SEVERE WEATHER WARNING!

Found 10th Dec 2017
The AA have warned anyone travelling in snow or icy conditions should take a shovel, blankets/sleeping bag, extra clothing (including scarf, hat and gloves) 24 hours supply of food and water, de-icer, rock salt, a torch, spare batteries, petrol can, a first aid kit and jump leads.

I looked like a right **** getting on the train. 🚂

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

Segata-Sanshiro4 h, 37 m ago

This country is a joke, a light dusting of solidified water and everyone …This country is a joke, a light dusting of solidified water and everyone goes crazy

Have you ever driven in the snow or ice??

The folks that still need to get out and about to work when the weather gets bad may indeed go crazy.
We all know that you wouldnt really have a clue about that though

Segata-Sanshiro9 m ago

Why not its not like they won't fit on the next car they buy

Yeh true it isn't like tyres come in different sizes.

Segata-Sanshiro3 m ago

Places like Iceland and Greenland seem to manage perfectly fine

That's because they plan for it and spend money on it. Like they do in London.

Segata-Sanshiro53 m ago

This country is a joke, a light dusting of solidified water and everyone …This country is a joke, a light dusting of solidified water and everyone goes crazy

I'm sure it's fine if you never have to leave London. Can assure you it's more of a problem to those in the country.
51 Comments

very good

This country is a joke, a light dusting of solidified water and everyone goes crazy

>. I looked like a right **** getting on the train. 🚂

Segata-Sanshiro53 m ago

I'm sure it's fine if you never have to leave London. Can assure you it's more of a problem to those in the country.

MSK.2 m ago

I'm sure it's fine if you never have to leave London. Can assure you it's …I'm sure it's fine if you never have to leave London. Can assure you it's more of a problem to those in the country.

Segata-Sanshiro3 m ago

That's because they plan for it and spend money on it. Like they do in London.

I've just driven eighty miles to take visit Crewe railway heritage centre (not my choice) Got there just as they were closing early due to the severe weather, had a sandwich in the car park, went to Costa coffee and drove the eighty miles back. At no point anywhere on this epic journey was there more than half an inch of snow

MSK.13 m ago

That's because they plan for it and spend money on it. Like they do in …That's because they plan for it and spend money on it. Like they do in London.

Do they? Where i don't think throwing a bucket of grit in the bushes is preparing, years ago we used to have grit bins alo g tne streets but they are all gone and the airport's are never prepared

Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 32 m ago

Its because we aren't used to it. That's all. People like to moan but that's why things grind to a halt. Also we are a wet country so light dusty soon turns to lethal ice.

I have a mini shovel and Google maps with all the pubs showing. If I can't dig my way out I'm going to drink in the nearest pub... That's what the queen did all them years ago when she got caught out...

psychobitchfromhell1 h, 55 m ago

I've just driven eighty miles to take visit Crewe railway heritage centre …I've just driven eighty miles to take visit Crewe railway heritage centre (not my choice) Got there just as they were closing early due to the severe weather, had a sandwich in the car park, went to Costa coffee and drove the eighty miles back. At no point anywhere on this epic journey was there more than half an inch of snow

Don't know which direction you were going to visit Crewe but certainly there is more than a half an inch of snow in the West Midlands and Staffordshire with disruptions likely tomorrow and schools shut.

Admittedly as a kid of the 80s it is no worse than the flurries we had then and still had to trudge to school, but certainly there are areas of the country including our own that do claim to most certainly have more than "half an inch" of snow which you seem dismissive of.

g8spur1 h, 29 m ago

Its because we aren't used to it. That's all. People like to moan but …Its because we aren't used to it. That's all. People like to moan but that's why things grind to a halt. Also we are a wet country so light dusty soon turns to lethal ice.

32692686-12lU6.jpg

cicobuff20 m ago

Don't know which direction you were going to visit Crewe but certainly …Don't know which direction you were going to visit Crewe but certainly there is more than a half an inch of snow in the West Midlands and Staffordshire with disruptions likely tomorrow and schools shut.Admittedly as a kid of the 80s it is no worse than the flurries we had then and still had to trudge to school, but certainly there are areas of the country including our own that do claim to most certainly have more than "half an inch" of snow which you seem dismissive of.

I was coming from the north easterly direction. Friend sent me a photo of his garden in Birmingham and he had a fair smattering. I travelled up the m6 to Manchester and across the m62. There wasn't even that much up by saddleworth moor. Nowhere near as much as they predicted around here. Not that that is a bad thing.

Segata-Sanshiro2 h, 13 m ago

Do they? Where i don't think throwing a bucket of grit in the bushes is …Do they? Where i don't think throwing a bucket of grit in the bushes is preparing, years ago we used to have grit bins alo g tne streets but they are all gone and the airport's are never prepared

We've got a grit bin on my street. Watched a whole pile of people try and fail to drive out on Friday and none of them thought to get a shovel out and use the grit. Had a grit bin in that last street I lived in too until some bright spark set fire to it.

MSK.2 h, 32 m ago

I'm sure it's fine if you never have to leave London. Can assure you it's …I'm sure it's fine if you never have to leave London. Can assure you it's more of a problem to those in the country.

you can be in London and still struggle. Have not seen a grit truck in 15+ years near me. The council only
grits the main roads.

psychobitchfromhell14 m ago

I was coming from the north easterly direction. Friend sent me a photo of …I was coming from the north easterly direction. Friend sent me a photo of his garden in Birmingham and he had a fair smattering. I travelled up the m6 to Manchester and across the m62. There wasn't even that much up by saddleworth moor. Nowhere near as much as they predicted around here. Not that that is a bad thing.

Sadly the weather might have put paid to our house moving plans before Christmas into a new build awaiting inspection check, first world problems I know.

cicobuff17 m ago

Sadly the weather might have put paid to our house moving plans before …Sadly the weather might have put paid to our house moving plans before Christmas into a new build awaiting inspection check, first world problems I know.

That's a pain. Last thing you need is a Christmas full of packing cases.

I’m just back home having driven from Edinburgh to Nairn leaving at 7am this morning. It was -7 when leaving and it got down to -12. Loads of snow around but roads ok. A long day!

Segata-Sanshiro4 h, 37 m ago

Have you ever driven in the snow or ice??

The folks that still need to get out and about to work when the weather gets bad may indeed go crazy.
We all know that you wouldnt really have a clue about that though

It snowed here but an inch at best and it's been raining after.
This morning I get a text from work manager talking about how lots of people texted to say they can't get into work tonight due to the snow... Lol.

I am sure no one is walled inside their houses due to the "epic" inch of snow that's fallen down.
They can get a taxi like I'm going to do if they can't drive or use buses...

psychobitchfromhell3 h, 46 m ago

I've just driven eighty miles to take visit Crewe railway heritage centre …I've just driven eighty miles to take visit Crewe railway heritage centre (not my choice) Got there just as they were closing early due to the severe weather, had a sandwich in the car park, went to Costa coffee and drove the eighty miles back. At no point anywhere on this epic journey was there more than half an inch of snow

Jeeez you are that scary even the snow gives you a wide berth

hearts2214 m ago

It snowed here but an inch at best and it's been raining after. This …It snowed here but an inch at best and it's been raining after. This morning I get a text from work manager talking about how lots of people texted to say they can't get into work tonight due to the snow... Lol. I am sure no one is walled inside their houses due to the "epic" inch of snow that's fallen down. They can get a taxi like I'm going to do if they can't drive or use buses...

How would getting a taxi help if they can't drive? Surely walking is safer than driving. I would have thought the last thing you should be doing if you can help it is being in a car.

MSK.4 m ago

How would getting a taxi help if they can't drive? Surely walking is …How would getting a taxi help if they can't drive? Surely walking is safer than driving. I would have thought the last thing you should be doing if you can help it is being in a car.

Because roads are clear so I assumed the problem was the snow outside their houses blocking their own cars.

philphil6132 m ago

Fire breathing Dragon. I melted it all

philphil6132 m ago

takethatfan197847 m ago

Have you ever driven in the snow or ice?? The folks that still need to get …Have you ever driven in the snow or ice?? The folks that still need to get out and about to work when the weather gets bad may indeed go crazy. We all know that you wouldnt really have a clue about that though

Au contraire; crazy is what some people do best.

32693742-T1lDU.jpg

takethatfan197856 m ago

I’m just back home having driven from Edinburgh to Nairn leaving at 7am t …I’m just back home having driven from Edinburgh to Nairn leaving at 7am this morning. It was -7 when leaving and it got down to -12. Loads of snow around but roads ok. A long day!

That's a beast of a journey even in good weather. Is the lecht blocked yet?

op didn't even have all that stuff... he always looks a right '***' getting on the train

Original Poster

2 snowman in a field, one says to the other “ do you smell carrots ?”

cicobuff3 h, 42 m ago

[Image]

Yes I'm sure that very accurate, most of us are used to yellow ice and snow unfortunately.

Snow = proving the English are all work shy buffoons.

Everywhere I have worked in the last 20 years snow days make me laugh. Slightest white and sudden everyone is afraid to walk, drive, get on a train.... feeble...

the amount of times times I have rocked up and hardly anyone else shows and then obviously people get a free day off.

id lump Scots and Welsh In too but never worked there.

We need trump over here - Make Britain great again.

If anyone wants to beat us In a war they just need to invent a weapon to make it snow.

joanddan756 m ago

Snow = proving the English are all work shy buffoons. Everywhere I have …Snow = proving the English are all work shy buffoons. Everywhere I have worked in the last 20 years snow days make me laugh. Slightest white and sudden everyone is afraid to walk, drive, get on a train.... feeble... the amount of times times I have rocked up and hardly anyone else shows and then obviously people get a free day off.id lump Scots and Welsh In too but never worked there. We need trump over here - Make Britain great again. If anyone wants to beat us In a war they just need to invent a weapon to make it snow.

Snow cannon? Been around for years.
For many years I worked an evening shift starting about three and finishing at midnight. The day shift finished at five thirty. If it snowed they would let the day shift knock off early as soon as the evening shift made it in. I never could work that out. If we could get in, surely they could get home two hours later. How much more likely would it be that we would have problems getting home when we left at midnight? It fell on deaf ears.

hearts226 h, 44 m ago

Because roads are clear so I assumed the problem was the snow outside …Because roads are clear so I assumed the problem was the snow outside their houses blocking their own cars.

That's some very specific snowfall.

psychobitchfromhell3 h, 57 m ago

Snow cannon? Been around for years. For many years I worked an evening …Snow cannon? Been around for years. For many years I worked an evening shift starting about three and finishing at midnight. The day shift finished at five thirty. If it snowed they would let the day shift knock off early as soon as the evening shift made it in. I never could work that out. If we could get in, surely they could get home two hours later. How much more likely would it be that we would have problems getting home when we left at midnight? It fell on deaf ears.

Did you get paid more for night shift work? My assumption would be money because money money money.

MSK.2 h, 10 m ago

Did you get paid more for night shift work? My assumption would be money …Did you get paid more for night shift work? My assumption would be money because money money money.

No. Did we heck. Same as day shift.

MSK.3 h, 33 m ago

That's some very specific snowfall.

Roads are clear because they have been cleared as it normally happens.

I thought it was pretty obvious lol

Segata-Sanshiro15 h, 50 m ago

Have worked with canadian, russian and Finnish colleagues who despair at us, but to be fair we simply don't get enough practice at bad winter weather, the majority of the time its just grey, cold and damp.

How are you supposed to build experience with driving on snow and ice if it only happens a couple of days a year?, if we had a good 3-4 month proper winter am sure we would get much better.

It's just not worth it.

Spending millions of pounds on snow clearing equipment, just for a day or two's use per year. Also, the snow in some countries is dry and powdery, which is easier to deal with. Here, it tends to be wet and slushy which is harder to deal with.

I've been waiting over 5 years to use my bike snow/ice tyres again

MSK.13 h, 47 m ago

How would getting a taxi help if they can't drive? Surely walking is …How would getting a taxi help if they can't drive? Surely walking is safer than driving. I would have thought the last thing you should be doing if you can help it is being in a car.

My daughter works in a nightclub at weekends, I usually pick her up at 3 in a morning, not great when it's -4 and the roads are frozen over. So I decided to get her a taxi over the weekend because my theory is, let them smash there cars up, not worth me smashing mine up. Yeah I've had the misfortune of sliding down a hill into a van. Snow doesn't bother me too much but I'll only go out in it if I have too.

For once my area is avoiding snow, it is a bit too cold to snow here probably.

And for people saying they get to work and their colleagues don't you have to remember that some people live higher up. I always get snow when glasgow doesn't even though it is only 5-10 miles away.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions