word , Breentry, let us see if you get seven …Very soon, there may be a new word , Breentry, let us see if you get seven more biscuits.The answer is probably no, thus defeating the meaning of the word, brexit.

I think manufacturers will use any 'brexuse™'
46 Comments
Banned
Just thank God it has nothing to do with profit margins and share holders!

T
he big Donald would have said "No way folks, no way" and Mcvities would have cancelled the decrease in an instant.
I buy the marksies ones, they taste better, are cheaper (44p) and made in the same factory
deleted1431257
Food companies have been providing less food for the same price (“shrinkflation”) long before “Brexit” was ever considered, thanks mostly to the economic crash of 2008, so no shocker to see another company resorting to such actions. And people wonder why Aldi and Lidl have risen up the retail ranks over the past decade....
Edited by: "deleted1431257" 19th Jan
No! My fave biscuit. Better start stockpiling 500g packs.

They shrank packets of chocolate digestives and chocolate HobNobs long before Brexit I'm not buying their excuse. But I am buying their biscuits

themachman21 m ago

I buy the marksies ones, they taste better, are cheaper (44p) and made in …I buy the marksies ones, they taste better, are cheaper (44p) and made in the same factory

I'll have to try those
hass12330 m ago

Food companies have been providing less food for the same price …Food companies have been providing less food for the same price (“shrinkflation”) long before “Brexit” was ever considered, thanks mostly to the economic crash of 2008, so no shocker to see another company resorting to such actions. And people wonder why Aldi and Lidl have risen up the retail ranks over the past decade....

This ^^^^^^^^^
Amazingly, I remember buying a 10p bag of sweets in the 70s, you don't get that anymore.
Blame brexit.
I remember petrol being £2 a gallon, not anymore.
Blame brexit.

Fact, prices go up or you get less for your money over a period of time.

Edit, just to add, I don't like their digestives anyway.
As long as my choccy Hob Nobs are safe!?
Original Poster
chuckiedoll3 m ago

As long as my choccy Hob Nobs are safe!?

"The company said more than 10% of its 700 products - which include HobNobs - would also be shrunk down."

"McVitie's was unable to provide Sky News with a full list of these products when asked."
m00head1 m ago

"The company said more than 10% of its 700 products - which include …"The company said more than 10% of its 700 products - which include HobNobs - would also be shrunk down.""McVitie's was unable to provide Sky News with a full list of these products when asked."

33097549-pCmk2.jpg
Very soon, there may be a new word , Breentry, let us see if you get seven more biscuits.
The answer is probably no, thus defeating the meaning of the word, brexit.
splender1 h, 39 m ago

Very soon, there may be a new word , Breentry, let us see if you get seven …Very soon, there may be a new word , Breentry, let us see if you get seven more biscuits.The answer is probably no, thus defeating the meaning of the word, brexit.

I think manufacturers will use any 'brexuse™'
This is all an excuse. Remember when one electricity company puts prices up and the rest follow, well this is exactly the same tactic as they are copying cokecola
At what point will products start getting more expensive, because they can't get any smaller?
Saw this earlier today and was waiting for it to appear on here.

A few less fat people around in the next few years then
Their biscuits are rank nowadays. And as i have the original recipes in the loft its easy to see where theyve cut back on quality as well as quantity.
hooray.henry28 m ago

Their biscuits are rank nowadays. And as i have the original recipes in …Their biscuits are rank nowadays. And as i have the original recipes in the loft its easy to see where theyve cut back on quality as well as quantity.

Why do you have the original recipes in the loft?
Graham19798 h, 5 m ago

Just thank God it has nothing to do with profit margins and share …Just thank God it has nothing to do with profit margins and share holders!The big Donald would have said "No way folks, no way" and Mcvities would have cancelled the decrease in an instant.

33099602-ms2MH.jpg
Another company to avoid
Me thinks companies are just taking advantage and using Brexit as an excuse to maximize profit.
.MUFC.1 h, 50 m ago

Me thinks companies are just taking advantage and using Brexit as an …Me thinks companies are just taking advantage and using Brexit as an excuse to maximize profit.

Well yeah.

You voted to make people richer than you even richer. That's why they spent years telling you what to think and then how to vote.

And you don't even realise it.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals1 m ago

Well yeah.You voted to make people richer than you even richer. That's why …Well yeah.You voted to make people richer than you even richer. That's why they spent years telling you what to think and then how to vote.And you don't even realise it.

Yawn ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.
.MUFC.5 m ago

Yawn ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.

Go on then, surprise us all and say that you're going to be better off under brexit or that wealthy individuals won't be better off.

You were manipulated and taken advantage of as you have been all your working life.

Your wages have gone down in real terms, your kids services will be worse and now you've not even got as many biscuits to numb the pain.
Got polo mints today. First time in few years and my they have shrunk as well.
shabbird1 h, 4 m ago

Got polo mints today. First time in few years and my they have shrunk as …Got polo mints today. First time in few years and my they have shrunk as well.

I bet they are smaller, cost most and didn't dare write the same as you remember.

I noticed boxes of malteasers got small at Christmas, first time in forever. They used to be 20g bigger than the pouches. Practically the same now. Was really noticeable just by picking the box up. Loads of them were misshapen, but hoping that's coincidence.
shabbird2 h, 6 m ago

Got polo mints today. First time in few years and my they have shrunk as …Got polo mints today. First time in few years and my they have shrunk as well.

Polo mints have been rubbish for decades since they went vegetarian.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals3 h, 7 m ago

Go on then, surprise us all and say that you're going to be better off …Go on then, surprise us all and say that you're going to be better off under brexit or that wealthy individuals won't be better off.You were manipulated and taken advantage of as you have been all your working life.Your wages have gone down in real terms, your kids services will be worse and now you've not even got as many biscuits to numb the pain.

Manufacturers were shrinking products long before Brexit, First they blamed the credit crunch, now they will blame Brexit. Blame Brexit for your own failings, blame Brexit for your tears, blame Brexit for the impending implosion thanks to Brexit etc.. I'll sacrifice a few biscuits. They've probably seen my new year resolution.
MSK.3 h, 19 m ago

I bet they are smaller, cost most and didn't dare write the same as you …I bet they are smaller, cost most and didn't dare write the same as you remember. :(I noticed boxes of malteasers got small at Christmas, first time in forever. They used to be 20g bigger than the pouches. Practically the same now. Was really noticeable just by picking the box up. Loads of them were misshapen, but hoping that's coincidence.

much smaller.. about 20-25% smaller. 1 pack cost 60p but 2 for £1 so bought 2.
shabbird5 h, 9 m ago

What, they had no hole in them
MSK.8 h, 58 m ago

I bet they are smaller, cost most and didn't dare write the same as you …I bet they are smaller, cost most and didn't dare write the same as you remember. :(I noticed boxes of malteasers got small at Christmas, first time in forever. They used to be 20g bigger than the pouches. Practically the same now. Was really noticeable just by picking the box up. Loads of them were misshapen, but hoping that's coincidence.

Probably a knock off brand. Try buying Maltesers next time.
grex910110 m ago

Probably a knock off brand. Try buying Maltesers next time.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of junk food, you are a sprehical pink blob afterall. You must know best.
.MUFC.16 h, 48 m ago

Manufacturers were shrinking products long before Brexit, First they …Manufacturers were shrinking products long before Brexit, First they blamed the credit crunch, now they will blame Brexit. Blame Brexit for your own failings, blame Brexit for your tears, blame Brexit for the impending implosion thanks to Brexit etc.. I'll sacrifice a few biscuits. They've probably seen my new year resolution.

And you blame the EU and immigration for your lot in life.

You voted to make your life better. That's who you are Shayne. Please teach your kids that if they want a better life than the one they grew up in, they have to do it for themselves.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals8 m ago

And you blame the EU and immigration for your lot in life.You voted to …And you blame the EU and immigration for your lot in life.You voted to make your life better. That's who you are Shayne. Please teach your kids that if they want a better life than the one they grew up in, they have to do it for themselves.

Are you stuck on auto repeat.
.MUFC.47 m ago

Or a few biscuits short of s packet?
.MUFC.9 h, 45 m ago

Hope you had a good Christmas, devoted to your kids.
.MUFC.7 m ago

Quit trolling.

Sorry kids, I know other dad's spend Christmas Day devoted to their children but I need to berate a woman on a shopping forum.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals21st Jan

Sorry kids, I know other dad's spend Christmas Day devoted to their …Sorry kids, I know other dad's spend Christmas Day devoted to their children but I need to berate a woman on a shopping forum.

Yawn, you've been a berating troll on this site from your first profile through to your latest one. I'm a great parent, However I don't need to justify myself to a belittling little internet troll like yourself. Go crawl back under your rock. You just don't like the fact that I stand up against people like you.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals47 m ago

Sorry kids, I know other dad's spend Christmas Day devoted to their …Sorry kids, I know other dad's spend Christmas Day devoted to their children but I need to berate a woman on a shopping forum.

It's strange how some devoted father's manage to spend so much time looking at other people posting history and googling their username, isn't it.
.MUFC.31 m ago

Yawn, you've been a berating troll on this site from your first profile …Yawn, you've been a berating troll on this site from your first profile through to your latest one. I'm a great parent, However I don't need to justify myself to a belittling little internet troll like yourself. Go crawl back under your rock. You just don't like the fact that I stand up against people like you.

Do you think someone seems obsessed shaun? Out of his limited posts today, he's mentioned your kids a lot,
33109885-hEqUN.jpg33109885-SXOK7.jpg33109885-ryLOj.jpg33109885-Q8873.jpg
It's good that you two are there for one another. I imagine the holidays can be tough for those whose loved ones shun them.

Edited by: "HotEnglishAndWelshDeals" 21st Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions