Sexy HTPC case suggestions

I am hoping to buy all the components for an HTPC to put together this weekend. The only thing holding me back is a sexy and slinky case to put them in. Ideally I am looking for a case which isn't too tall so it doesn't look out of place sitting besides my 360, potential sky box, potential surround sound system, Dreamcast, PS2, Saturn, N64 etc.

Anyone have any suggestions? Also I'm not interested in anything stupidly expensive like some of the £800+ cases with LCD screens. Something ideally £200 or less. The more less the better.

8 Comments

what system are you putting in it?
and more importantly what is the motherboard size?

Original Poster

I don't know what you mean by system. It will be some low power Intel/AMD setup. Maybe with a SSD drive for Windows. Preferably ATX although mATX is ok. It would be used for a bit of gaming but mainly will be hooked up to my NAS drive to stream films to my lounge TV.

i would suggest you go for mATX for media.

How much are you planning on spending? cos you might be able to go even smaller.

Original Poster

All together I was hoping to spend less than £400 as I have some bits like HDD and RAM if compatible to dump in there. I would like the occasional bit of gaming and I have heard that mATX motherboards / cases aren't so great for graphics cards.

Ideally I am after something less than 5 inches tall which I know restricts my choice somewhat. I can go taller but i'm worried it may screw up the look of my shelving :-(

autolesbona;5992475

All together I was hoping to spend less than £400 as I have some bits … All together I was hoping to spend less than £400 as I have some bits like HDD and RAM if compatible to dump in there. I would like the occasional bit of gaming and I have heard that mATX motherboards / cases aren't so great for graphics cards. Ideally I am after something less than 5 inches tall which I know restricts my choice somewhat. I can go taller but i'm worried it may screw up the look of my shelving :-(

If you arent doing that much gaming you dont need to worry too much about a high end card.

This is a pretty pimp little system:

Case: ]http//ww…412
Mobo: ]http//ww…=52
Gfx: Low profile 9600GT
Processor: Core 2 Duo.

That should all come in within your budget i would have thought.

What sort of games are you going to play?
If you can sacrifice the high end games you could get an Asrock ION 330:
]http//ww…asp

Makes an awesome HTPC and has HDMI. Im using one as a family PC at the moment, Low powered and you can use the Instant on function which is really nifty. and you can pick it up for £230 or little over £300 (i think) with a Blu-ray Drive (which has had great reviews for BluRay playback).

Original Poster

Cheers for the suggestions JetPac. The asRock looks really good for the money. However I am a bit of a goon (I used to be a manager in an indie chain of PC shops) and ideally want something I can put together myself. So choosing the components isn't such a problem. Its trying to finding a sick looking case that is

Original Poster

This is the new contender with what I would like to get:

scan.co.uk/pro…d-R or
scan.co.uk/pro…oHS

The only thing is with this case is its far less 'tall' than I have worked with so my spec of components would have to be revised

Original Poster

I'm 50/50 on these cases now due to the lack of room for expansion :-( Someone must be able to recommend me an awesome awe-inspiring case
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
    2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
    3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
    4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions